Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #15

Humm - No Truck??? And you want to set this trailer in the woods. I kinda did the same thing for 2 years before I added electricity to the property. I realized I needed at least a Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier to carry stuff.

The Black Tank will be your biggest issue. I used the blue tote, wrestled it into the bed of the Ridgeline and drove 10 miles to a State Park and paid to use their dump facility.

Also Yamaha makes a 2400 watt generator that will run a 13,500 btu A/C unit if you ease into it. Turn A/C on fan for 15 seconds, then min, then max. That way You would not have as huge of a draw on the generator. If I turned the A/C on too fast the generator would trip it's breaker.

For battery I would buy a group 29. That is the larger battery. They have group 24, 27 and 29. Group 24 will be the smallest with the least capacity. The cost difference is about $25 between group 24 and group 29.

Do You have access to water? Will You be able to gravity fill your fresh water tank while on site? That will be another problem as you have to carry water. Duh, another need for a truck.

Like I said I did add electric, if you will be spending a lot of time there having at least electric makes it a lot nicer.

What are the chances someone will mess with your stuff while you are away? Lucky - in 5 years I have not had too much of a problem.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I needed at least a Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier to carry stuff.
Ford Ranger Dodge Dakota
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #17

Yes -Ford Ranger or Dakota. I knew I wanted to carry water, firewood, generator, cooler, canopy, chairs, portable grill. Having a truck really helped. It was the #1 tool that I needed.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #18

rtbdc - No, sadly, it won't run your AC. We have a Yamaha 2400i generator that runs our 15000 BTU AC unit. We fired it up about 10-12 times last summer for a few hours. Last summer was hotter than most. In the past we've used it less than 5 times...

A 500 watt solar setup will probably set you back $3k in parts. That's enough to run everything but the AC. It's what we use for full-time living.

A 150 watt setup will cost less than $1k, and that's enough to run everything in the summertime if you don't spend more than 1-3 hours a day on the computer and watching TV.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
rtbdc - No, sadly, it won't run your AC. We have a Yamaha 2400i generator that runs our 15000 BTU AC unit. We fired it up about 10-12 times last summer for a few hours. Last summer was hotter than most. In the past we've used it less than 5 times...

A 500 watt solar setup will probably set you back $3k in parts. That's enough to run everything but the AC. It's what we use for full-time living.

A 150 watt setup will cost less than $1k, and that's enough to run everything in the summertime if you don't spend more than 1-3 hours a day on the computer and watching TV.
I'd like to further this if I may. You sure you need AC in Oregon? Does your site get a reasonable amount of sun? For less than the price of a Honda 2000i you can do solar. I am. I have 260 watts of solar power (two 130 watt panels in series providing 7 amps at 36 volts) through a sunsaver mppt charge controller that converts this to 15 amps of 15 volt charge power for my 220 amp hour battery bank. All the lights in my camper are LED. I don't use the microwave or AC and have plenty of power. If you must have AC then absolutely you must and solar is out. I would also look at the new champion 3100 inverter at supergen for less than a single Honda 2000i.

Happy Camping, Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #20

Thanks for all the ideas/input!!
The Black Tank will be your biggest issue. I used the blue tote, wrestled it into the bed of the Ridgeline and drove 10 miles to a State Park and paid to use their dump facility.
We’ll be near John Day Oregon and there is a guy who will come take the black water for $40/trip. Do you like that idea better than the blue-tote? The 2 of us will only be there about every other weekend; I just wonder if we could go a month between his visits odor wise?
Yamaha makes a 2400 watt generator that will run a 13,500 btu A/C unit if you ease into it….
Love the batt/29 tip and this AC tip! Our unit is also 13.5m so will check it out!
WATER --- With about 400 feet of hose we can use a neighbor’s well water, versus hauling it…….. (-:
And theft is unlikely; we’re at the end of the road with neighbors bordering our 11 acres on 3 sides…
Thanks again for all the ideas!! Richard
rtbdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #21

The black tank will not emit an oder if you use the drop in chemical pouches. I did the same thing - just being there on weekends. I expected an odor but the chemicals plus water in bowl keeps oder at bay.

You might want to have a Max Air type vent cover installed if You do not have one already so You can leave the roof vent open while you are gone. This will keep the musty oder down after a week of being gone.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #22

Thanks..... That's good to hear!
There is a vent in the bathroom too.... (-:
Old 03-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #23

Several of you mention the Yamaha 2400i generator and the reviews are excellent --- thank you!!! We'll be gone about 2 weeks at a time and wondering if there's any challenge in storing the Gen in the trailer? ie does the gas tank seal-off totally?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #24

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Last spring I replaced my coach batteries with Absorbed Glass Mat. It was a little more money up front, but I was able to find a good deal on sale. I have not regretted it one bit, I highly recommend them. If I were in a situation where I might really need battery power, I wouldn't consider anything else. Add a small solar setup to keep them charged and you should be good to go.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #25

No problem storing a cooled Yamaha 2400is in the trailer. There are no fuel leaks at the cap nor anywhere else.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #26

Thank you Dmiles... Can you clarify what 'Absorbed Glass Mat.' is for us?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #27

Converting all the light bulbs in the trailer (and don't forget the porch light) is one of the easiest and best things you can do to save power.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #28

Sounds goo! Any particular style to ask for?

Tags