Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #1

Airstream Owners Only. Would you buy another?

Went to the Airstream dealership over the weekend. We liked how well they were fitted. I came home and began researching AS. They have some serious problems. Leaking, floor rot, and temp control being the leading issues.

For you AS owners, what is your experience and would you buy AS again if you had to do it over again?

Thanks for the help.
TOO LONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #2

In 2010 I came really close to buying the 27 Classic. I really liked the Hickory Wood they used. I even went to the factory. I found many things I did not like. They are really low to the ground so pulling the drain valves in difficult. Also there is not much storage.

I watched the Long Long Honeymoon on YouTube. They took their AS to Alaska. I guess the rough road caused their AS to leak. Like drip drip drip. They found hidden floor rot between the outer aluminum and inter aluminum.

Oh, no slides and cramped inside.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #3

There was a time the Airstream was the cat's meow

Not true any more....build quality/reliability are in the dumper

Too bad...they were a quality unit
But always lacked storage and headroom
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:47 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I wondered about this @Old-Biscuit. We had a Thor Four Winds Super C years ago, bought brand new, and it was a pile of junk. I wondered if that awesome Thor quality had made it to Airstream or not.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #5

My personal experience with Airstream was only a 3 week rental 8 years ago No complaints and the best towing bumper-pull trailer ever IMO.

I have 3 friends with Airstreams. 2 have restored older models one of which is permanently docked used as a B&B. The other uses his 3-4 times year.
The 3rd friend went from a class A motorhome to a 22’ Airstream spring of 2019. He had two problems with the new one( that I know of) One was the retractable shower door kept sticking in
the open position . The other was a leak in the front window. Since he was 300 miles from the nearest dealer, Airstream sent the parts and reimbursed him for a mobile Tech to fix the leak and replace the shower door assembly. Hassle free service experience according to him.

If I was buying a travel trailer Airstreams would be at the top of my list....probably.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:38 AM   #6

We had a 1978 27 ft, Airstream that we bought used in 1994. Pulled it all over the USA. including a 3 month trip to Alaska. Never had a problem in the 4 years we owned it. Would I buy a new one if I could afford one? Yes because they look so cool but from everything I have heard they just are not what they used to be.
B RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #7

Flying Cloud

Bought a 2019 FB . Some glitches , had fixed, would buy again.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:40 PM   #8

We purchased a new 2019 Airstream Flying Cloud. It is a great camper; the wife and kids loved that thing. We did 17,000 miles and 60 nights in the first 18 months we owed it. We sold it. Wait---what?

It's a sellers' market in the RV world right now, and I sold the trailer for about 10% more than I paid for it new. I didn't intend for my Airstream to be an "investment", but I won't complain.

Airstreams are expensive. They don't have slides. The curved structure reduces potential storage capacity. So would I purchase another one? Yes. Actually, we already did. We'll pick up a 2021 Classic 33 Twin in January. Why? Airstreams are awesome. The trailer profile is iconic. They hold their value incredibly well. The low, aerodynamic shape makes them easy to pull. As for quality, the only real problems we've experienced are related to Dometic/Atwood appliances. The current models all come with single-piece composite flooring, so there are no wood/organic materials to rot. Airstream has been making these aluminum babies for 90 years and they estimate that 70% of them are still on the road. Twenty years from now, I (or some future owner) will probably gut my Airstream and completely modernize the interior. This thing will last a really long time. You can't really say that about most other RV trailers.

JayBauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:14 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBauman View Post
We purchased a new 2019 Airstream Flying Cloud. It is a great camper; the wife and kids loved that thing. We did 17,000 miles and 60 nights in the first 18 months we owed it. We sold it. Wait---what?

It's a sellers' market in the RV world right now, and I sold the trailer for about 10% more than I paid for it new. I didn't intend for my Airstream to be an "investment", but I won't complain.

Airstreams are expensive. They don't have slides. The curved structure reduces potential storage capacity. So would I purchase another one? Yes. Actually, we already did. We'll pick up a 2021 Classic 33 Twin in January. Why? Airstreams are awesome. The trailer profile is iconic. They hold their value incredibly well. The low, aerodynamic shape makes them easy to pull. As for quality, the only real problems we've experienced are related to Dometic/Atwood appliances. The current models all come with single-piece composite flooring, so there are no wood/organic materials to rot. Airstream has been making these aluminum babies for 90 years and they estimate that 70% of them are still on the road. Twenty years from now, I (or some future owner) will probably gut my Airstream and completely modernize the interior. This thing will last a really long time. You can't really say that about most other RV trailers.

WE met some very nice folks that have a 2020 30' classic and were very willing to show it to us. Then we saw a 33' classic at a dealer. Beautiful trailers.

I wish they made the Classic in smaller 27-28' units. The Globe Trotter is close to the Classic, but not quite there.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:12 AM   #10

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Nice looking rig. What kind of truck are you using. I know what you mean about a buyers market. Life happens our MH sat for 6 months. I felt bad , it just sitting there. Guy made an offer for 20% more than what we paid for it. We let it go. Happy/sad day. We are wanting to down size and have begun our search and research for our next rv. It will be a TT.So much junk out there.
I was hoping to hear nothing but good from AS, but on their forum there are lots of issues. Glad you are not dealing with any.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO LONG View Post
Thanks for the reply. Nice looking rig. What kind of truck are you using. I know what you mean about a buyers market. Life happens our MH sat for 6 months. I felt bad , it just sitting there. Guy made an offer for 20% more than what we paid for it. We let it go. Happy/sad day. We are wanting to down size and have begun our search and research for our next rv. It will be a TT.So much junk out there.
I was hoping to hear nothing but good from AS, but on their forum there are lots of issues. Glad you are not dealing with any.
I tow with a 2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD AT4 Duramax. In the latest design iteration, GM has really nailed the specs for us "weekend RVers". The multiple camera views (including the awesome "invisible trailer"), the 10-speed Allison, the built-in trailering app (automatically recall trailer settings, integrated trailer tire pressure monitoring, single-person trailer light check, etc.) and the independent front suspension make this an absolutely great tow vehicle. I ordered the 3500HD since my previous 2500HD didn't have enough payload capacity for trailer, family, dogs, firewood, and generators. GM has greatly enhanced the payload capacity, so even a fully-loaded 2500HD has >3300lbs. with the new models. Had I known this, I would probably have a 3/4 ton instead.

I'm not sure how much credence I give to evidence of quality and durability on the various RV forums. Statistically, people tend to vent and post complaints when they are unhappy, but nobody really says much when everything is perfect. I recommend you talk to a competent RV mechanic who has vast experience working on many different makes/models. They can give you a relative ranking of short term and long term quality of various RV manufacturers. Airstream may not always be at the top of these lists, but it usually scores quite high. The fact that there are no cardboard walls and everything is held together with rivets means that the things you really care about are taken care of. The only wood in the new models is in the cabinets; structurally, it's all steel, aluminum, and space-age composites. Do some more homework before you completely write off Airstream.
JayBauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:29 PM   #12

Quote:
I tow with a 2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD AT4 Duramax. In the latest design iteration, GM has really nailed the specs for us "weekend RVers". The multiple camera views (including the awesome "invisible trailer"), the 10-speed Allison, the built-in trailering app (automatically recall trailer settings, integrated trailer tire pressure monitoring, single-person trailer light check, etc.) and the independent front suspension make this an absolutely great tow vehicle. I ordered the 3500HD since my previous 2500HD didn't have enough payload capacity for trailer, family, dogs, firewood, and generators. GM has greatly enhanced the payload capacity, so even a fully-loaded 2500HD has >3300lbs. with the new models. Had I known this, I would probably have a 3/4 ton instead.

I'm not sure how much credence I give to evidence of quality and durability on the various RV forums. Statistically, people tend to vent and post complaints when they are unhappy, but nobody really says much when everything is perfect. I recommend you talk to a competent RV mechanic who has vast experience working on many different makes/models. They can give you a relative ranking of short term and long term quality of various RV manufacturers. Airstream may not always be at the top of these lists, but it usually scores quite high. The fact that there are no cardboard walls and everything is held together with rivets means that the things you really care about are taken care of. The only wood in the new models is in the cabinets; structurally, it's all steel, aluminum, and space-age composites. Do some more homework before you completely write off Airstream.
I have not written them off. Just trying to get as much non bias info as I can. No wood is probably the best improvement they have made.

I was hoping to get a 2500 truck. 3500 should be able to pull 2 airstreams.
You have a nice looking rig. Thanks for the help
Old 10-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Jay Bauman,

My understanding is AS went to the composite floor sometime last year? Is that correct?
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My parents bought one years ago, an Excella 500. Their Wally Byam # was 8008. They traded it in on a Foretravel motorhome in 1983.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, airstream