Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2019, 04:39 AM   #1

Add a window

hey guys I'm wondering what window you guys would recommend or if you would have any reason not to ad a window to an rv door. I see many on amazon ranging from 50-200$. they are just simple fixed viewing windows for the door most listed as replacement. I'm a carpenter so I really dont have an issue cutting it out nice and neat and sealing it up but is there any reason I should not do this?
bst24351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 04:57 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I can't think of any reason not to do it. I'd expect that to be a hollow core door, at least no real 'structure' inside - I'd be really surprised if it's not filled with styrofoam or something similar.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:18 AM   #3

thanks, I was thinking about using a jigsaw with a very fine tooth blade but if its hollow core with styrofoam that may tear the layers apart
Old 03-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
If you are a carpenter, then I would get the window purchased and in hand.

Template out where it is going before doing anything. If you have an oscillating cutter, that would probably work a ton better than a jig saw.
A ton of the RV doors are just filled with foam as stated. Some have "studs" but not many of the newer ones do.
One of the oscillating cutters would work great.

If you don't have one, Menards has their brand name for around $50 and it includes several bits. They work awesome for doing projects like that man.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:34 AM   #5

I'd definitely want a window in the door. You may want to contact the RV manufacturer's service department to see if they have any advice on what to use to cut out the opening and if they see any problem with the modification.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:04 PM   #6

I would use a roto-zip type of cutter.
Wcordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:29 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcordes View Post
I would use a roto-zip type of cutter.
Problem with that type of cutter is keeping a good straight line without making mistakes.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #8

I second using what my brothers call a 'multi-tool' cutter. Try it 1st to see if it works. I think it will. Between a zig-saw and the multi-tool and maybe a fine file to smooth out what needs smoothed out I see this task as very doable.

As mentioned before - I too expect the door to be styrofoam with a sheet or two of luan. I expect any luan to splinter with rough edges left.

You will be able to take your time and do better than the factory or dealership sealing anyplace water could get into.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:45 AM   #9

thanks I sent a email to forest river to see if they have and input but I doubt they will be any help. they will most likely tell me to take it to the dealer (not happening). I could use a router with a guide clamped on the door I'll most likely get the window laid out on both sides of the door and use a hole saw to core a whole out (I'll need a whole to get blade/router started anyway) and once I see what the core looks like I'll make a decision on what to try first
Old 03-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #10

I recently put a window in my utility trailer which has an RV style door. No issues. Taped off around the area to be cut out. Used a jig saw with a new blade. You will need to know the thickness of your door to buy the correct window. Lots of windows for sale on eBay but not all include the interior trim ring so watch out for that.
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Hey Bst, any update on your project?

Did you get a window installed in the door?
Old 03-31-2019, 08:19 AM   #12

No update yet sorry. I am going to do it but since it's a new camper and we didn't have before it were still buying everything and getting it all together. Lots of $$$$ being spent rite now lol. It's almost go time first trip is next weekend
Old 03-31-2019, 08:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger608 View Post
Problem with that type of cutter is keeping a good straight line without making mistakes.
Clamp a board to the area to use like a fence....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:05 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Clamp a board to the area to use like a fence....
I thought of that as well, but making the corners can be challenging as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bst24351 View Post
No update yet sorry. I am going to do it but since it's a new camper and we didn't have before it were still buying everything and getting it all together. Lots of $$$$ being spent rite now lol. It's almost go time first trip is next weekend
I can sure relate to the Bucks being spent.
It can certainly get spendy getting everything ready and set up.

That's awesome man!!! Have a great time next weekend on the first trip.

Tags
window