Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #1

Add seperate power source for air conditioner

Recently down sized from larger 5th wheel with 50 amp panel to TT with 30 amp panel. To help to prevent over loads on breakers at times I am thinking of a seperate power entrance source to the trailer at a small breaker box near present panel; then feeding the lines to the air conditioner from this breaker. I thought that would relieve some of the load on present panel and save the present breaker for the air conditioner to be used to seperate a couple of outlets in the kitchen so when mama is using electric skillet and toaster at same time it may not overload outlet. ANYONE EVER TRIED THIS APPROACH ORDOES IT SOUND FEASIABLE IN A TT. I have experience in normal house wiring thus this sounds doable but never in tt panel. I know you would have to have seperate outside power but most C G we go to have seperate 20 amp plug in same post as 30 or 50 amp trailer plug. Any thoughts on this?
yohop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #2

I'm thinking how you would do this. I'm thinking you would have to take the A/C load completely out of the box and put it in your mini box. Now put a 20 amp breaker in the mini box and run #12 into the breaker that was used by the A/C originally. now put in another breaker and run the wire to your "other" 20 source. I'm thinking you would want to bring that in to a breaker NOT to the bus. Then put in a 3rd breaker and hook up the A/C load.

When you want to use the A/C off the "normal" 30 amp feed, the breaker to "other" 20am source would be open while the other two would be closed. When using the A/C on the "other" 20a source, you would open the first breaker to the original box, and close the other 2. Personally, I think I would "open" the breaker in the original box just before I did anything with the other source, just so you don't forget which breaker is which.

If you have a dedicated breaker for the Mic, I might also put that with the A/C so you can use all you counter stuff and the mic too.

Am I confused yet???
cgswss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #3

We were camping in single digits back in January and ran a 20amp cord from the mh to the cg power post to run another heater without going through the coach wiring. The coach is a 50amp but we needed more power, we had no probs.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #4

I would just upgrade to a 50A panel and be done with it. Done it a few times, not terribly hard.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #5

air conditioner power

Thanks for your input on this. I like the idea of the other breakers so it could be switched from TT panel or used on the mini box as seperate line.. Havent checked yet on cost of 50 amp panel but that is definitely an option also. Would have to change the entrance cable to larger size i guess too. Thanks again.Will do some further checking.
yohop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #6

Simple answer is yes you can do it. I'm having a coach built with 3 power inputs. One 50 amp with everything on it and one ac. The other 2 ac units will be on a switches and be able to be independently powered from a 30 amp cord to either the 30 amp or the 20 amp power source or I can leave it connected to the main 50 amp input and run as normal.
JC and Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #7

You could just put another breaker in the panel(if there is room) and wire in an extra plug. If you are worried about overloading the incoming service, switch the AC to fan while you are using the toaster, then flip it back to AC when you are done.
stwilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, power