Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2021, 07:25 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Add Propane Sensor to your set of tools

Every rig should have one of these in its tool kit. Ddoesn't have to be this specific model, but it's the one I'm using.

Gas Detector Portable Natural Gas Tester Detector | Combustible Propane Methane Gas Sensor Sniffer with Sound Light Warning, Adjustable | CE Certified (P-AS8800L (Sound&Light Model))

I "thought" I had used up my propane a little quickly, but couldn't find a leak with the old fashion soapy water method in the tank area. Lisa mentioned occasionally smelling gas around the oven, but not consistent.

Well, I picked up this little device.. turned it on, and adjusted it while I was walking to the rig (you turn it on in clean air and let it initialize) opened the door of the rig... and BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scared the bahoozes out of me. Mind you I couldn't SMELL any propane at this point. I let the probe guide me through the rig, to the oven.. but sticking it IN the oven it read lower.. so I opened up the drawer underneath...

Sure enough, the hose that feeds the oven/stove had a VERY faint leak. I still couldn't "smell" propane, but this little meter was NOT happy at all.

I pulled the stovetop, and I even used soapy water on the inlet and no bubbles, but the detector revealed there was a leak. It was a very slight leak, not on the brass bits but where the crimp touches the hose. The fix (at the propane store suggestion) was just going around the fitting with pliers/vise grips to ensure the flange was seated/crimped into the rubber hose a little more as he explained the brass barb inside the hose is the main seal point. Sure enough, that worked. Left it a couple of days, came back tonight and checked, no leak indication at all.

For $30 my hopes were not very high, but this thing paid for itself within 30 minutes of the package arriving. I'm guessing the reason it went off when I opened the door was because at that point I was holding it level with the floor, so the propane was collecting at floor level.

I'm am truly impressed. I held it in front of the heat vent as the heat came on, and it detected that immediately and then reduced within a couple of moments as the fan dissipated it. I'm not sure I would have ever found the leak in the line with this.

Just throught I would share.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2021, 03:52 PM   #2

Great tip!
Jordan P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:25 PM   #3

Thanks just ordered one.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:00 PM   #4

Me too! DW smelled gas, once in a while, somewhere near the right tire of the trailer. I did not smell it. We were using propane a little faster than usual -- not much.

I bought some special bubble mix and smeared it all over our gas lines -- no bubbles.

I got a cheap propane detector, waited for a windless day, and slowly traced all of our propane lines.

The culprit was our outdoor BBQ valve -- which is right near the right wheel well. I re-applied the bubble mix -- a bubble slowly emerged.

These detectors really work, if you give them a chance. Be methodical, be patient, wait for a windless day.

And listen to your wife when she says she smells something weird.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:43 PM   #5

Here is one you could install permanently. It requires 120v. I am sure that are some that use 12volts. They could identify gas when you are sleeping. The hand held detector could then be used to find the leak. Not sure if travel trailers have them already.

Motorhomes have CO/Propane detector installed and tied to battery due to generator exhaust and propane furnace.

https://www.zoro.com/safe-t-alert-fi...iABEgJmKPD_BwE

ROn
Sarz272000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:46 PM   #6

Sarz, the leak in my bbq connector was so small and so far from the propane monitor that it never beeped. DW's sense of smell detected that there was a leak somewhere, and the handheld propane sniffer told me exactly where it was.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:08 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarz272000 View Post
Here is one you could install permanently. It requires 120v. I am sure that are some that use 12volts. They could identify gas when you are sleeping. The hand held detector could then be used to find the leak. Not sure if travel trailers have them already.

Motorhomes have CO/Propane detector installed and tied to battery due to generator exhaust and propane furnace.

https://www.zoro.com/safe-t-alert-fi...iABEgJmKPD_BwE

ROn
This post reminded me that while doing some other work I happen to be laying on the floor near the CO detector.... WHICH HAS A BUILT IN PROPANE DETECTOR !!!! I have to test it, but it NEVER alarmed!!! I didn't even realize I had a built-in propane detector!!! I just happened to notice the indicator light and label.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
This post reminded me that while doing some other work I happen to be laying on the floor near the CO detector.... WHICH HAS A BUILT IN PROPANE DETECTOR !!!! I have to test it, but it NEVER alarmed!!! I didn't even realize I had a built-in propane detector!!! I just happened to notice the indicator light and label.
The permanent propane detectors have a finite install life. Once it is energized it should be replaced every 6-7 years. It will beep to remind you. There should be an install date on the detector.

Probably a good idea to have a propane detector in a travel trailer so one doesn’t rely on smell only. At least get a plug in detector for a travel trailer to use if you have an electrical outlet near the floor.

Cheap insurance for the ones you love.

Ron
Sarz272000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:48 AM   #9
IC2

If your RV was built in the last 10 years or thereabouts old, it should already have a propane detector installed as mandatory equipment. They do have a recommended life as shown in the instructions that come with it of 5 years. Our 5er didn't come with that IB so I just plain forgot about replacement. The RV, now sitting on its driveway pad is chirping that it's dead. My new one is waiting for a warm enough day that I can open the slide and install it:MTI Industries 20-441-P-WT Safe T Alert 20 Series Propane/LP Gas Alarm also in black and is 45-50 bucks on Amazon (price depends on the day, I paid $43)

This is what ours came with and what will be going back in
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarz272000 View Post
The permanent propane detectors have a finite install life. Once it is energized it should be replaced every 6-7 years. It will beep to remind you. There should be an install date on the detector.

Probably a good idea to have a propane detector in a travel trailer so one doesn’t rely on smell only. At least get a plug in detector for a travel trailer to use if you have an electrical outlet near the floor.

Cheap insurance for the ones you love.

Ron
While the built in units are good insurance, I'm gonna re-iterate, even if they go off, they only warn you of a major issue, they can't provide assistance in FINDING the leak.

Tags
propane, tools