Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2007, 05:17 AM   #1

Any opinions welcome as I can not make up my mind !
I am looking at the Rockwood Ultralites... already have the hook-up for the TT but I like the location of the bathroom in the 5th wheel. So I am hoping pro's and con's will help me decide !

Thanks,
Heidi
WebNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2007, 05:17 AM   #2

I am looking at the Rockwood Ultralites... already have the hook-up for the TT but I like the location of the bathroom in the 5th wheel. So I am hoping pro's and con's will help me decide !

Thanks,
Heidi
WebNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Hi Webnut. I see from your other post that you are going to be towing with a Ram 1500. I have towed a 30' TT and a 27' fifth wheel with a '99 Dodge Ram 1500. It did great towing both. I do find the 5th wheel much easier to hitch and unhitch than the TT. But I would strongly discourage you from towing a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton truck unless it is all but the smallest. What you will find is that you will be within your tow limits and GCWR, but the additional hitch weight of a 5th wheel will cause you to exceed the GVWR of the tow vehicle. TT typically have much lower percentage of tongue weight. Make sure you stay withing hte weight ratings of the tow vehicle and you should be fine. I so know that Dodge des not recommend 5th wheel towing with the 1500, had that argument with a car salesman while looking for a new truck. He tried to talk me into a 1500 hemi to tow a 10K lb 5th wheel. Salesman never lie
Old 07-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hedi, you will get the most bang for your buck with a travel trailer and the 1500 series truck. With a 5er, you will exceed your GVWR long before your GCWR as I had posted on our other thread.

The most 5er you can look at is about a 24' and it has to be a lite weight.

You can look at this as...little trucks for little trailers and big trailer require big trucks. We have been the route of a down sized tow vehicle and a larger trailer, within ratings, but pretty well maxed out, and it is not a pleasant experience.

Something you really need to look at since you are new to RVing and are limited with the truck, is a used trailer to start with. This way you can see what you like and dislike and not have big bucks tied up in a truck and trailer. After a few years, look for a larger trailer and then a larger truck to go with it.

You won't get socked for the big depreciation on a new trailer and can easily move to a larger trailer in a few years. With careful shopping, you can drive a used trailer for 3 or 4 years and sell it for no much of a loss if you get a trailer that has a good brand name. A new trailer will cost you 25 to 50% during the first 3 or 4 years.
Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:32 AM   #5

Something to consider .... One of the reasons we sold our fifth wheel was that we do a lot of camping in the winter time (I know florida, yea yea yea) and when you run the heat in a fifth wheel the majority of the heat rises to the bedroom .... so you sweat in the bedroom and 'freeze' in the living area. A TT does not have that problem .... hey said it was just something to consider.

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #6

I personally prefer 5th wheels for their floorplan, handling, and ease of hitching alone. With a 1500, though, I think you would be better with a tow trailer.

5th wheels put about 20% or more of their weight on the hitch. When you add people in the truck and the weight of the hitch it's self, that will limit you to a pretty small 5th wheel.

I guess I'd suggest looking up your truck's gross combined weight rating, gross vehicle weight rating, and run it over a scale so you know what it can handle.

Then go to a big RV show and check out various floorplans and stuff.

I'd suggest that unless money is no object, get a good used one. RV's of all types depreciate hugely, and almost everyone learns from their first one what they really want.

Other than that, get a good weight distributing hitch with anti-sway. Also get a good brake controller. I'd suggest Brakesmart, Jordan, or Technocia Prodegy.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WebNut:

As a part time transport driver, and 5th wheel owner, I prefer pulling a 5er. As others have pointed out, you need the proper truck to do this. 5ers are more difficult to back into a tight spot...and you need to take special precautions if you have a short box.
Thanks,
Heidi </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Magboiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:07 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Magboiler:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WebNut:
. 5ers are more difficult to back into a tight spot...and you need to take special precautions if you have a short box.
Thanks,
Heidi </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to disagree here. I feel like I can get a 5er into a spot that I can not begin to put a TT. I think it does take some getting used to it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
I towed a TT for 15 years and just got a 5er last year. I miss towing the TT. For me it was easier to tow than the 5er, but I am still getting used to the 5er. I had over 60,000 miles on our last TT and only have about 6,000 on the new 5er. The 5er is easier to hook up.

You need the proper set up for either. I had sway control on the TT that solved any sway issues. You need a heavier truck to tow a 5er.

I think backing the TT is easier, but I am still learning the 5er.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #10

Hang in there. It gets better. I was apprehensive when I first started out and that has just about disappeared. If you're having any tow issues then it might be good to check your weights and capacities. Towing was a plus for me from the get-go. I've been to Canada and across the Smokeys' to Florida and I gotta tell ya, the truck rides better and there are times when I almost forget I've got a trailer behind me. I think things will get better for you, not based on the miles you drive, but how many times you're backing into and pulling out of sites. It all gets easier.......

A helpful suggestion that has made my life a lot smother. Installed a 50 gal auxiliary fuel tank in the bed. I assuming you noticed increased fuel stops.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Well I was happy with my Cardinal by Forest River until today. If the warranty department makes this right then I will give them rave reviews but that remains to be seen.

We noticed the return of what we thought was a small leak on a rear side window of the 5vr. Upon removing the trim where the side wall joins the back wall. Top to bottom. We found the entire wall is totally wet. The other side next to the door is also delaminating. The trim was inadequately sealed where the two walls meet and channeled the water to the inside of the walls. The rig is 5 years old and out of warranty. However we will still pursue this matter with Forest River warranty dept since is appears to be a problem caused by inproper assembly during manufacture.

Due to the extensiveness of the damage I feel that it has leaked since delivery. The first year we took the rig back to the dealer for what we thought was a small window leak. Now it appears that the window which continued to indicate leaking was really a low point which seeped. The damage extends above the window as well as below and we know water does not run up.

There is no water damage on the inside of the rig.

Continue to research how well the manufacturer responds to the customer and base your decision on that. The manufacturers slap the rigs together in a few days and the quality is just not there.

Forest River used Kenda tires and had a lot of blow outs (ours included). Kenda had to fix a lot of Cardinal 5vrs. Our axels lost the bow and had to be repaired. That was last summer. This summer it is water damage. It is a pain.
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #12

When we started RVing, we started with a 5th wheel. We have since downsized to a TT. IMHO, here are some things to consider about both TTs and 5ers.
1. The TT is easier to back.
2. The TT is not as high as the 5er. (Easier to remove bugs)
3. The TT has less storage.
4. The TT lets you use the bed of your pickup for storage.
5. For me, hitching and un-hitching is a wash.
6. You can get TTs with the same floorplan as a lot of 5ers. I seen some with 3 slides. Of course you wouldn't want to pull one with a half ton pickup.
7. TTs need proper setup to eliminate sway problems. Hensleys work well but are pricey.

The bottom line is this, get what you want and you'll be happy as long as you stay within the weight limits of your truck.