Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2022, 05:28 PM   #1

AC Wire

My AC wire was fried by lightning and needs replacing . The wire runs in the ceiling to the back wall then under the camper up to the panel Thier are 2 types of wire on each end my question is thier a junction box maybe on the back wall behind the refrigerator where we can't see it?
Ysrebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 05:40 PM   #2

Possibly, but are you sure you were hit by lightening?

MoHo wiring, especially for A/C units tends to burn on the ends due to loose connections. A loose connection gets hot, the heat travels up the wire and melts insulation. I found a neutral in our coach breaker panel that had melted insulation for about 4”. It was on the microwave circuit. Screw clamp wire connections such as found in MoHo’s need to be checked for tightness annually.
The was another poster on this board a day or two ago that he smelled something and saw smoke exit one of his A/C units. After I told him to access the electrical box behind the filter inside the coach, he found burned up wiring where input power connected to the unit. Loose wire clamp screws.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:26 PM   #3

Mr Mark yep pretty sure I replaced all the circuit boards ac unit main panel and frig The Ac worked for a short time the shut down the white wire is shorted somewhere .We were hoping that there might be a junction box as the panel has a yellow 14/2 wire and ends with a different wire at the Ac unit
Old 06-26-2022, 06:29 PM   #4

We found the wire next to a speaker infront of the frig that was still shorted so it looks like it may go behind the frig but not visible outside at the frig access panel
Old 06-26-2022, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysrebob View Post
We found the wire next to a speaker infront of the frig that was still shorted so it looks like it may go behind the frig but not visible outside at the frig access panel
White sheathed Romex is usually 14/2 with ground for lighting circuits.

Yellow sheathed Romex is usually 12/2 with ground and is usually for load circuits (like A/C units).

Check the writing on the sheathing to verify the gauge sizes.

The white “neutral” conductor will always act like it’s shorted because it’s connected to the neutral/ground bus bar in the breaker panel.

Do you have a coach wiring diagram for your coach?

You don’t say what manufacturer make/model/year your coach is (I didn’t check you profile either, my bad) but usually good to do that when you have questions.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:14 PM   #6

Mark its 12 2016 Heartland Mallard M302 36 ft 30amp (1 AC)
Old 06-27-2022, 07:53 AM   #7

Nowadays,
12 ga romex is yellow
14 ga romex is white
Kipkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #8

The white is the neutral going back to the panel and has a short .we've tracked it to the back wall and now at a stop.I don't know where it goes down the wall behind the refrigerator or not
Old 06-27-2022, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipkeller View Post
Nowadays,
12 ga romex is yellow
14 ga romex is white
Oops! Had my head up my (somewhere) - your right, white is 14/2, yellow is 12/2.

Thanks for the correction.

I’ve asked the moderators to correct my error.

Thanks again
Old 06-27-2022, 05:02 PM   #10

Quote:
The white is the neutral going back to the panel and has a short .we've tracked it to the back wall and now at a stop.I don't know where it goes down the wall behind the refrigerator or not
What is telling you the white has a short?

Did you read (and understand) my previous about how the white is connected in an electrical system?
Old 06-27-2022, 08:10 PM   #11

Thanks for all the advice .time to go fishing and run a new wire .Heartland said it was probably spliced at the factory and in the wall.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice .time to go fishing and run a new wire .Heartland said it was probably spliced at the factory and in the wall.
Is that allowed by code? I know the manufacturers cut corners, but I would think that would be a big no-no. Unless it’s connected to an outlet, but still shouldn’t be a change of color.
Kipkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipkeller View Post
Is that allowed by code? I know the manufacturers cut corners, but I would think that would be a big no-no. Unless it’s connected to an outlet, but still shouldn’t be a change of color.

No, that is not allowed by the NEC. All splices (other than low voltage) shall be made in an accessible approved box. Granted, the box may not have a receptacle or switch in it, it may have a blank cover.
Also, the box could be behind a TV, Fireplace, Refrigerator, or in a cabinet.

Tim