RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 08:54 AM   #1

A/C wiring.

im in need of some info.
1st, i have a 2017 northtrail 29 rets. Caliber edition. Two ac units. 50 amp service.
I am currently traveling through texas where it is extreamly hot this summer. The primary ac unit quit. Called in rv repairman under extended warranty plan. After much testing and disassembly he determined no power to ac unit from power panel. Repairman is assuming a staple was driven into cord at assembly, and finally cut power. Ac unit works fine so warranty company wont cover. Calls it structual. I called northland mfg for some type of help and was really surprised at the snotty, attitude. Said repairman had poor knowlage, was wrong, and wont help even with a second opinion at a dealer .
My question is, how hard would it be to remove one of the ceiling panels to either repair or run new line. It should have a new one because it was wired on same line as microwave, which we dont use. Mfg said ceilings cannot be taken down, repaiman said could but expensive job. Has anyone trued this type of repair? I had my own home and can and have done many repairs just not on TT.
Thanks
Lee
Lee53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #2

Its real hard to access buried wires in the roof and walls and it may be impossible. Consider a new wire to run on top of the roof to a point over a vent or cabinet that gets you to your breaker box. We do that all the time for solar and antennas.

You may get the manufacture to give you the wiring route then you may be able to check it as far as possible.
Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #3

I assume you have a ducted system.....why not run wiring thru the duck and tunnel the wiring down thru a cabinet.......
Old 09-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #4

If I'm reading this right, you said your microwave is on the same line as the A/C that quit?? That doesn't seem right...
If that's true, could be something loose where the microwave plugs in (receptacle box behind the microwave). That would basically be a junction box for the A\C.
I assume he checked that there was power coming out of the circuit breaker and it's not just a bad circuit breaker!
lisaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #5

Running a wire across the ceiling was the repairmans answer for shortest money. But will take a hit on resale by alot. Its not a ducted system, but 2 seperate ac's working independently of each. One (broken) on thermostat other just a switch on machine.
The wiring is done incorrectly . It is tied into microwave circuit. One circuit breaker. Power to micro but none after, thus his assuming a wire is broken. Micro still works. No power at all to ac. I would have to run a line from panel up a wall then across and under ceiling panels to ac. But mfg states cannot remove ceiling panels. They seem to be removable to me, so just asking if anybody has tried that route.. really dissappointed with mfg. Wouldnt even offer a suggestion to fix. Its no use to me in this condition, in the south with extream heat. Repairman said 1500. Min to fix.
Thanks for the help
Lee
Old 09-25-2020, 01:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Look for a junction box that feeds the microwave and you may find a wire that feeds out of there has come loose for A/C unit.

Your repair mans answer is suspect. There are too many connections that are hard to find where wires can and do come loose and things quit working.

Previous poster mentioned this and this is the most likely cause of your problem.

Good luck,

Terry
96Bounder1st is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:53 PM   #7

How many amp breaker has the microwave and AC on it.

How many BTU is the AC ?
How many amps does the micro draw ?

Both on the same breaker makes no sense.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #8

Want to thank you all for the suggestions. They give me some ideas. And to reply to twinboat, its a 20 amp breaker, 13500 btu ac. We never use the micro so tripping the circuit never occurred. Thats the part the repairman said was improperly wired
Old 09-25-2020, 09:14 PM   #9

My thoughts.

Power to the microwave, correct? I assume microwave is plugged into an outlet, or hardwired in a junction box.

How did the tech determine that both micro and a/c are on the same circuit? Did he see the breaker labeled as such, or did he have a wiring diagram? Did he ever remove the outlet for the micro and inspect the incoming and outgoing wires? Did he test the outlet to see if the input and output connection terminals have continuity? Same questions if the micro is hardwired in a junction box.

I ask the above only to find out how the tech concluded there was a broken wire rather than a loose connection.

You may wish to try the following, after removing all AC power to trailer.

If the micro is plugged into an outlet, you can remove the outlet yourself and locate the wires. You can disconnect the incoming wires from the outlet as well as the wires leading to the a/c and temporarily wire-nut them together. That would power only the a/c directly from the panel. Now, if the a/c works, you know the wiring is good. If the a/c still doesn’t work, you can disconnect the wires from the power input, and test them for continuity to determine which wire is broken, hot or neutral.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:37 AM   #10

Its time for a second opinion on how the RV is wired.

If it is wired to both items, he should be able to tone out the wires as proof, even if one conductor is broken.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee53 View Post
im in need of some info.
1st, i have a 2017 northtrail 29 rets. Caliber edition. Two ac units. 50 amp service.
I am currently traveling through texas where it is extreamly hot this summer. The primary ac unit quit. Called in rv repairman under extended warranty plan. After much testing and disassembly he determined no power to ac unit from power panel. Repairman is assuming a staple was driven into cord at assembly, and finally cut power. Ac unit works fine so warranty company wont cover. Calls it structual. I called northland mfg for some type of help and was really surprised at the snotty, attitude. Said repairman had poor knowlage, was wrong, and wont help even with a second opinion at a dealer .
My question is, how hard would it be to remove one of the ceiling panels to either repair or run new line. It should have a new one because it was wired on same line as microwave, which we dont use. Mfg said ceilings cannot be taken down, repaiman said could but expensive job. Has anyone trued this type of repair? I had my own home and can and have done many repairs just not on TT.
Thanks
Lee
Just a few notes for clarity. AC = electricity. A/C = air conditioning. This helps with being on the same page. The microwave will not be on the same circuit as the A/C. Look at your breaker box. I'm sure you will find a separate breaker for each. You need an electrician. Or a voltmeter if you know how to use one. A/C will be a 20 amp breaker. Microwave can be a 15 or 20 amp breaker. Sometime the Microwave is mistakenly put on the GFI circuit. Ceiling panels are not removable. This is not a suspended ceiling system like an office building.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:07 PM   #12

I am with twin boat and Cavie, you need another opinion or a voltmeter. It seems nearly impossible to conceive that someone would put the A/C and Microwave on the same circuit. The only way I could imagine that would be if the trailer only had 3 breakers then you might get (Converter, A/C, and A/C+Microwave). If there were 4 breakers, you'd split the 4 largest draws. Since I want to believe no Manufacturer is that dumb, and I think the run from the breaker to the A/C should be one continuous line, I would guess a bad breaker or loose connection at the breaker or the A/C unit. The staple (or a screw, did you recently add anything) through the line is possible. I would think you'd get some arcing and smell it. I also think it would fail either right a t start up due to the power surge or while running as the damaged wire heated up. In my opinion (worthless essentially) a broken wire is possible but way less likely than the other stuff.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #13

50 Amp service? Having the microwave and one A/C on the same incoming Line would be absolutely normal. Having them on the same 20 amp branch circuit, no.

This is a 5er.. do you have an inverter and battery bank? Considerations in my explanation...

It's typical to have Front A/C on Line 1, Back A/C on Line 2, then the inverter and its loads on Line 1 along with maybe another circuit, too, and the rest of the branch circuits on Line 2. When connected to shore power the inverter goes into pass-through mode sending shore power directly to branch circuit(s) connected to it, and charging the house batteries.

It's unfortunate that Northtrail got snippy with you. You could have been a happier customer and told us how well they helped. Hey, a guy can dream, right?

Final note... if it used to work and now doesn't, what changed, when? After moving a slide room? After traveling (i.e. "it worked at the last camp ground")? Did you smell anything "electrical"?

This is a simple system: 1 A/C and a thermostat. A tech shouldn't have needed more than a few minutes to figure out if the unit was getting power. If it genuinely is not, the question is how does the wiring route and where are the likely points of failure.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:49 AM   #14

I would pull the microwave out of it's hole. It's a popular place to have lots of connections behind it. There are wads of wires behind mine. If nothing is there, look for another hidden place with a lot of wires passing through. I've seen many rv's with the spots that have lots of wire connections. it can be something as simple as a loose connection.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring