Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Advice/ Help Winterizing Salem T25FBLE

Hi

Need some advice Winterizing lines on the above TT. First time trying to winterize...Have read quite quite a bit with Google searches and tried to search here using terms Winterizing Salem etc. The hot water heater is a Suburban.

So far I have drained the water tank and opened all of the taps. Then I hooked up my compressor hose to the fresh water inlet via a brass piece that threads into the fresh water inlet and that has a compressor fitting on the other end.

I believe that I have a hot water tank/heater bypass kit (see picture). I need some advice as to how to pull RV antifreeze into the lines. Do I do this via the lines located near the heater and bypass kit? Tried taking off the top line and activating the water pump - but no suction. Same thing with the bottom one. Which position should the valve shown in picture be in?

One suggestion offered up via Google search was to pour the antifreeze into the fresh water tank and then use the water pump to move to the various taps when turning them on. I am really not sure I want to contaminate the fresh water tank with plumbing antifreeze.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

DJ

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1648.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	182108
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Do you have to install the bypass kit or do you just have to turn a valve?
Is that a valve at the bottom of that picture? It looks like your back flow fitting coming out the top if I'm seeing it correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Me.. dummy.. Will look for water pump and go to the inlet side. Yes?
Old 11-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Yes, that is a valve at the bottom. I'm not sure if that is a bypass kit already installed or not. Newbie here lol!
Old 11-05-2017, 06:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Advice/ Help Winterizing Salem T25FBLE

If that's a valve which it appears to be go ahead and close it (looks closed already)before drawing in antifreeze that will keep it from entering the tank. The check valve at the top should keep it from entering the tank at the top. Drain the water heater tank crack open the pop off valve at the top of your wtr htr and it will flow out quickly.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:21 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, that valve is the bypass. Turn it 90 degrees so it is inline with that vertical tube. Your water heater has one a way valve at the top to keep water from filling from the top.

Now you need to find your pump. Usually there is a panel near the bottom of your kitchen cabinets or under a closet. Many newer trailers have a winterizing kit already installed. If yours does then you will find another valve just like the one on your water heater bypass that switches to the winterizing tube on the suction side of the pump. Close all the faucets, put the tube in a jug of antifreeze and turn the pump on. Be sure your low point drains are emptied and capped before doing that. Then just open each faucet until pink runs from them, pour a little down each drain and leave a little in the toilet bowl so the gaskets don't dry out.

Hopefully you bought the more expensive Propylene Glycol antifreeze rather than the stuff with methanol and water. The alcohol in that stuff can dry out gaskets and makes your plumbing taste terrible for quite awhile in the spring.Only about a dollar a gallon cheaper. Read the ingredients to be sure. The good stuff says it is good to -75 and the alcohol crap says -50. Good luck, pretty easy once you have done it.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Many thanks keymastr and tmw188. Will post later to let you know how it works out.. Great form and membership.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Forum. Darn auto spell

Tags
advice, sale, winter