Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #1

Advice On Buying Used TT

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are going to look at a 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 246rks. My grandfather bought this new or fairly new. It is my understanding he used it a couple of times and then it went into storage due to him being unable to use it. Unsure if it was ever winterized or if any maintenance has been done to it.

My grandfather is currently in assisted living and has no idea he still has a trailer due to his state of mind, so he won't be much help.

What concerns should I have with a trailer that has sat for 3-4 years? I'll be checking the obvious stuff, but this would be our first TT so it's a little overwhelming. Any tips/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shawn
Shyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #2

The most important thing is to check for water intrusion from the roof, sides, windows and doors.
Look at the roof edges and everywhere for sealant cracks.
Look at the interior for water stains.
Look in the storage areas for water stains and soft wood.

Next would be to check the plumbing by connecting to city water.run all the faucets and check for leaks inside and out.
There are so many things to check also the electrical and appliances.

Then maintenance should be done on the wheel bearings and check brakes for wear and operation.

You will have to learn how the plumbing valves work and test the propane system.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #3
zul

Some good suggestions already. Additional tips:

To test for propane leaks, use 3 oz of dish soap and water into a spray bottle. The LP gas hoses nearest the propane tanks will often get cracks and leak gas. Turn on the tank, spray the soapy water and look for bubbles.

Check tires for even ware. Uneven tire ware can turn into a can of worms. Check air pressure on each tire frequently.

Being new to trailers can be overwhelming. I am doing my own brake job and I am no pro. Might be worth having a break inspection done by an RV shop? If your grandfather went cross country 2-3 times, brakes could be ready for new shoes. If not, most people just skip the break check as it's a hassle (hard work). Tough call but you don't want to skimp on safety.

Make sure you have a good Weight Distribution Hitch WITH a sway bar:

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-17062-Di...s%2C222&sr=8-5

And make sure that your tow vehicle can handle the dry weight PLUS 2-3,000 lbs.
zul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyde View Post
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are going to look at a 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 246rks. My grandfather bought this new or fairly new. It is my understanding he used it a couple of times and then it went into storage due to him being unable to use it. Unsure if it was ever winterized or if any maintenance has been done to it.

My grandfather is currently in assisted living and has no idea he still has a trailer due to his state of mind, so he won't be much help.

What concerns should I have with a trailer that has sat for 3-4 years? I'll be checking the obvious stuff, but this would be our first TT so it's a little overwhelming. Any tips/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shawn

Plan on new tires right away. If they have been sitting 3-4 years, I wouldn't drive them at all.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #5

I second the idea or new tires, regardless how they look, RV tires should be replaced about every 7 years regardless of tread as they tend to rot from the inside, and sitting makes it worse. Also if you see any sign of water penetration or wood rot, run away. Hopefully it has been kept under a shed of some type, even if so plan on getting the trailer roof penetrations resealed soon, Spend time inspecting things at roof level, this means 30-40 minutes at roof level checking the seams, vent covers, end caps, window and slide top seals, etc. not a 1 minute glance, but up close inspection for any signs of cracks or leaks. If anything thing is questionable, closely look inside below that point.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:00 AM   #6

I would agree about replacing tires and having brakes checked. Then, check all the seams and lap sealant and add sealant as needed.

Flush out water heater tank and test operation with gas and electric.
Flush and sanitize fresh water tank.
Fill black and gray tanks and make sure they will empty without a problem.
Battery will probably need to be replaced...but you could do a load test and check if the old one will recharge.
It wouldn't hurt to open up the propane tank valve, check for any leaks in the gas fittings/regulator and check stove for proper operation (blue flames on burners).
Visually inspect every inch you can i.e. interior cabinets, underneath, mattresses, etc. for any signs of damage or evidence or mice having made the trailer their winter residence.
Open awnings and clean as necessary.
Lubricate door locks, hinges, etc.
Check operation of AC. It may be a good idea to remove the unit's cover and check for debris accumulation....mice may have made it a home!
If stored outside, vent covers may be brittle due to UV exposure. If so, it would be a good time to upgrade to better fans.
Check all the fuses at the converter and have extras before you hit the road.
Check power cord....clean contacts as needed.
(I highly suggest getting a Progressive Industries EMS unit to prevent damage from any bad power posts or power irregularities.)

Good luck...if it has been stored to avoid UV exposure, you could have a real gem. If it's had a lot of UV exposure....it may just require a little work to make it like new.

If you have particular questions, posting pics can really help.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, advice