Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2020, 11:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I looked at the Airstream Classic 27 for 120k a few years ago. Then I walked into a 60k 5th wheel and was sold on the 5th wheel. Way more if everything for half the price. More space, more storage, bigger holding tanks, and more comfortable.

For my budget I could not pull the trigger on an Airstream.
that is a no brainer.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 07:23 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When you get into the hardware behind the pretty cabinetry they are built about the same and have the same exact appliances as units costing far far less. Extremely overpriced and what will it look like after a hail storm?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:04 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
When you get into the hardware behind the pretty cabinetry they are built about the same and have the same exact appliances as units costing far far less. Extremely overpriced and what will it look like after a hail storm?
You have got to be kidding. THEY ARE BUILT ABOUT THE SAME.That is way off. The airstream is aluminum out side wall and aluminum inside wall.there is no wood in the walls to warp or rot. Each river hole is hand drilled and each river in the outside wall has to be driven by one guy and bucked by another. This is a slow, labor intensive job. That is why they are so expensive. That is also why you can find so many made in the 40s 50s and 60s in great shape.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Disagree, strongly!

I encourage you to take the factory tour in Ohio. It will only take a few seconds to recognize the differences.

I was skeptical of their asking prices until I took the tour. There is a reason that 50+ year old Airstreams are still on the road and there are very, very few other brands that make it past 15 years.

I don't promote my YT channel here, however, in two weeks (Sun, Feb 9th) I am posting our visit to the Airstream factory. Follow the link in my signature to find the channel. They don't allow cameras in the building, but you'll get more of my impressions.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #19

Simple solution, buy a depreciated Airstream.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Sorry not even close.
Watch this video. Yeah they're really pricey but there's more hand built better quality items in one than any other TT brand.

Even if you don't like the looks or the style you have to agree they're substantially better equipped.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #21

I went to the Factory tour. I was not impressed as the factory was unorganized and 90% manual labor. The average Airstream has 1,400 rivits which any one could leak.

There is a YouTube channel (Long Long Honeymoon) and a sister forum for Airstream.

Airstreams do leak just like all travel trailers that get beat up as they are towed down rough roads.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #22

Airstream—HOW?

They don’t use wood. Plus, I believe they use rock wool insulation, so if they do leak, it’s not as big of deal as when you have materials that will rot, or mold.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #23

What is the floor made of? I think a leak in the outer skin will leak between the inner skin and rot out the floor. That is what happened on the Long Long Honeymoon's trailer. They have one video of water dripping in from another spot also.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #24

Airstream—HOW?

True, but floor is a lot easier to replace than a laminated wall.
I will admit I don’t know much about their product.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:15 AM   #25

I don't know why I'm here defending Airstream? I suppose the tour impressed me "that" much.

Of course they aren't perfect. They will have issues...any product does. But I felt the construction difference was similar to comparing a mobile home to a well built masonry home. It was that much of a difference.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:31 AM   #26

I researched the heck out of Airstream. I watched a lot of video, talked to a lot of people, knew some people that owned one. Like I said, I wanted a 27 Classic Limited. I camped 10 days to a couple that I helped fix a leak in their trailer. The roof is not walkable. The leak was difficult to even get to on the roof.

The floor is not easy to replace as the wall is sitting on it.

Anyway, for me, they had a lot of downside.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #27

No slide. roof not walkable, same appliances as every other RV out there...

For 150K I can buy a brand new truck, and a 27'TT, and have enough left over that if the TT falls apart in 5-10 years, I can go buy another new TT and still be money ahead.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
No slide. roof not walkable, same appliances as every other RV out there...

For 150K I can buy a brand new truck, and a 27'TT, and have enough left over that if the TT falls apart in 5-10 years, I can go buy another new TT and still be money ahead.
NOW someone got the right idea.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, airstream