Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 10:15 AM   #1

Advice on trailer choice or maybe 5er?!

Well. I was about to order a Jayco 264bhok Eagle ht trailer. At the price I’m at and the almost 34’ length my wife suddenly asked “should we just get a 5th wheel?” I am now torn. The Eagle is 9995
Gvwr and 33.5 long. I saw a grand design reflection 278bh for the same price. I have a 2019 ram 2500 gas. 3000 payload. Max 14100 towing. Any advice here. The height difference is negligible.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #2

I believe you missed a zero , in your tow weight rating .

Aside from that ; well your gas engine truck has more payload capacity that it's diesel engine counter part , due to the lighter engine ; you have to know how much weight carrying capacity you have on the rear axle .
I'll assume the 5er also has a GVWR in the 10,000 lb. range ; because you didn't mention it.
A loaded 10,000 GVWR , 5er with pin and hitch weight will load approx 2,000 lbs, on the rear axle of the truck . So knowing if your rear suspension and tires can take the load is very important.
Load the truck , with family , pets etc , fill it with fuel and go over a CAT scale ( highway truck stops have them , and get your existing weights ( front axle , rear axle and total ) to compare to the ratings of your truck .
Once you have actual weight to compare to the trucks ratings and the 5ers GVWR. Please post them all and we can do some better calculations and provide more insight.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I believe you missed a zero , in your tow weight rating .

Aside from that ; well your gas engine truck has more payload capacity that it's diesel engine counter part , due to the lighter engine ; you have to know how much weight carrying capacity you have on the rear axle .
I'll assume the 5er also has a GVWR in the 10,000 lb. range ; because you didn't mention it.
A loaded 10,000 GVWR , 5er with pin and hitch weight will load approx 2,000 lbs, on the rear axle of the truck . So knowing if your rear suspension and tires can take the load is very important.
Load the truck , with family , pets etc , fill it with fuel and go over a CAT scale ( highway truck stops have them , and get your existing weights ( front axle , rear axle and total ) to compare to the ratings of your truck .
Once you have actual weight to compare to the trucks ratings and the 5ers GVWR. Please post them all and we can do some better calculations and provide more insight.
Sorry I should have been more clear. I was asking in terms of trailer choice not my own capability. The truck won’t have a problem with the trailer. I just wanted any advice on choosing one over the other.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #4

OK ; if you've never RV'd in either a TT or a 5er ,then the question of personal preferences comes in .
JMHO: After having owned 4, 5th wheels.
Fivers handle better while towing and usually have way more storage .
Down side , interior stairs , DW's mobility issues led to our purchase of our current class A coach .
Old 11-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #5

We have a 25’ trailer now. It was fine. We like more room but don’t want an insanely long trailer. The idea of a 5er is appealing. I have 2 small boys 5 & 7 who go with us. We plan to use it 8-10 trips per year. I have never owned a 5th wheel so I have no experience towing one. I have towed hitch mount a decent amount for work and at home.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #6

I have been looking at both travel trailers and 5th wheels. I had a 5th wheel but sold it and now have a 2013 travel trailer. Looking to get a newer RV I like the 5th wheels better. I like the upstairs bedroom separation.

Travel trailers are nice but for the same price l like the 5th wheels better.

Now you do need to be mildly careful with the height of a 5th wheel.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:18 PM   #7

Had two TTs and was happy to sell both of them.
Spent a lot on load equalizer hitches etc with little effect. Not a relaxing tow at all. In contrast the fifth sits on the road like it is on rails.

No contest the fiver is much better all round.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:55 PM   #8

I've owned several TT's and one 5er. The 5er is hands down the better of the two for towing, storage and ease of hookup.
Only draw back is harder to back in, height and they cut the inside corners a bit more on turns.
Owned the 5er for 6 years and loved every minute of it excpet for some interior design features. Wanted to get a more room inside and more counter space so we bought the TT we have. I miss the towing/hitching part of the 5er but the cost was considerably less for what we would've got in the TT compared to a same length 5er.
I also like the lower height of the TT as well.

I still prefer a 5er over a TT. But $$$ talks.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #9

Conversely, a neighbor at the campground I'm at told me that it's easier to back the 5er into a spot, this after a career that included towing trailers. He said that it would be easier to back his 36' 5er into a spot than my 21' TT. What I found interesting was that when they moved from a spot on the loop behind us to a spot right next to us, his wife drove it to the spot and then backed it in. He stood outside the driver's door giving some instruction, walking with it to a point. I later found out it was her first time. I glanced up from the inside of my trailer occasionally as I was busy with my chores, and at one point seen that she was not in a good position to continue to back in. Glanced up again and she was gone, sure enough doing a lap to get into a better position. Upon her return she put herself in a better position to back into the spot and in the time it took me to finish the dishes, she was already in there, parked straight & disconnected, with power already hooked up and slide out! I currently am looking at getting a different trailer and my F250 gasser is the limiting point, 3880 payload & 19000 GCVWR with 13000 tow rating. If I had the option I'd get a 5er for the towing experience, the storage, and the shorter overall length vs a TT with the same floor plan. What gets my attention his the height, but in the OP's case the difference is "negligible", so I would favor the 5er. The storage advantage would be helpful as well given all who would be going. But I also agree wholeheartedly, $$$ talks, so there's that too.
guten tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #10

5ers tow better and have less overall length; it depends what you're doing - if you don't need the truck bed and are looking at travel trailers over 26-28', then a fifth wheel is probably a better choice IMO

Dave
Old 11-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #11

We're having this debate at my household. I am really against the idea of a Bumper Pull 30' and over. I think it'd be a PITA to maneuver and it may rule out many campgrounds. The other half wants the "space" of the larger TT.

I'm trying to understand why anyone would tow a 30'+ Bumper Pull? over a 5th wheel. From what I've seen most 3/4 & 1 Ton Vans and SUVs would be pushing the upper limit of their GVWR with some of the long Bumper Pulls. The 5'er to me makes the most sense. Buying new I guess there's a cost savings but on the used market I'm not seeing much difference in price. I'd really like to get a "small" 5'er that won't be a sail in a x-wind and still be easy to fit in most campgrounds. I'm hoping that will be the best compromise in terms of maneuverability and interior volume.

I have never owned nor towed a long bumper pull camper. I have towed plenty of stuff <30' on a bumper hitch and plenty of miles with a gooseneck 2 car trailer that was 40' with a 1 ton dually and it towed the gooseneck like nothing was back there, although it was never fun trying to negotiate that thing into anyplace other than the paddock or the biggest truck stops.
Rogue_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #12

I have had both a 5th wheel and a travel trailer. The 5th wheel was much easier to back up. I had an 8' bed and seemed I could pivot the 5th wheel to get it exactly where I wanted it. I could not do that with travel trailer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #13

Very happy with our TT towing experiences, previously with our F150 pulling our 30' 6000lb camper, and now with our F250 pulling the larger 37' 10,000lb unit. The TT has all the room we need and no steps. However, based on the weight numbers of any 5th wheel we would choose, we would need a one-ton truck to handle the weight. Our 250 while it has the horsepower and torque to pull 15,000lbs, it wouldn't be safe and would be way over limits on the axle. For us, maneuvering the big TT is just a learned skill, we actually back it down an S shaped driveway at the house between trips, and the 250 tows it great. Am sure if we ever get a 5th wheel and a larger truck there'll be a learning curve there also.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue_Ryder View Post

I'm trying to understand why anyone would tow a 30'+ Bumper Pull? over a 5th wheel...
In my case, my wife has pretty bad arthritis, it's bad enough to get in and out of the trailer, adding the additional level/steps inside just makes it harder on her.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, trailer