Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2019, 12:25 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Anode rod options

Hi everyone,

I just want to pic some brains and see where everyone stands. There seem to be two main types of anode rods:
1) magnesium
2) aluminum/zinc

I would disagree with using an aluminum one, but I’m also curious. Are there any other options besides metal? Either way you are adding metal to your water. Seems healthier not to use either, but what would be the alternative?
TT_TR250RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2019, 03:46 AM   #2

TT_TD250RS-

What are the make and model of the water heater?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #3

I never drink from the hot water line at home. I don't drink any water hot or cold from my RV. I don't think the anode has much effect on my health.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #4

I would definitely stick with magnesium.

The purpose of the anode is to sacrifice itself to galvanic corrosion instead of the lining of your hot water heater. It's not dissolving metal in to the water, it's absorbing ions and corroding. As it corrodes pieces will break off exposing fresh metal to continue the process. The actual process produces no harmful water soluble chemicals.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your body needs magnesium, and if it doesn't need the mag at the time you've ingested it, it pretty much doesn't absorb it. Too much mag gives you diarrhea. Mag is really safe unless a health problem prevents you from wanting to ingest more than you already are, and very few people would be drinking water from their water heater circuit anyways.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #6

Suburban is only brand that has Anode Rod OEM....steel tank that is glass-lined

OEM Anode Rod shipped with water heater is Magnesium because it provides the best overall protection
BUT magnesium can react with microbes in water supply and give off a sulfur smell

Hence the Optional Aluminum Anode Rod
It will not react with the microbes and stink
BUT it does not dissolve as quickly as magnesium
Also if using a water softener it will react more quickly
Hard deposits can form on aluminum rods making them difficult to remove
And a gel like substance can form in the bottom of tank (aluminum oxide)

Aftermarket anode rods for ATWOOD are available BUT are just to make you spend your RV monies
Atwood tanks are aluminum with a zinc cladding and do NOT use anode rods.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #7

there is an aftermarket one that has a valve on it so you can drain the heater for winter and not remove the rod make life easy
Nortons RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
But then you don't get to inspect your rod to see if it needs to be replaced. Better idea to remove the rod, leaves a larger hole for debris to be rinsed out from (if there is an anode rod there will be chunks metal that need to be rinsed out of the tank) and inspect it to see if it needs to be replaced so you can protect the heater.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So it seems that we can just summarize that the magnesium is the best bet and not to be concerned about a replacement of any kind until the time comes where replacement is required.
TT_TR250RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yup. I'm a full timer, and so far a two year replacement schedule has been working well with a little more than approximately 50% of the metal eroded away in that time. I flush the tank by attaching a hose to the trailer normally, removing the anode rod, and then turning on the hose and letting the normal filling action of the tank flush itself out. Some of the chunks need a little help to come out, but it works well and is simple enough.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Yup. I'm a full timer, and so far a two year replacement schedule has been working well with a little more than approximately 50% of the metal eroded away in that time. I flush the tank by attaching a hose to the trailer normally, removing the anode rod, and then turning on the hose and letting the normal filling action of the tank flush itself out. Some of the chunks need a little help to come out, but it works well and is simple enough.
I usually empty from full, (making sure there's no tank or line pressure, don't ask me) remove the anode and pull the pressure relief, and stand back, comes out quick..
Old 05-10-2019, 06:32 AM   #12

The sacrificial anode rod in your RV water heater is the little brother of the one in your home water heater. Most folks are not aware of, or just ignore the need to replace the home anode rod, which results in a shortened life of the water heater.
Are you also worried about the home water heater?
I am not familiar with the home on-demand water heaters.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote