Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
What’s the payload of your truck? Yellow sticker inside the door jamb, says “cargo and passengers should ever exceed ####lbs “

Then take that number and subtract your weight, your wife’s weight, your kids weight and anything else you might put in the truck, call it 100-200 lbs.

Then subtract 100 lbs for a hitch.

Then take the 7450 lbs of trailer and add 500 lbs to it. Nope, scratch that...take the unloaded weight of 5765 and add 500lbs then next step

Then multiply 6265 x 15%

If your final remaining payload number is lower than the 15% of the trailer weight, you’re in for an interesting ride.
The payload on the door sticker is 1929 lbs. After subtracting everything you mentioned, we’re around 1100 lbs remaining.

6265 x 15% = 940 lbs

Since my payload number is higher than the 15%, is that good? Lol sorry just trying to understand
rdf1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf1982 View Post
The payload on the door sticker is 1929 lbs. After subtracting everything you mentioned, we’re around 1100 lbs remaining.

6265 x 15% = 940 lbs

Since my payload number is higher than the 15%, is that good? Lol sorry just trying to understand
This is good. As long as you travel light.

1100 - 940 leaves 160 lbs of payload remaining on your truck.

Now it might be that the tongue weight of the trailer is less than 15%, it might 12% or 11%.. and of course you might load more than 500 lbs worth of gear in the trailer.. These numbers are somewhat dynamic..

If you load 1000 lbs of stuff in your trailer, then your overall trailer weight goes up, and so does your tongue weight.

And truthfully, the numbers published on the manufacturers website are estimates. The actual trailer you buy might be lighter or heavier by a little. Without weighing the trailer on a scale, and also weighing the tongue weight on a scale, you won't know for sure the actual weights.

BUT, it sounds like you are in on this one! Just remember, speed amplifies problems, so keep the rig to 65.

Did you read the post I linked?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
BUT, it sounds like you are in on this one! Just remember, speed amplifies problems, so keep the rig to 65.
Also be aware when it comes to speed, many of the factory tires installed on RVs have max speed ratings of only 65mph. Some are higher (new Goodyear Endurance and a couple others). I would recommend when you buy looking at upgrading the factory tires if they are some of the China-poppers and installing a quality tire. Just another tip to keep in the back of your mind.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:03 PM   #18

Agree with tcg. Go to a local campground and spend a night or two first. Also get used to towing it out on the highway. That's a long trip and longer if something doesn't work right. 400 miles a day pulling a large TT is a good day. More miles and mistakes set in.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
Also be aware when it comes to speed, many of the factory tires installed on RVs have max speed ratings of only 65mph. Some are higher (new Goodyear Endurance and a couple others). I would recommend when you buy looking at upgrading the factory tires if they are some of the China-poppers and installing a quality tire. Just another tip to keep in the back of your mind.
I would echo this sentiment. I might even consider upgrading tire size if it will fit without rubbing.

When an rv tire blows, it has a tendency to take out the stuff around and can cause a lot of trip wrecking damage.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #20

Thank you for the tire tips. Has anyone had any luck negotiating better tires into the purchase with the dealer?

Also, having no experience with TT air conditioners, is Florida in the summer going to be bearable? If we leave the AC off during the day while we’re at the park, will it cool down once we get back?
rdf1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #21

I live in Florida and then in the middle of the summer you definitely want those AC is running during the day. It's not your electric bill. I bought a 50 amp unit with delacey's because I live in Florida and I know it's hot.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #22

Sorry that was supposed to say dual AC
Old 01-16-2018, 08:07 AM   #23
YC1

You have come to a great forum.

There are forums dedicated to the fort. Fortfiends comes to mind.

Forums - Fort Fiends

There is a learning curve on any Rv. Be sure to read all manuals as if you are studying for a test because you will be tested. Take notes and use a highlighter.

Keep a notepad handy at all times. You will think of things needed and then forget them. I keep one in my pocket.

As suggested be sure to do some driveway camping.

One of the first things you will need to learn is winterizing. So many folks don't turn valves back on correctly and we see it all the time.
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Here are a couple of great links.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:13 AM   #24
YC1

I'm not trying to shoo you away but many of your questions will have been answered hundreds of times before. The search feature in the box is excellent. It will take you to another page that will have things associated with this forum..

We live 30 miles from the Fort and love it. Halloween was amazing.

Budget for a golf car for a few days so you can tour the campground loops. It is great for taking the kids to one of the pools to. The cost is about $60 a day. Not cheap and do make reservations as far in advance as possible.

Always be prepared for rain in the Summer. Rain every afternoon is not unusual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Search box.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	188958  

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #25

Yc1 is correct. The golf cart is indispensable. All holidays seem to be a blast at the fort! Cheap it is not but worth every penny.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdf1982 View Post
Thank you for the tire tips. Has anyone had any luck negotiating better tires into the purchase with the dealer?

Also, having no experience with TT air conditioners, is Florida in the summer going to be bearable? If we leave the AC off during the day while we’re at the park, will it cool down once we get back?
If it's in the summer, count on the inside of your rv being in the 80's during the day with the a/c on full blast 24/7. The trailer you linked above has a single A/C unit and really thin walls. It will be a miserable sweat box in the in the southern summer. Shade helps A LOT. And hopefully the guy who built your rv that day actually connected the duct work from the A/C to the vents. They have tendency to either do a sloppy job or forget all together or for the duct to slip out of the a/c side and blast your cold air into the open ceiling. I've even seen stories where the return was allowed access to the outgoing air...

Whatever you do, don't leave pets in the RV during the day in a southern summer. It's not uncommon for the heat to cause too much electricity draw at campgrounds, and the power grid shut down. Many a family pet has died this way while their owners were away.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:18 PM   #27

Let the A/C run 24/7 I the south in the summer. Keeping your blinds closed durnig the day will also help. The Fort has lots of sites with shade. We previously had a Jayco 29 foot travel trailer with a full slide and one 15K A/C unit and it did fine in July at Fort Wilderness. I believe the key is to let the A/C run even when you wake up and it's a little chilly inside.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #28

For your first trip I would recommend finding a campground with a Walmart nearby.
Fort Wilderness is great. I wouldn’t make it your first trip, but it would be a great second trip. It does take longer to get to the various parks, but it’s also a lot cheaper in comparison to the hotels. In the summer you have to psych yourself up to wait in line in high heat and humidity. Expect that it will rain every day after 3:00 pm. We would leave our a/c on, but bump up the thermostat a bit.
The best advice I can give you is to read, read, read. You’ll want to study up on the various systems of the RV. Watch YouTube videos as well. For example, changing a trailer tire can be more complicated than a car tire. Also before you connect water to your trailer be sure to go around and check that every water connection is tight. Once the water is connected, go around and check for leaks. Bouncing down the road tends to loosen things up.
Good luck!
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, cat