Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #1

Airstream with 5 people?

Hello,

I've been in the rv market for about 4 months now and I'm no closer to buying anything. I really like the perceived quality and style of the airstream. They seem to be top notch. Has anyone had experience traveling with 5 people? I'm wondering about converting beds every night and the limited storage. Also how tight is it with 5? I'm also looking at 5th wheels too so it's not that easy to cross compare. I want something quality and that will last... And be comfortable for 5...and two small dogs.

Hmmm, the more I type the more I'm thinking 5th wheel, lol... But damn airstreams are really cool.

Thanks!
Chrisr813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2019, 10:00 AM   #2

TT---5th wheel
Regardless 5 people and 2 dogs will get 'tight'

Airstream is a well built RV

5th wheel will have more storage due to outside compartments

I take it 3 of the 5 are KIDS?
turning dinettes/sofas/couches into beds at night and back into dinettes/sofas/couches in AM is ALL part of the camping experience in a TT or 5th wheel
Taking a tent along is sometimes a good option
Sleeping bags on the floor is another
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #3

Quality Travel Trailer Brands

Last winter (2018) I joined the Dutchmen Owners forum and expressed my disappointment with my new Dutchmen Kodiak Cub. My opinion of Dutchmen travel trailers has not improved since then. Total cost of ownership has not been lower than much higher priced trailers.
Last year I found a thread on iRV2.com started by a new member who wanted advice on what to buy for his first travel trailer. What followed was a compilation of 1000’s of camper hours of experience and a list of brands from owners with firsthand experience. Needless to say Dutchmen and many other Thor companies were specifically not recommended. Their only advantage is low purchase price. Jayco is now a Thor company and the last 2? model years are also specifically not recommended. A short list of recommended brands and brief comments follow. I wish I had this information before buying.
Artic Fox
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi
$25k to $50k thermal pane windows
Hamersville Ohio (Cincinnati)
Outdoor RV
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi , $25k to $50k
Thermal pane windows, dealer in Denver.
Cooler in sun, Excellent support
Lance are $10-$25k more than the same length ORV Creekside or Timber Ridge.
2018 28'8" Timber Ridge was $34,700
Air Stream
Recent corrosion problem
Grand Design
Insulated well
Winnebago
Was Sunnybrook
Grand Design
One bad review
Elite Suites
Lance
Newell
TIFFIN
Excellent service
Nash
Oliver Travel Trailers
A company with a different business model.
New TT's are only available from the factory, no dealers. They have none in stock. They are only available by ordering. There are very few floor plans and sizes. Only the best components are used.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:29 AM   #4

Life Style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr813 View Post
Hello,

I really like the perceived quality and style of the airstream. …

I'm also looking at 5th wheels too so it's not that easy to cross compare. I want something quality and that will last... And be comfortable for 5...and two small dogs.
Good advice posted above. Air Streams come in many different sizes. What size are you thinking?
Are you planning on camping in below freezing weather?

The Air Stream's and Oliver's will be easier to tow than most other designs due to their aerodynamic shapes. Both have excellent reputations.

Life style matters. Camping may be about being outdoors. TT is for sleeping, inclement weather, high heat, and clouds of mosquitos. Some TT's even come with a second kitchen on the outside.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr813 View Post
Hello,

Has anyone had experience traveling with 5 people? I'm wondering about converting beds every night and the limited storage. Also how tight is it with 5?
Thanks!
I am from a family of 5 kids and we camped regularly in a popup tent trailer. We spent the summer of 1976 touring the country and thoroughly enjoyed it! My dad was career navy and each of us had a "seabag" which all of our stuff had to fit into. We each had a task to do when making camp and had everything setup in about ten minutes.

Now have a 30 ft travel trailer for just my wife and I...
John Pattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:47 AM   #6

Bring wallet: http://sale.ultimateairstream.com/project/bunkhouse6/
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #7

The truth is that you should be outside of the trailer as much as possible. Not tight at all out there. Lots of space.
Rktect23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #8

Depending on how far you plan on traveling, having five people, and two dogs in the cab of a truck isn't going to be much fun. If you get a fifth wheel, you will have no choice but to get a pickup truck. A mid sized travel trailer, you could pull with a Suburban, Expedition type SUV, which would give a little more interior space. I suppose you could train your dogs to ride comfortably in the trailer. It might take a bit to get them used to it.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:12 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Anyway you slice it, a Airstream will be short on storage, especially with no slides offered. I would look at the ORV line either the Timber Ridge tt line, the top of the line Blackstone tt line, their Glacier Peak 5er line, or their "new" toy hauler line.

One rap of a ORV is they don't have too many floorplans with bunk beds which you will need for a family of 5. The Toyhauler line would accommodate with the two queen beds that come down from the ceiling at night, and raise up for day use and more room.

We have the mid-level Timber Ridge with a "rustic" interior. Very solidly built unit that starts with the sub-structure. MorRyde 3000 suspension, heavier axles, double pane windows, larger tanks.....Yes, they run about $15k more than the cheap "stick & tin" RV's but 1/2 or 1/3rd of a $100k Airstream...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #10

Awesome! Thanks.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
5 people is going to be pretty tight in all but the biggest of RVs that are specifically designed for it.

Airstreams are very nice but they are also very expensive. The price reflects the fact that they will last longer than almost anything else on the market. Even their biggest models are going to be tough for five people from what I have seen but I am no expert on that brand.
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:52 AM   #12

Expanding on Superslif's (and others) wise advice...

If Airstream is on your list, then we'll assume you are considering new, and have a flexible budget.

A tale of two well-built travel trailers, room for a family of 5, two dogs, = "Burma Shave".

One; Top of the line, aluminum superstructure, bunkhouse, heavy duty frame, off road chassis with shocks, very well insulated, at home down in Florida, or Western mountains.
Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 27BHS.
ORV | Timber Ridge 27BHS

So, when you look for the 27BHS on the ORV site, it doesn't show up, they have a 28BKS listed but no specs. I'll guess the new model will be the 28BKS?

Here's a new 2019 27BHS at Thompson:
https://www.thompsonrvinc.com/defaul...=xNewInventory

It's what's under the skin that counts. Edit: I actually prefer this older version, tells the whole story:
https://youtu.be/AK6jQRxBKeo

Two; "The mostest, for the leastest", IMO. Pay attention to the flloorplan of this Northwood Nash vs. sister company Outdoors RV Timber Ridge above. Primary difference is heavy duty wood frame superstructure, and trim level, also fiberglass insulation instead of block foam on the Outdoors RV. Interesting...
Northwood | Nash 29S

Nash walk through video:
https://youtu.be/T85sRjhd8jc

Either are a perfect match for your current '15 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax, so the hard part is already done. While this is a fairly long trailer, I would appreciate the bunk advantages vs typical fifth wheel layout.
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
Expanding on Superslif's (and others) wise advice...

If Airstream is on your list, then we'll assume you are considering new, and have a flexible budget.

A tale of two well-built travel trailers, room for a family of 5, two dogs, = "Burma Shave".

One; Top of the line, aluminum superstructure, bunkhouse, heavy duty frame, off road chassis with shocks, very well insulated, at home down in Florida, or Western mountains.
Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 27BHS.
ORV | Timber Ridge 27BHS

So, when you look for the 27BHS on the ORV site, it doesn't show up, they have a 28BKS listed but no specs. I'll guess the new model will be the 28BKS?

Here's a new 2019 27BHS at Thompson:
https://www.thompsonrvinc.com/defaul...=xNewInventory

It's what's under the skin that counts. Edit: I actually prefer this older version, tells the whole story:
https://youtu.be/AK6jQRxBKeo

Two; "The mostest, for the leastest", IMO. Pay attention to the flloorplan of this Northwood Nash vs. sister company Outdoors RV Timber Ridge above. Primary difference is heavy duty wood frame superstructure, and trim level, also fiberglass insulation instead of block foam on the Outdoors RV. Interesting...
Northwood | Nash 29S

Nash walk through video:
https://youtu.be/T85sRjhd8jc

Either are a perfect match for your current '15 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax, so the hard part is already done. While this is a fairly long trailer, I would appreciate the bunk advantages vs typical fifth wheel layout.
Thanks Normal Dave! I'll check out these links.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachDitka View Post
5 people is going to be pretty tight in all but the biggest of RVs that are specifically designed for it.

Airstreams are very nice but they are also very expensive. The price reflects the fact that they will last longer than almost anything else on the market. Even their biggest models are going to be tough for five people from what I have seen but I am no expert on that brand.
It's possible to get 6 people in airstream if they are not too big We were camping with my asian friends and it was ok
brown.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, airstream