Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2020, 07:51 PM   #1

A unicorn of a trailer?

I suppose this could actually be either for a motor home or a trailer. We have a large family, with six of us including 4 kids from 12 to 5. We like camping, and have a Quicksilver 10.0 tent trailer.

This past week we rented a 2004 Sunseeker motor home which had quad bunks in the back, and then the Queen overtop. Was a great setup for us - not too fancy, but a bit long.

So - started looking at trailers given I have an F-150 (though a 5 seater, so that’s an issue). My wife describes what we want perfectly - a trailer with no real frills - no tv, no need for a couch, but a dinette, fridge, stove (no oven - we aren’t going to be baking!) hot water heater, toilet, maybe a shower (though not critical) and then 4 bunks and perhaps a queen bed. Could even be a double bed.

Does such a thing exist? We figure that trailer could be 23-25 feet. But all quad bunk trailers always seem to have a couch, big dinette, and seem to think we might run into the Queen and have her join us in our apartment like trailer, instead of just simple.

Any direction would be great. Even “no - that doesn’t exist”.

My initial thought was to look at older trailers, but I think they get a little heavy?

Thanks!
Macdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2020, 08:08 PM   #2

How many of the kids can share a big wide bunk? They make a trailer with two wide bunks on one side at the back of the trailer with the bathroom to the other side. Thinking the older kid could sleep on the dinette, next oldest kid get a bunk to themselves and the two youngest need to share a bunk.

Would something like this work. It probably can be towed with a F-150.

https://youtu.be/5_5OsUVuBBs
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #3

Did a quick search and found 24ish foot units with 2 bunks, queen, and dinette (sleeps 6),,, but nothing with 4 bunks. There may be something out there but I'm honestly not sure how it could be implemented in that short a trailer length.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you find one with that many beds it will be too big and heavy for an F 150, especially if it is full of human cargo. You might find it in 30 foot plus trailers but it is not reccomended to go longer than 26' with a half ton.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:39 PM   #5

Smallest I could find is a Venture Sonic SN234VBH
https://www.venture-rv.com/2016-prod...-SN234VBH.html

Note, the 4th bunk is made by folding down the rear dinette.

Length: 26.5 ft
GVWR: 5,200 lbs

Depending on the options your F150 has, it may be on the too heavy side.

I don't know anything about this brand of travel trailer. It looks like you will have to buy used as the floor plan isn't listed on their new trailer website. Personally I prefer to buy used and let someone else take the depreciation hit.
jrollf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:44 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Just my 1.5 cents worth..
You said that you rented a motorcoach that worked out well... plain jane, no frills.
What about buying a rental return motor coach just like what you rented???
Mebbe even from the rental company You used???
Then get a light weight 6 passenger rig to tow behind as your people mover when sight seeing or shopping.. (That way You don't have to break camp just to go see the sights

Keep in mind that smaller coaches are nice but become absolutely tiny if you have to spend days on end inside due to weather..

I suggest that you get exactly what you rented.. You will get used to the length within one long outing..(and with 6 people, the extra storage and larger pantry vs a short/ small coach designed for 2 or 3 people is very nice to have..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #7

I think the 2016 Sonic is the best so far. I towed a 5,500lb travel trailer with 2011 F-150 5.0 litre comfortably. The Sonic is lighter but you have more occupants.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:00 PM   #8

This isn't the best photo of my trailer if you decide to go used but this is a 2016 Jay Feather X254. I took the picture to capture the four solar panels I had just installed to show someone at work. It has all the features you were mentioning and as a bonus, it does have a bathtub. The rear portion you see slides out just over 5 feet for a king size bed (74"x76") with two sets of bunk beds at the front with each bed supporting 300lb. The slideout king supports 200 lb while retracted and 1,200 lb when extended. It has a listed weight of about 4800 lb before you add a battery and I tow with my 2012 Tundra Crewmax.

Google "2016 Jayco Jay Feather X254" if you want to see a layout or walk thru video. They were around $26k-$27k msrp new back in 2016. We like it because a bed is a bed and a seat stays as a seat unless we add guests beyond our family of five. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200616_123629.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	294962
Stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
The Venture Sonic SN234VBH might be about as close a compromise as you can find. Tops out at 5200 GVWR and 26'5" overall length though a little on the low side from a CCC perspective at just under ~1000lbs. It's an interesting layout with 3 bunks, 2 of them flip-up including one above the dinette. Convert the dinette to make 4 bunks in the rear and a short queen Murphy bed with sofa up front.

Looks like 2019 was the last year for this model but there could still be some dealer stock. Here is the link to the 2019 floor plan --> Venture Sonic 234VBH

EDIT: I see I essentially duplicated jrollf's post.... That's what I get for being distracted....
Old 07-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #10

Ha! This is great guys. Funny enough I did find the Venture Sonic on my own after trying multiple search combinations I thought would work right after posting this. Seems like a reasonable option. Will also check out the Jayfeather as it sounds great too.
Macdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Not sure if you're wanting only full hard sided trailers or if you would consider "expandables". The Rockwood Roo 183 is 21'2", 4179 GVWR, and 480 lbs tongue weight.

The expandable is a hard side core with fold out bunks on each end and in this case on one side. The 183 has 3 60x80 beds plus the dinette for sleeping. Not perfect, but possibly workable.

The 233S has 3 60x80 flip out beds, a dinette, and a sofa that folds out.

Probably going to be tough to find one without a dinette and/or sofa.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:57 AM   #12

Sounds familiar...you could take a page out of our book, stretch it a bit...basic utilitarian setup, but it really works for us.

Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View topic - 4 kids+ 6 bikes+ 4 kayaks+ 1 canoe+ camp stuff=7x16 CTC
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #13

I was just going to suggest this... my boss bought a carmate for his kayaks and added ac and 5 bunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Sounds familiar...you could take a page out of our book, stretch it a bit...basic utilitarian setup, but it really works for us.

Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View topic - 4 kids+ 6 bikes+ 4 kayaks+ 1 canoe+ camp stuff=7x16 CTC
TroutBum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:37 PM   #14

Look into a toyhauler. 23 to 25 footers will have a front queen bed, 3 couch conversion beds and a drop down queen in the rear
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer