Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #1

Andersen WDH

Since the owner of Andersen defaced Arches NP I am looking to replace the Andersen WDH with something else. Unfortunately I had it welded on. It has worked well. It is the only WDH I have owned. I will have it cut off.

I have a TT which has a tongue weight of about 500 lbs. I may be getting a different trailer with a tongue weight of about 1000 lbs later this year.

I have a 2011 Toyo Tundra with tow package, 5.7L engine, 4x4. I carry about 300 lbs behind the rear wheels.

I need something easy to handle, able to back up without unhitching, and able to make fairly tight turns, if that is possible.

I don't really care about cost.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #2

equal-i-zer will fit your needs.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #3

You know, you've already spent the money. Do you just want to remove it so you are not seen as supporting/endorsing Andersen? I could understand that.

Anywho, I use the Blue Ox Sway Pro and love it. They make different WD bars for different weights. Be careful though...there are two versions of the hitch head. One for normal couplers and one for underslung couplers.

Also, since you mention cost not being an issue, look at the Pro Pride or the Hensley Arrow. High cost, but by most accounts, they are the most effective at sway control. Most of the hitch stays with the trailer as well.

Good luck!

Ken
Old 04-26-2018, 03:20 AM   #4

I pull a 17' Casita with an Overtank platform and Honda 3000 generator on top. I probably should have mentioned that at the start. I may be buying an Airstream 25' later this year or next.

The Casita tongue weight is about 500 lbs when loaded.

The Casita is my first and only trailer thus far, and the Andersen WDH is the only WDH I have ever used.

I checked out the Pro Pride 3P...I may have been a bit hasty when I stated money was not object...about $3000 with shipping and incidentals...

Also I don't think I have the room to mount such a beast on the Casita.

I will check out the Blue Ox and Equalizer.

Also the Pro Pride (PP) and Hensley allege to ELIMINATE sway, whereas all others seem only reduce sway.

I am not certain it is possible to back up with the PP without first un attaching something.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Since the owner of Andersen defaced Arches NP
Huh? What happened?
Old 04-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Huh? What happened?
The family went to BLM land and scratched their names into a rock formation. That is illegal on BLM land and other national parks lands.

FYI.

Ken
khuffmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I pull a 17' Casita with an Overtank platform and Honda 3000 generator on top. I probably should have mentioned that at the start. I may be buying an Airstream 25' later this year or next.

The Casita tongue weight is about 500 lbs when loaded.

The Casita is my first and only trailer thus far, and the Andersen WDH is the only WDH I have ever used.

I checked out the Pro Pride 3P...I may have been a bit hasty when I stated money was not object...about $3000 with shipping and incidentals...

Also I don't think I have the room to mount such a beast on the Casita.

I will check out the Blue Ox and Equalizer.

Also the Pro Pride (PP) and Hensley allege to ELIMINATE sway, whereas all others seem only reduce sway.

I am not certain it is possible to back up with the PP without first un attaching something.
I think you can back with the Pro Pride and Hensley hitches. Maybe someone with one can chime in.

Also, you're right about their claims; they claim to eliminate sway. But whether that's actually true is a bit subjective. I was reading just yesterday over at the airstream forums that some people have towed a lot with their Hensley and Pro Prides and then tow without them and are left wondering what they big deal is. Some of those folks feel like maybe a less expensive option and some good ol' fashioned experience and caution are good enough.

Ah well, to each their own. If I found a good Pro Pride for less than half of new pricing I still might try it. Until then my Blue Ox is fantastic already.

Ken
khuffmanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:00 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
First, the incident didn't happen at Arches NP, but nearby on BLM land. Not trying to reduce the severity of the crime, I only desire to make sure that people have facts.

Second, I worked for six months in Idaho Falls, ID, for six months, and I would ask that people don't punish this guy's employees for what he did. Boycotting his company would do very little harm to him, but might cause one or more people to lose their job(s).

I have been using the Equal-I-Zer 4 point hitch and I'm happy with it. It's nearly silent when lubricated according to the owner's manual, and can be backed up without unhitching.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #9

An Anderson is pretty much a joke. Not really a WDH. Unless TW is low enough to not require one. Thus, an expensive anti-sway device. Sad, as many of hoped it would prove out.

The Hensley patent hitches have no peer. There is literally no comparison to the obsolete hitches. (Someone who calls one of those door stops“fantastic”, is some day in for an eye opening surprise).

FWIW, the Reese Dual Cam is still the best of those. I used one my first thirty years.

An Airstream is superior by design. Low Center of Gravity, fully independent suspension and, most importantly, fully aerodynamic design. Adverse winds don’t bother it as much.

As to those who can’t tell the difference between best and second rate hitches are likely those that Tow with straight axle 4WD pickups featuring Sector gear steering. Couldn’t feel anything with that vehicle. Not until it’s too late to matter. Worst tow vehicle imaginable. And most in need of a sway eliminating hitch.

Maybe they also believe 5ers are more stable?
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:45 AM   #10

It was indeed Corona Arch, which is on BLM land. This time. A passerby cautioned him but he continued to deface with his young family present. He was turned in by an acquaintance that recognized his photo when put online.

He was caught THIS time. The Andersen name appeared on the Frame Arch in Aches NP two years ago. It cannot be proven it was the same man, however likely it may seem.

https://s.abcnews.com/images/US/HT_N...9_12x5_992.jpg.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:57 AM   #11

It maybe that Andersen and other WDH hitches are not needed, but having pulled with and without I do feel a definite difference. I try to maintain 60 mph or less.

I had a blow out and it was not noticeable. I would say it worked well enough that I will continue to use a WDH.

I may not need a Propride or Hensley on a 17' trailer, but I will get one of the other WDH's with sway control after I do my due diligence.

I thank everyone for your suggestions and will investigate each one.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 AM   #12

The problem with the Andersen is it has a hard time transferring weight with heavy tongues. I used one with a 950 lb TW and a Ram 2500 CTD. I didn't need to transfer much weight since the front of the Ram barely raised up due to the Cummins.
It gave the best tow of all the hitches I tried. My TT was the worst towing TT I ever owned.
I would buy one for a light weight tongue TT and any tow vehicle but not for a heavy (700 lbs and up) tongue TT and a 1/2 ton truck.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:18 AM   #13

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I definitely will take your comments into consideration.

I need to look at these different hitches in person, maybe one will resonate with me more than the others.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I mentioned my viewpoint on another forum in this website.....there is no excuse for this type of ignorance. I recall some Boy Scout leaders knocking over an ancient boulder in Utah a couple years ago. Same mentality.

What bothers me and others is this guy is in the RV business. We learn to take care of places we visit, not deface them! Leave no trace.

My view, yours may vary.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote