Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2021, 01:10 PM   #1

A/C freezing us out

I purchased an 18 ft. 2018 Coachman trailer in the fall of 2019 fall. We just used it on a few camping trips and didn’t use the A/C. We did run the a/c a few times for short durations and it seemed ok. This past week we used the a/c and it doesn’t auto shut-off even at the lowest setting. We were freezing during the night. It is a Coleman-Mach unit. Is this normal or should it shut-off when it reaches a per set temperature?
The camper was (per the dealer) used on one time and the owners treaded up to a larger unit.
CJcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2021, 01:37 PM   #2

There is a variety of ways these are set up.

Do you have a thermostat or just a dial on the unit?

If you have a thermostat it should run until it hits the desired temperature and then shut off. Keep in mind that you can set the fan to run all the time or shut off when you reach temperature.

If you have a dial or a range scale, did you try it at both ends of the scale to see if the compressor engaged and disengaged? With these there is often the option for the fan to run all the time or come on and off with temperature.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:00 PM   #3

Coming from a native Phoenician...

I fail to see the problem here

From a native Phoenician who has had AC systems fail in a rental and primary residence, check the thermostat as mentioned. Our camper I had to change the set point from a 1 degree to a 2 degree delta before it would work right. Our issue was opposite, the heat would turn on and never turn off.

Now I can set the thermostat to 67 at night in a cooler climate, heat kicks on at 65 degrees and warms the camper to 69 degrees. Summer time I just try to get it around 22 degrees cooler than outside and turns on/off as expected (usually somewhere around 80-82 degrees I set it, gives me a range of 78-84 depending on outside temps).
4thgenceli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJcamping View Post
I purchased an 18 ft. 2018 Coachman trailer in the fall of 2019 fall. We just used it on a few camping trips and didn’t use the A/C. We did run the a/c a few times for short durations and it seemed ok. This past week we used the a/c and it doesn’t auto shut-off even at the lowest setting. We were freezing during the night. It is a Coleman-Mach unit. Is this normal or should it shut-off when it reaches a per set temperature?
The camper was (per the dealer) used on one time and the owners treaded up to a larger unit.
As posted above, A/C's have different control systems. Assuming your TT A/C does not have a wall thermostat, the fan may run all the time. Mine does. The compressor turns "on" and "off" to control the temperature. The fan continues to run until I turn the unit "off".

Get the make and model of the A/C and look up the Owner's Manual. It may tell you how it is supposed to work.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:59 PM   #5

I have a 2018 coachman viking saga 17bh
the ac Fan running all night was annoying. I installed a thermostat and the converter assembly that converts the knobs on the ceiling to a relay assembly that the thermostat controls. Best $125 bucks spent that included 9’ wire a digital coleman 12v thermostat, and the conversion kit. Install was not hard but it requires electrical knowledge and wiring experience. Now it works like a home a/c. The thermostat i got turns on 1 degree above set temp and turns off 1 degree below set temp. The fan turns on and off when the ac runs.
Pdx camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 10:03 PM   #6

If your thermostat is the knobs on the unit in the ceiling it will not shut off the fan until you manually do it.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:40 AM   #7

A/C conversion Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdx camper View Post
I have a 2018 coachman viking saga 17bh
the ac Fan running all night was annoying. I installed a thermostat and the converter assembly that converts the knobs on the ceiling to a relay assembly that the thermostat controls. Best $125 bucks spent that included 9’ wire a digital coleman 12v thermostat, and the conversion kit. Install was not hard but it requires electrical knowledge and wiring experience. Now it works like a home a/c. The thermostat i got turns on 1 degree above set temp and turns off 1 degree below set temp. The fan turns on and off when the ac runs.
Were can I buy this Kit?
Old 06-11-2021, 10:04 PM   #8

As most rv things cut to fit paint to match.
If i can find the parts i will give you numbers
But its not a paint by numbers kit.
You will likely need a relay assembly
A New thermostat
A 12 v Powersource for the head unit
Wiring from the ac unit to the outside wall/thermostat
Old 06-12-2021, 08:32 AM   #9

Your mileage may vary, follow all electrical codes. Buyer beware.

You will need to verify all parts for compatibility but these numbers will help with that.

https://www.rvpartscountry.com/COLEMAN-08-0033-AIR-CONDITIONERS-RV-COOL-CONTROL-PACKAGE_p_27565.html

https://copezou.com/products/8330-3362-coleman-thermostat-u-digital-heat-cool

Coleman 83303362 Thermostat

COLEMAN AIR CONDITIONERS RV; COOL CONTROL PACKAGE 8330-752

You will have to fish wires thru the ceiling and the wall.
I needed 9 feet 5 or 7 strand 18 gauge thermostat wire and for power 5 feet 14 gauge two wire
Old 06-22-2021, 12:28 AM   #10

I was going to post pictures of this install but i have had other projects. Unless i tear it all apart there is not much to look at.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdx camper View Post
I was going to post pictures of this install but i have had other projects. Unless i tear it all apart there is not much to look at.
Thank you for trying. I understand.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:58 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Coleman makes a digital thermostat for the mach units. It has two AC modes, cool low or high and cool low or high AUTO. If you don't scroll to the auto setting it will run continuously. The digital unit works as described above, 1 degree above set point it comes on, one degree below it shuts off.

Should be a wire for wire swap. Here is the link, top left should be yours

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...al-thermostats
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 12:51 AM   #13

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hpqoalbr5...Snf2KMdpa?dl=0
Not sure how long this link will be active
Pictures show the thermostat, where i stole 12vdc,
The holes i cut to facilitate running wires, the ac unit cover as it is currently installed, and the wiring diagram I made to keep myself organized.
The running of wiring was done mostly with a coat hanger
Good luck

Tags
free