RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #1

Anderson Levelers or Lynx Levelers?

New TT and trying to decide which leveling setup to order. Lynx seems to be very popular, and Anderson gets mentioned a lot, too. If I'm choosing one to start with, which is the vest setup?

If Lynx, how many 10 pack sets is adequate to level a 31' double axle TT?
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2016, 09:39 PM   #2

I started out with the Lynx blocks. I now use the Andersen levelers 95% of the time.

I still carry a couple sets of the Lynx they are handy for other things also.

I also carry a few pieces of lumber also. If you go camping in different locations you will use them all sooner or later that has been my experience.
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #3

A pair of Andersens used with a LevelMatePRO electronic level paired to your phone will save you loads of time. See the video over on The RVGeeks YouTube channel. Instantly know while in your tow vehicle which side needs help. Put the Andersens in place. Pull forward while watching the app and stop when level.
ghaynes754 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #4

We started with the Lynxs, then discovered the Andersen Levelers. The Andersen system is much faster and easier to use.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #5

My main worry with the Andersen levelers is that the chocks that go with them are plastic. In my experience, all plastic chocks slide a little under pressure and don't grip as well as rubber chocks. It doesn't seem like you can use rubber chocks in addition to the Andersen system, can you? I have 3 small kids, and stability is my main concern. Also, is there ever a time you've needed more lift than the Andersen could give you? Seems then, they would be rendered useless. They seem really convenient and easy to use, and I keep going back to them. Just want to make sure they are stable and useful in all situations.
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #6

Not sure if you searched on Andersen Levelers but this topic came up last month and had a balanced response from the forum. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/level...-315294-2.html

Based on the mix of private, state and federal parks that we visit, experience shows 99% of the time Andersen levelers or two sets of lynx blocks will level you in a very stable manner.

Also consider:
-Andersens will level height does max out based on the design. More lynx blocks can be added. THere is a state park near us that we absolutely love but the sites are extremely unlevel It takes me 4-5 sets of blocks to level...this is well beyond Andersen's capability. Clearly, this the 1% case but we really like the park so we made the investment.

-I normally carry 3 sets. What I don't use for leveling i divide up between the the stabilizer jacks. I find that the more extended the jacks are the less stable the trailer is. So my goal is to keep the jacks extended mid point or less. i achieve this by inserting lynx blocks under the jacks.

Bottom line for us, the lynx can handle any leveling issue we have faced in 6 yrs AND they have a dual purpose in adding stability to the corner jacks. A final perk of the plastic products is that they can be quickly cleaned and inspected for ants/spiders. I store the blocks in the trailer and don't want to bring in moisture, bugs, termites etc.

BTW, after recently purchasing an Andersen WDH, I am their latest fan boy. The design of the Andersen levelers is very innovative and will work in 99% of leveling situations. Perhaps I just live by the worst state park in the country ;-)
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #7

Like many previous posts, I use Andersen when the site allows. But I also have a good supply of the plastic leveling blocks, just in case. Love my Andersen!

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #8

Anderson Levelers or Lynx Levelers?

So far we have always been able to level perfectly with the Andersen Levelers. We do carry one set of the Lynx blocks, but I normally use them under the electric tongue jack. The Andersen Levelers have been very stable for us so far, but if I have a concern at a particular camp site I use a pair of Camco chocks on the opposite side tires for extra security. The only incident we have ever had leveling was when we were still using the Lynx blocks. We were setting up at the KOA campground right outside Devil's Tower. We put the Camco chocks in place after raising one side with the Lynx blocks. When I raised the tongue off the hitch ball the trailer pivoted off the Lynx blocks. Fortunately my feet were not in the way and no damage occurred. This was not a badly unlevel site either. I assume we had not squared the trailer tires on the Lynx blocks. I cannot see this ever happening with the Andersen Levelers, unless one pulls up to the max height on the Andersens a bit too far.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:46 AM   #9

Kinda warming up to the Andersons, small, plastic. lightweight, but have a little concern using them without an assistant to chock when you've reached level, especially on a site which site is sloped front-to-back as well as side-to-side. Boards will tolerate a little forward-aft movement, looks like with the Andersons forward-aft movement would be critical. The video on the Anderson site makes it look easy, but I've never encountered anyone actually using them. Anyone have a data point?
Old 12-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #10

Using them is as easy as their video shows. Once I pull onto them to level I lock my brakes and either my wife puts the red chocks in place or I put the truck's emergency brake on and do it myself. If I have further concerns about front to back movement I put a set of Camco chocks on the opposite side tires before I unhook. No worries.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberry32 View Post
My main worry with the Andersen levelers is that the chocks that go with them are plastic. In my experience, all plastic chocks slide a little under pressure and don't grip as well as rubber chocks. It doesn't seem like you can use rubber chocks in addition to the Andersen system, can you? I have 3 small kids, and stability is my main concern. Also, is there ever a time you've needed more lift than the Andersen could give you? Seems then, they would be rendered useless. They seem really convenient and easy to use, and I keep going back to them. Just want to make sure they are stable and useful in all situations.
I use Anderson, love them. I have not had any issues with the blocks sliding while the tires are applying pressure. But I also have wooden blocks for just in cases, haven't used them yet. But I am prepared.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #12

Once you have used the Anderson blocks you wouldn't go back to anything else.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #13

I have 2 sets of Lynx blocks. I use them all the time even if on a concrete pad for the jacks.

I also carry a shovel! Yes a shovel! If one side of where the wheels go is too low I throw some dirt in the area! To be clear I do not dig a hole in the high area.

I fully expect some post telling how wrong that is. But in truth I'm helping to level the site.

I also have a free 'bubble level' app for my smart phone. Just place it on the floor of your TT to see the level.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:46 PM   #14

Make sure they'll fit. They won't on my trailer. Tires are too close together. Wish I could use them. I currently use Lynx. They're fine most of the time. On softer pea gravel or dirt they sink. I have to use a 2x6 at that point.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
levelers