Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #1

Additional AC

Considering adding an additional AC unit in front bedroom. TT is 50 amp, going to remove a MaxxFan I installed last year. We do have 110 at the site. Any issues other than a normal install? I've installed two a few years ago so all good with that just primarily seeking any experience with adding a unit that anyone would be willing to share. Too noisy in BR? Assume 13500 is sufficient. Issue is that the 15000 unit in the living room area can't keep up on days into the mid-90's and we hear it's gonna be a long hot summer. Thanks in advance!
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #2

Have you tried adjusting your units thermostat? They can be adjusted so the compressor runs longer.
Cgaengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #3

KZ RV Club
If it's 50amp it was likely factory prepped for a second A/C. Contact them it maybe almost as simple as setting it. Probably need the Vin when you call.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Hardest thing is getting the unit on the roof. Amazon has "second" AC units a little less than dealer, same unit!
Your 50A wiring is prepped for the second unit...not too loud, it sounds better than a slow sweat!
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #5

I added a second AC in my bedroom. Yes, it makes noise, but it also fades into the background very easily. I kinda like having the white noise to be honest. Mine wasn't set up for an AC there, so I had to run the electrical and cut a hole in the roof. Fortunately, all of that work is done for you so just ask a buddy to help get it on the roof and you'll be set. Then it should be just making the final electrical connection and bolting everything down. Easy peasy.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #6

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by free-to-roam View Post
Hardest thing is getting the unit on the roof. Amazon has "second" AC units a little less than dealer, same unit!
Your 50A wiring is prepped for the second unit...not too loud, it sounds better than a slow sweat!

Two guys, a rope, & a latter, just did a large roof A/C on a rental. Tie it to the rope, one on the roof, A/C on the ladder to slide up, one pulls and the other pushes. easy
Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 AM   #7

So i have a 30 amp trailer. I would like to add a 2nd ac. How do you know if it is wired up front for the 2nd ac?
Old 05-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #8

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdiokc View Post
So i have a 30 amp trailer. I would like to add a 2nd ac. How do you know if it is wired up front for the 2nd ac?

30 amp will only carry one A/C, to add a second would require wiring upgrade to 50amp service. Likely cheaper to find a different that is 50amp than to upgrade unless your able to do the work your self.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdiokc View Post

I added a second bedroom AC to my 30 amp travel trailer. It was a lot of work and I run it from the 20 amp circuit that practically all campgrounds and rv parks provide. I can assure you, your 30 amp trailer is not wired for a second AC, but where there is a will, there is a way.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:55 AM   #10

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
I added a second bedroom AC to my 30 amp travel trailer. It was a lot of work and I run it from the 20 amp circuit that practically all campgrounds and rv parks provide. I can assure you, your 30 amp trailer is not wired for a second AC, but where there is a will, there is a way.

So you have a 20amp cord + the regular RV wiring, and how hot does that 20amp get? That A/C will draw 15amps + starting and the longer the run the more it will draw..
Old 05-31-2019, 06:51 PM   #11

If you have ducted AC there's a possibility that the bedroom was prepped for the second AC. I just added an additional unit to our bedroom and the ductwork was there but closed off at the end of the run. It's more work to do but it is much quieter than the unit that just blows in the bedroom.
37driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:43 PM   #12

My TT has a sticker in our bedroom by the sky light noting that there is electrical ran there for 2nd A/C. Not sure how far back they started putting the sticker on the ceiling
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 05:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
So you have a 20amp cord + the regular RV wiring, and how hot does that 20amp get? That A/C will draw 15amps + starting and the longer the run the more it will draw..

The 20 amp doesn't get hot at all. It's set up as a 20 amp circuit, not a little 15 amp circuit run on a 20 amp breaker. As long as you do it properly, it won't get hot at all. The main AC that came with the trailer is on a 20 amp circuit.