Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
We absolutely would, for the previous reasons mentioned, and several additional.

Profile make side wind gusts a non-issue (especially with very low center of gravity with all tanks located very low, but enclosed!)
Storage is more than adequate for non-full timers (though bed configuration determines how much, how many exterior compartments you have.)
Zero complexity - No slides, so you pull over for gas and you can go in back and start a meal.
Super fast set up (we have power stabilizers, but not bad with manual).

This very recent video by Keep Your Daydream of their is very comprehensive - especially for a family that have owned something like FIVE trailers in a few short years, putting tens of thousands of miles on them.

No RV (trailer or MH) is going to be perfect, but these are built to last a lot longer than others...and the resale is awesome as a result!
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
We absolutely would, for the previous reasons mentioned, and several additional.

Profile make side wind gusts a non-issue (especially with very low center of gravity with all tanks located very low, but enclosed!)
Storage is more than adequate for non-full timers (though bed configuration determines how much, how many exterior compartments you have.)
Zero complexity - No slides, so you pull over for gas and you can go in back and start a meal.
Super fast set up (we have power stabilizers, but not bad with manual).

This very recent video by Keep Your Daydream of their is very comprehensive - especially for a family that have owned something like FIVE trailers in a few short years, putting tens of thousands of miles on them.

No RV (trailer or MH) is going to be perfect, but these are built to last a lot longer than others...and the resale is awesome as a result!
I watched that yesterday. Thanks for the suggestion
TOO LONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #31

One thing that worries me about the modern Airstream is the fact that so many current owners say they have to have a $3K hitch or they experience sway.

One Airstream forum I follow has a lot of owners claiming they wouldn't tow without a Hensley type hitch because cheaper hitch designs lead to sway and danger.

This used to not be the case. They were known as the best towing trailer on the planet.

Something must have changed.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #32

Are they worried about sway in a paranoid way or are they really experiencing sway?
Don't take this personal but AS owners have some decent $$$ if they can afford an AS period. Now factor in all the sway phobia thats on the net and IMO thats why they get Hensleys or ProPrides.
It's also a bit of clout bling IMO. In their eyes it's the best hitch with the best TT.
I also wonder who's claiming sway. Is it the guy with the marginal SUV or the guy with the super duty truck?
I read several non brand RV forums and honestly don't remember any AS threads about sway issues. I guess AS owners never hardly come on those forums since they have their own.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #33

Talking to many AS owners, the reason they have a $3000 hitch is because the are pulling with only a half ton. Which is pushing the limit
Old 11-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #34

I think this image from the 1987 Ford Towing guide is interesting....

(A 1987 Crown Victoria was rated to tow 5000 pounds and had 150 horsepower.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1987fordtruck_rec_13.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	473.1 KB
ID:	309620  

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #35

So ? Did anyone that actually owns one respond ?
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer6 View Post
One thing that worries me about the modern Airstream is the fact that so many current owners say they have to have a $3K hitch or they experience sway.

One Airstream forum I follow has a lot of owners claiming they wouldn't tow without a Hensley type hitch because cheaper hitch designs lead to sway and danger.

This used to not be the case. They were known as the best towing trailer on the planet.

Something must have changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO LONG View Post
Talking to many AS owners, the reason they have a $3000 hitch is because the are pulling with only a half ton. Which is pushing the limit
This is almost certainly the case. People towing with light weight vehicles with highly inflated towing capacities (yes, the flat bed of bricks trick) and shorter wheelbases.

In the old days it was a Olds Vista Cruiser wagon or a Surburban or Travelall, or some other tank of a vehicle, and if they did 55 mph they were doing good.

Charles
Old 11-28-2020, 08:37 PM   #37

A former owner here, would I buy a new one.
Nope.

To expensive, lack of storage space.
However; I would love to have a new one

IMO The best feature of an Airstream TT it will last a life time can't say that about any other TT I know of.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The question should be why would you want to buy another AS and if you did how much did you lose on the transaction?
I ordered my 2nd Airstream after selling my 2019 Airstream for about 10% more than I paid for it new.

Crazy times.
JayBauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:36 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBauman View Post
I ordered my 2nd Airstream after selling my 2019 Airstream for about 10% more than I paid for it new.

Crazy times.
You got lucky. Thank your Covid stars.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:48 PM   #40

I have researched Airstreams and TT for a few years now and not so long ago went deep diving the internet for several COVID days on just the Airstream. I honestly think I found the end of the internet one day during that marathon research.

My final takeaway was the Airstream holds it's value better than any other TT, it lacks on internal and external storage space and can be hard to hold heat in winter camping or keep cool in summer heat. Would I buy one? Yes

My perfect Airstream would be the 23 or 25 foot with flipped axels / 16" tires and loaded up with solar panels and Battleborn batteries.

My backup brand is Lance, I really like the 2295 layout.

I also think cooling and heating upgrades to older Airstreams could go a long ways to making them better. Not a big concern for me as I would not be doing 0 deg winter camping or 110 deg summer camping. As for storage that is what the pickup bed is for.

As they say there is no perfect rig it's what you make of it.
Dennis58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
I have researched Airstreams and TT for a few years now and not so long ago went deep diving the internet for several COVID days on just the Airstream. I honestly think I found the end of the internet one day during that marathon research.

My final takeaway was the Airstream holds it's value better than any other TT, it lacks on internal and external storage space and can be hard to hold heat in winter camping or keep cool in summer heat. Would I buy one? Yes

My perfect Airstream would be the 23 or 25 foot with flipped axels / 16" tires and loaded up with solar panels and Battleborn batteries.

My backup brand is Lance, I really like the 2295 layout.

I also think cooling and heating upgrades to older Airstreams could go a long ways to making them better. Not a big concern for me as I would not be doing 0 deg winter camping or 110 deg summer camping. As for storage that is what the pickup bed is for.

As they say there is no perfect rig it's what you make of it.
Having owned a 30' Airstream (recently sold; a 2021 33' Airstream is on order), I agree with some of your comments and disagree with others.

We've spent a week on South Padre Island in mid-August, with 100° days at +90% humidity. This heat/humidity combo is about the worst-case scenario for RV air conditioning. We were able to keep the Airstream cool and comfortable with the factory AC units only.

As for cold-weather camping...while we've camped in below-freezing temperatures, it's not very robust to these conditions. My new Classic 33 has electric tank heaters and passive radiant (hydronic) heating, so this model will fare a bit better in the cold. Either way, humidity removal is a problem and water tends to condense on the interior walls. Nothing good can come from water on the interior of the trailer.

The lack-of-storage issue is not as simple as it seems. At first glance storage seems rather limited, as typically there are no large external storage places and/or basements. However, the coach designers have done an excellent job of optimizing every bit of real estate within the trailer; no space goes wasted. There are drawers and shelves and cabinets and nooks and crannies throughout. We've had no trouble finding places to bring along everything we wanted--right up to the trailer GVWR limit; if I had more storage, I couldn't use it anyway.

For me, the biggest downside is the rather confined interior space. With the rounded corners and absence of slide-outs, the interiors comparatively small. The thoughtful design of the layouts and interiors help ameliorate this...but after a few weeks on the road, it gets cramped with the 4 of us and the Chocolate Lab. This forces us to spend as much time outside doing things as possible; so maybe it's not a bad thing?

The next biggest downside to me is the overall cost. These things are 2 or 3 or 4 times as expensive as SOB trailers. The initial cash outlay is steep. However, they do hold their values incredibly well. After 18 months, 60 nights and 17,000 miles I sold my 2019 for about 10% more than I paid for it new. I admit part of this is due to COVID supply/demand imbalance. But partly now. I only bought a new trailer in 2019 because the used ones were retailing for only about 10% less than I ended up paying new.
JayBauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:45 AM   #42

ameliorate- now that is a word
a word I have never used
learn something new everyday

Tags
air, airstream