Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 04:12 AM   #43

re highlander, pre-owned, etc.

I don't mind hearing harsh words, but I don't think we're all over the place, and I don't think it's fair to admonish us on a public forum. We're brand-new at this, haven't purchased anything, and are in the early stages of researching a safe and ideal choice for our family. I absolutely love the advice and am so grateful to have found this forum, but it would be nice to not be criticized. If I want that I can just call my Dad!

All right, so it seems the consensus here is that we should NOT get a highlander, we should buy a pre-owned trailer after learning how to examine it, and a van or a truck is our best towing option. A used van or a truck. A van feels quite overwhelming, but can we really travel long distances -- the five of us, including 2 child car seats -- in a truck? Those back seats look squashed.

Thank you all for your input. I continue to be so grateful.

Amy
amybronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #44

Evergreen Owners Club
I think you are a good candidate for a Suburban XL, GMC Yukon XL, Escalade ESV. All the same basically. Seats 7, will pull what you need. Look at ones with the factory tow package. It's more of a car or mini van than a van or truck. Good old american made General Motors. Lots of shops can work on them. In our book that makes a difference when travelinig around the country.

We pull a Rockwood 2306 with it and it is rock solid and plenty of power. Empty weight 3800 lbs. Loaded 4700lbs. Weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bar.
evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #45

Buying used doesn't have to be a scary thing. There are great great deals out there. Since its your first time in a hard sided trailer I'd recommend it. The depreciation of a new trailer is ridiculous, while a 3-4yr old trailer has already taken the hit and if you hate it you can get very close if not get all your money back. For example we bought a 2010/forest river surveyor sport 295 and just bought a 2002 2500 Yukon xl. Total invested is $20k. Yes the yukon is a little outdated but in excellent condition. The TT is perfect as well so i feel we got two great deals. Cash is King BTW. This TT would be great for y'all because it has 3 bunks, 1 slide out, fold out couch, dinette, outside kitchen and queen bed. Loaded we're at 6500lbs. The Yukon has a 10k tow rating and 2900lb payload capacity so the family, gear, and tongue weight of the trailer will not reach that weight so we are well within our safety margin. The only downfall to a combo like this is poor gas mileage and the yukon won't ride like your mini van. BTW, Don't get a full sized van. They're creepy as heck lol.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, travel trailer, travel