Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2020, 09:47 PM   #43

If you are really interested, 1) lower your expectations somewhat, 2) start saving now for what you want, 3) join the Airstream forum (which is a RVLife forum and the same log in that works here works there) and learn all you can.

Certain years of used one are undesirable. Beatrice Foods owned AS for a time, and those years had the frames cheapened and they are prone to cracking. AS uses torsion flex axles, now Dexter, back in the '90's it was some other brand. In any case, when the axles begin to settle and the trailer squats, the ONLY fix is to replace the axles. Torsion Flex is used on other trailers, but you won't find it on older models except AS as a general rule. Lots of things to know, quirks that can become expensive if you don't know about them.

If you want to buy new, be very sure of what you are getting, as you will be stuck with it for the rest of your life unless you are willing to take a financial hit. They really are a lifetime investment.

Construction on new ones is with out any doubt, the best of any trailer there is, period.

I am a huge on not buying an enormous trailer or motor home that is really beyond what you need. A not so huge trailer or small Class C can expand your horizons by allowing you to go many places that you might not otherwise, but then again, each to their own. Some like resorts and large private parks, others, like me prefer state and national parks, public owned parks, local and federal, and many will not have the 50 amp and huge sites that you might need if you buy big.

I always have considered recreational items, be they boats, RV's, jet skis, whatever, to be something that if you cannot afford to pay for (cash) you probably don't need. If you are willing to finance, then consider the fact that your car may have to go more years then planned so the money can go for the toys. Life is a trade off. Other than my house, the only thing I ever financed was a $7000 zero turn mower, and I paid it off early when the company gave us a bonus check one year. Twenty years later I am still using that same mower. My '04 car has 230K miles on it, the old '91 Ranger has 330K on it and the low mileage one is a 2003 RAM2500 I bought in 2018 and it has 96K on it. I bought the RAM for the express purpose of towing a trailer, it is an extra vehicle and is used very little.

Charles
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Ragu View Post
Disagree, strongly!

I encourage you to take the factory tour in Ohio. It will only take a few seconds to recognize the differences.

I was skeptical of their asking prices until I took the tour. There is a reason that 50+ year old Airstreams are still on the road and there are very, very few other brands that make it past 15 years.

I don't promote my YT channel here, however, in two weeks (Sun, Feb 9th) I am posting our visit to the Airstream factory. Follow the link in my signature to find the channel. They don't allow cameras in the building, but you'll get more of my impressions.
Have never seen your YT channel before, but I will look some of the videos over to see if they are of interest to me.

The AS is a very different animal. Every cabinet is made to go thru the door, they build the trailer then install everything in it. The cabinetry is top notch, no cheap stuff. True the appliances are the same, sorta, I am sure they use the better quality fridges and the rest of the stuff, well if it works, what else is there to want?

Charles
Old 06-27-2020, 10:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I went to the Factory tour. I was not impressed as the factory was unorganized and 90% manual labor. The average Airstream has 1,400 rivits which any one could leak.

There is a YouTube channel (Long Long Honeymoon) and a sister forum for Airstream.

Airstreams do leak just like all travel trailers that get beat up as they are towed down rough roads.
Yes, they can and do leak, the rivets don't if you know how they are set, they are basically sealed by the driving/bucking process. Its the seams and around windows and other penetrations that leaks form, just like any other. No TV antenna, no leak, no radio antenna, no leak.

The seams are sealed on the INSIDE, which I, as a long time aircraft mechanic, find very weird. I fully understand the issues of trying to put on sealer, fit and rivet a panel, clean off the sealer on the outside and in, but that would stop the seam leaks, but the labor is way over the top to do this.

I am having a hard time understanding what you expect in a RV factory, robots? Only in the automobile industry is it practical to us robotic assembly. The Airstream is built like an airplane, and airplane factories are almost all labor, hand work. I suspect it is much more organized than you think it is, it may not look it, but there is a method to their madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I went to the Factory tour. I was not impressed as the factory was unorganized and 90% manual labor. The average Airstream has 1,400 rivits which any one could leak.

There is a YouTube channel (Long Long Honeymoon) and a sister forum for Airstream.

Airstreams do leak just like all travel trailers that get beat up as they are towed down rough roads.
Yes, they can and do leak, the rivets don't if you know how they are set, they are basically sealed by the driving/bucking process. Its the seams and around windows and other penetrations that leaks form, just like any other. No TV antenna, no leak, no radio antenna, no leak.

The seams are sealed on the INSIDE, which I, as a long time aircraft mechanic, find very weird. I fully understand the issues of trying to put on sealer, fit and rivet a panel, clean off the sealer on the outside and in, but that would stop the seam leaks, but the labor is way over the top to do this.

I am having a hard time understanding what you expect in a RV factory, robots? Only in the automobile industry is it practical to us robotic assembly. The Airstream is built like an airplane, and airplane factories are almost all labor, hand work. I suspect it is much more organized than you think it is, it may not look it, but there is a method to their madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
As a former RV service manager and a owner of four different Airstreams, I feel I am somewhat qualified to answer this question. Airstreams last much longer than other types of construction. You can still find Airstreams from the forties and fifties that are still in good shape without a complete restoration. Most customers want a trailer they can full time in and not worry about the ceiling coming apart. (How many trailers and motorhomes have seen where the foam in the ceiling panels is coming apart.) Most customers want a rv that will not delaminate if you get a leak. Contrary to what others have said rivets dont leak. I have shot rivets and I have bucked rivets. Aluminum airplanes use the riveted wings to store fuel. To me the only downside to aluminum construction is fact that the aluminum outside conducts hot and cold to the stringers (ribs) in the wall and then into the inside aluminum walls. This makes a Airstream a little harder to cool and heat. The newer Airstreams have thermal barrier tape on both sides of the stringer to prevent this. Pride of ownership probably pays into some of the reasons to buy a Airstream. Having the best is no reason to look down on someone's choice of a RV. Most of the airstream owners I talked to bought a airstream for the quality and lack of problems with the body. Of course the inside appliances are the same crappy stuff as the cheap trailers.
Only part I disagree with is the "crappy appliances". You certainly have a lot more experience than I do at RVs, but I fail to see how the appliances are really "crappy". Everything I have had worked, simply put, Norcold fridges that got cold, Atwood water heaters that got hot, stoves that cook. Whats there to ask for. I do think there are better and cheaper fridges, and stoves, but that is about it. Possibly I have just been lucky.

Charles
Old 06-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #46

Airstream owners are just that airstream owners. Most arent very friendly. and they call everything else big white boxes. Ask airstream owners about slides. they could never get them to seal and ya took a bath when it rains. never admit this. but watch a slide equipped airstream in a rain storm. They all pull the slide in. 50A service two airs on a 26ft says they arent insulated and tough to keep cool in the summer. just my opinion. buying AS means a name a shiny exterior to spend hours polishing every few months. lol
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #47

Too expensive. Purchased by Thor I believe. Metalosis problems. If you must buy a used one. Depends on what it takes to make you feel important and want to stand out.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:29 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Airstream is way over priced for what they provide. Next as suggested, look for RVs that match your budget. Look for a gently used 3 to 5 year old higher end used RV. You are money ahead on a good used unit over new. RV depreciate a lot the minute you drive it off the lot.

If you want use and a project, look at Avion trailers from the 1980's. They are priced better and better built than an Airstream.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:53 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Airstream is way over priced for what they provide. Next as suggested, look for RVs that match your budget. Look for a gently used 3 to 5 year old higher end used RV. You are money ahead on a good used unit over new. RV depreciate a lot the minute you drive it off the lot.

If you want use and a project, look at Avion trailers from the 1980's. They are priced better and better built than an Airstream.

Ken
I think spartans look nicer but theyve been out way longer than avion.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:01 AM   #50

AS

I have been RV'ing for over 40 years. Had most configurations of RV except Motorhome. I have always admired Airstreams but while younger could not afford one. Fast forward to 2019 and at age 69 , I could afford a new Airstream. Sold ,(had to wholesale), our Jayco 5th wheel and bought my new dream 25' Flying Cloud Airstream. Paid cash. Has it had problems -- sure. Typical RV problems, mud daubers in AC , control board in water heater , sail switch in furnace , all dealt with. Use a mobil RV tech as dealer is 130 miles away.
No regrets.
Keep on dreaming , they may come true
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0771 2-S.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	296496  
Old 08-11-2020, 05:28 PM   #51
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Airstream owners are just that airstream owners. Most arent very friendly. and they call everything else big white boxes. Ask airstream owners about slides. they could never get them to seal and ya took a bath when it rains. never admit this. but watch a slide equipped airstream in a rain storm. They all pull the slide in. 50A service two airs on a 26ft says they arent insulated and tough to keep cool in the summer. just my opinion. buying AS means a name a shiny exterior to spend hours polishing every few months. lol
I thought I was fairly friendly.... maybe not.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #52
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I thought I was fairly friendly.... maybe not.
We have two AS in our home park - and both owners are as friendly as anyone else there and one of the couples are our best buddies there
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:16 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysman View Post
I don’t own an airstream but I have always been intrigued by them. I’ve only found one layout that I like and I not only like it I love the layout. I currently own a TT that cost me 30k 6 years ago. We have.a12 year note on it. My question is, do you have to get a 30year note to afford airstream? The model I like is 160k and I can’t imagine making that hefty of a payment for something that will be in my garage for the Ohio winter months. How long is a normal length note on an airstream?
If I was under 6' tall,I would own an airstream. I know 10 couple who have purchased one unit and owned it for 30 years. through children and not into grand children. I am not aware of any other camper that has that kind of durability. I am wondering now if they have the same QA issues as the rest of the RV world.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #54

Not an Airstream owner. We did look @ a 31' Airstream Motorhome at one time but it just had not been maintained as I would want so that didn't work out.
That being said, there is no substitute for quality and with all of the issues I see posted about issues with slides I probably wouldn't throw rocks in that glass house. ( no our RV doesn't have slides and that was a conscious choice on our part ) If an Airstream isn't your cup of tea, so be it. I hope you are more than happy with your choice of RV and enjoy many trouble free miles.
As far as Airstream owners being aloof and unfriendly that is a pretty broad ( and also untrue ) statement. I do understand being on the receiving end of that kind of thinking as we own a Bluebird Wanderlodge and get the same undeserved bad rap just because of our choice of RV.
If you happen to see us on the road, say hello. I promise to return the greeting as we really enjoy RV'ing and the people we have met.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:09 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Airstream.owners are a different breed. They think they have the best and the greatest. When they sell.in 3 years. Because they owned it its worth more then they paid. Someone in an airstream ask what i owned. He said owe another "big white box". I said yeah but your airstream fits in my living room and i can still sit in my recliner and watch TV. or cook on the stove etc. He turned red got mad and stomped his feet walking away. Airstream actually made a model with slides. But they leaked horribly around the slide. Take a shower when it rains. they stopped making them lol. would i own one. no. maybe if i was midget. otherwise no way. im 6'5 couldnt even stand straight up in one
You little people always cause problems! (I am 6'7").

I do have a couple of normal sized friends that own Airstreams. They bought new, and said that I will spend more on many campers than they will do on the one. If I was under 6', I would own one.

That said, I usually buy used. So we pay much less than what the new purchaser does.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:33 AM   #56

Ford Super Duty Owner
When you go to a tourist area and see all the Airstream trailers converted to fast food trailers, there is a reason. It cost thousands of dollars to convert a trailer to a service vehicle. They want something that will not rot down in a few years.

Tags
air, airstream