Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2022, 08:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
There is plenty of evidence to the contrary. IRS is far more stable than a live axle. Unibodies are stiffer than ladder frames.
Rather than write a novel i'll suggest you just ponder this, all HD pickups, all MDT's and all HDT's use frames and live axles...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2022, 11:18 AM   #16
Aaa

Quote:
Unibodies are stiffer than ladder frames.
Please share your sources on this, unibody vehicles are stiffer and therefor good for towing?

OP, the MDX isn't for towing a tall TT, as everyone mentioned it will be fine with a teardrop or small popup.
Aaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:24 AM   #17

Jayco Owners Club
Stiffer is not the same as stronger. For example, if a tree didn't flex in the higher winds, then it would break and fall.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:26 PM   #18

There are several reasons why both IRS and unibodies aren't ideal for towing. I like those things on my 2020 BMW Z4 and our 2021 Audi SQ8, but I'll stick with the body-on-frame and full floating Dana 80 in my diesel Ram for any real towing.

Dave
Old 03-08-2022, 06:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
There are several reasons why both IRS and unibodies aren't ideal for towing. I like those things on my 2020 BMW Z4 and our 2021 Audi SQ8, but I'll stick with the body-on-frame and full floating Dana 80 in my diesel Ram for any real towing.

Dave
Other than a slightly reduced payload, name one. Towing stability is not an issue with SUVs.

If you're towing less than 7700 lbs, your Audi is a better choice.

Body on frame is 1920's technology. It's heavy and flexes, and that flexing causes sway and instability. Add to that a live axle and a long overhang and a high center of gravity and I'll take my SUV over a half-ton any day. All numbers being equal, the SUV will be more stable and comfortable, and likely get better MPGs.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:11 AM   #20

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Other than a slightly reduced payload, name one. Towing stability is not an issue with SUVs.

Body on frame is 1920's technology. It's heavy and flexes, and that flexing causes sway and instability. Add to that a live axle and a long overhang and a high center of gravity and I'll take my SUV over a half-ton any day. All numbers being equal, the SUV will be more stable and comfortable, and likely get better MPGs.
Unibodies are also 1920's technology, so I am not sure of your point here. If you are against using 1920's technologies, then you need to give up on unibodies and body on frame vehicles which leaves you with... ?
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Unibodies are also 1920's technology, so I am not sure of your point here. If you are against using 1920's technologies, then you need to give up on unibodies and body on frame vehicles which leaves you with... ?
My point is clear. Sorry you missed it.
Old 03-09-2022, 07:44 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is not a comment about frames and such. That is simply too much trailer for the MDX. Just read and understand the tow ratings.

Either get a larger tow vehicle or look at much smaller trailers.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:31 PM   #23

MDX is going to be on the ground even with just the shipping weight never mind loaded ready for travel. Assuming you try this at highway speeds the short wheel base of that SUV will most likely have sway issue and jackknife very easy because its short , light weight with P metric soft sidewall tires.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:46 PM   #24

Quote:

There is so much wrong in your post, I don't have the energy to bother writing a rebuttal and if you really think my Audi is a better tow vehicle than my 1 ton Ram, there is no point in even trying to enlighten you.
Old 03-09-2022, 05:58 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
That sounds like its a little to much of a TT. The dry weight is most likely out of the specification on the manufacturer's web site. It not the actual dry weight. Most RV's manufactures use a dry weight without batteries, propane tanks, or any options on the trailer. The battery and propane tanks are most likely added by the dealers. Options of most of the time includes: AC units, awnings, spare tires, etc...

So add these options and battery propane tanks, then add another 1 to 1.5K lbs for the stuff you will load into the TT. Come up with the total and take 12 to 13% of the total as you tongue weight. Most likely the MDX max tongue weight is 500 lbs. Also there is a max load on the MDX (the weight on the MDX axles. The 13% tongue will add to the MDX weight, which by the time you fule it up bring the family and fill the back up with your stuff and add the tongue weight there a good chance the MDX is overweight on the rear axle.

I would look for a light TT. Another option might be a Trailmanor. There are light TT out there.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:10 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
There is plenty of evidence to the contrary. IRS is far more stable than a live axle. Unibodies are stiffer than ladder frames.
This has been a debate for a few hundred years engineers and the lay. Not to mention most of the 60 - 70's muscle cars.

But look at railroad bridges. You can have thick I beams 3-4 feet by 12-16 inches almost side by side or build a truss with a lot of thinner beams that give you more strength.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
There is so much wrong in your post, I don't have the energy to bother writing a rebuttal and if you really think my Audi is a better tow vehicle than my 1 ton Ram, there is no point in even trying to enlighten you.
So...no response.

Got it.

I'll repeat it. For a trailer under 7700 lbs, your Audi is more stable and more comfortable. And likely has bigger brakes.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:20 PM   #28

We have an SUV as well. We went with a T@B400. 2900 Lbs dry. Fully loaded for us around 3470 pounds...ish. (Just not that much room for stuff). Our hitch weight is typically 325 to 345 pounds. The water tank, fridge and some of the storage are behind the axle so the hitch gets lighter when loaded. Separate sleeping and dining area. Worth looking at. Might work for you. Low profile as well. Basement air so no AC on the roof killing aerodynamics.

Good luck in your search.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote