Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #1

AC question

I have a new 31 ft pull behind trailer with a 13500 BTU AC in it.
I am not satisfied with the AC at this point. It doesn't cool as well as I expect it to, but it is within the MFG specs as far as temp change from intake to discharge side.
I am suspecting that the unit is a little undersized for the size of trailer.
My question is " will an upgrade to a 15,000 BTU unit make a noticable difference"?

Tom
Toms57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
KIX

Consider adding a 2nd roof unit where there is currently a standard 14" vent. You'll need 50 amp to run it but IMHO that would be a better option
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
............Tom, I have to agree with KIX, a second unit would cool much better than increasing the sixe of your current unit. BTW, I was in Home Depot just yesterday and noticed a free standing AC like a fan (110v) and it was really blowing cold, just a thought. I believe it was just a shade over $200.00. Good luck and travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:41 AM   #4
GPW

Question : Why do RV ACs run at such high currents (amp draw) ???
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #5

It's typically not the running that is such a draw but the startup. All motors draw more to get them going then they use to operate. There are some kits or ac models that reduce this startup issue and allow two units to run on 30 amps. Not much else will run but you pick what you need.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #6
GPW

OK, I get it ... Thanks Tom !!!

Any idea of what factor you have to allow for start up .. ??
Old 06-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
In the south and in full sun, one 15kbtuh A/C is not going to be enough. I would look at adding a second A/C unit and some wiring mods to get the second unit to run. 30 amp service is marginal to run two 13.5Kbtuh high efficiency units.

I pulled the 30 amp panel out of mine and replaced it with a 50 amp panel with a ned power converter from progressive dynamics. Total cost of materials (I did all of the work), including 30' of new 50 amp cord with Marinco plug was about $600.00.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #8

The real issue here is that I was told by several in the dealership that this AC in my trailer was 15,000 BTU.
I checked with the manufacturer yesterday and found that it is a 13,500 unit.
I am questioning if it is really enough issue to argue with them about. They already know that I am not happy with the performance that the cooling is an issue.
To be fair, I haven't talked to them since I have found this out.
I am not really interested in a second unit or a 50 amp service because most of our camping will be with a generator running.

Tom
Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A 15k unit will help, but it is only an 11% increase in capacity. One unit in a 31' Rv is not really enough in hot weather. I like it cool.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 06-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #10

I have to whole heartedly agree with Kix and Ken about getting a second A/C. We just got back from Florida and the one A/C in our 5er was no where near adequate so I am installing a second unit. Granted I don't think this will help you much since you said you will be running off of a generator, but one just wasn't enough. If your only choice is to run off a generator then I would look at getting the 15k btu and/or get a household fan to use to help circulate the air. We did that in our old travel trailer and our 5er for awhile. Depending on the size of your ginny you may not have enough power to run your A/C and a portable A/C unit inside your trailer. Just a thought.

Dave
Old 06-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #11

I will wait to hear from the dealer.
I agree that a second AC would be the best answer, but I don't want to go there just yet because of the already stated reasons.
I think that getting the 15K unit should be the logical next step. After all it is already paid for.
Then I will see where it goes from there.

Tom
Old 06-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #12
GPW

We have noticed a tendency for RV dealers to "exaggerate" (lie) ... You may have some trouble getting them to make it right !!
Old 06-25-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The one A/C will work if you keep it in the shade all day and put up insulation in all of the windows. The manufactures are all up north and do not understand sun and heat. shoot they don't even understand cold.

Ken
Old 06-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #14

The dealer (Route 66 RV's) called on Saturday and said that the manufacturer (Open Range) is going to replace the unit with a 15 K. No problem!
I will post results after the installation and I get a chance to go out and use it.
Our 100 degree days and our humidity will test it for sure, in the shade or not.
Hope to have results within a couple of weeks.

Tom