Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #1

AC unit replaced and generator will not start unit (AC)

Keystone Bullet 272BHS after a year, AC unit was replaced (low freon). The same 15,000 unit now will not start with a Yahama EF3000iseb inverter(generator) which ran previous AC unit. Pluged 30 amp in house receptacle - no problems - runs great. Generator started and ran fine on neighbors camper AC. What's causing generator overload ligh come on and will not run replaced AC unit. Generator will run, camper lights, microwave, Tv, coffee pot . When all are off- still overload ligh comes on when I attempt to start AC? Comments appreciated. Thanks
BobBamaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #2

Old AC was low on freon, meaning low pressure, meaning easier for electric motor to turn.
totaldla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #3

Sounds like even though its the same AC the old one may of had a optional EZ Start or Hot Start Capacitor in it. This would make the difference between starting and overloading the generator.

Do you still have the old AC?
Old 08-25-2017, 07:06 AM   #4

AC unit replaced and generator will not start AC

Thanks for reply 1320Fastback. Talked to Camping World (Asheville) service manager and you both are on the same track. Believe it has to be something related to the AC's capacitor. Will be taking camper there for further evualation.
Thanks
Bob
Old 08-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #5

LRA

different ACs have different Locked Rotor Amperage requirements......basically the amps required to START compressor with a head pressure[ meaning has been running and has cycled off and now tries to start again.]

the newer ACs usually have a lower LRA than the old ones so your problem is alittle perplexing.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #6

You can install a hard start capacitor in 5 minutes, it costs less than $20.

There are usually several models that produce 15000btu, most will draw about 15 amps while running, more when starting. Are you certain you didn't have a 13 500 BTU unit before?

Your generator is rated for 23.3 amps continuous, / 25 amps surge. As mentioned, it may only have worked before because of low compressor load.

Get a start capacitor and see where that takes you.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #7

Neither one of my 15k ac units can be started reliably with a 3000 watt generator as they came from the factory. It varied with temperature, altitude etc. and always required my dc converter to be turned off. Hard start caps which cost less than 11 bucks each on amazon fixed the issue.
Searching_Ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #8

My old or previous AC unit was a 15,000 btu unit. The AC unit ran fine on my generator for several summer months until the freon leaked/ran low. At that time it quit cooling and was replaced under warranty with a 15,000 btu. Both units manufacturer is Dometic. Not an electrician, have scheduled a service appointment with Camping World for Sept 6th. My go to a local camper service center and discuss with them
Old 08-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBamaFan View Post
My old or previous AC unit was a 15,000 btu unit. The AC unit ran fine on my generator for several summer months until the freon leaked/ran low. At that time it quit cooling and was replaced under warranty with a 15,000 btu. Both units manufacturer is Dometic. Not an electrician, have scheduled a service appointment with Camping World for Sept 6th. My go to a local camper service center and discuss with them
Same Model? Maybe loose electrical connections after it was replaced.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #10

Carolina Campers
How did you plug your TT into a 30 amp in your house? Drier plug?

I was a NATE certified HVAC at one time. This is an interesting issue. I would have like to know what the initial draw was on the old system and what is being drawn with the new.

I also am not sure the level of expertise is at RV repair shop. Mostly they are part changers not all that experienced with diagnostics from what little I have seen. I am new to RV.

A Hard Start Capacitor may just work, but from my experience that is normally only used on HVAC when the compressor is failing. It is a dirty fix IMO. There is a reason manufactures do not design them into their units. I am also wondering about your generator. I run my AC on 20 amp circuit from my home when sitting at home, but I am sure my AC is smaller, I have a 25' TT. I have a Honda EG2800 and it runs my AC.

How much have you run the new unit? I would break it in a bit and try again and measure the AMP Draw of it. Interesting problem for sure. I will be interested to follow your case.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:37 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Try starting your fan on the unit first and let it run for a bit and the lower your thermostat to kick in the compressor and see if that works.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplecamper View Post
How did you plug your TT into a 30 amp in your house? Drier plug?

I was a NATE certified HVAC at one time. This is an interesting issue. I would have like to know what the initial draw was on the old system and what is being drawn with the new.

I also am not sure the level of expertise is at RV repair shop. Mostly they are part changers not all that experienced with diagnostics from what little I have seen. I am new to RV.

A Hard Start Capacitor may just work, but from my experience that is normally only used on HVAC when the compressor is failing. It is a dirty fix IMO. There is a reason manufactures do not design them into their units. I am also wondering about your generator. I run my AC on 20 amp circuit from my home when sitting at home, but I am sure my AC is smaller, I have a 25' TT. I have a Honda EG2800 and it runs my AC.

How much have you run the new unit? I would break it in a bit and try again and measure the AMP Draw of it. Interesting problem for sure. I will be interested to follow your case.

You should never or even be able to plug your rv into a dryer receptacle. 30 and 50 amp rvs run on 110. 50 just splits the 110 into 2 separate legs.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:50 AM   #13

Custom wired adapter would allow it, I use one for a big air compressor in my shop. Cord plugs into a 250V standard dryer outlet on one wall and on the other ends is only 125V 30A.

Out of interest in my no start situation I had the local Yamaha dealership go thru my two generators. They load tested both of them and they are perfectly within specs. After that i called Dometic service and was told I just need their hard start kit to solve the overload problem.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #14

Your new unit may just have a little more internal friction causing the starting surge to be more than the generator can handle. A 15 amp unit may require a surge of up to 70 amps to get it started. Your little generator just can't handle it. It may also use a different refrigerant and compressor causing that little extra load on start-up.

Tags
ace, generator, replace