Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

Another "Does Size Matter" question

In the market for a new trailer. I have a few wants/needs. I want to stay under 30 feet. The trailer I just sold was 27' with no slides. Looking at new "outdoors rv", I found some I like, but they're in the 31-32 foot range. Right now, I mostly dry camp/boon dock. But more and more of my friends are getting into rv'ing and buying huge units that only stay in rv parks/campgrounds. While I don't like staying in these places, I do enjoy spending time with my friends.

So I guess my question is how long is too long? Mostly west coast forest camping. I know my previous trailer was too long for a lot of coastal spots. Is 32' tongue to ladder gonna keep me out of a lot of national and state parks?

Another pet peeve is camp side slides. In thought and theory, I do not want them. I want that side of the trailer free to lay out my stuff. Tables chairs and all the things I haul with me. Keep it under the awning and in the shade. The camp side slide seems like this would greatly impede on this area. But, I've never actually had/used one. Is this a non issue? Am I putting too much thought into this? Do you have one? Would you get another unit with one?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 01:59 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I depends on how the awning is mounted. My fifth wheel has a camp side slide in the rear with an outdoor kitchen the awning is in front of it so it isn't an issue. My Motorhome the awning is mounted to the slide so it also isn't an issue. I agree though, putting a slide out under the patio awning is dumb. The older NP's I have been looking at are usually 35' and under for the rv only. They don't count the tow vehicle. I have no hands on experience there but it doesn't seem to me you will have an issue under 35'. I know when I had my 34' TT we never had any troubles.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have never had a problem out west here with any spot, national or state park.Only had to park the truck separate once. I do a lot of boondocking and the higher ground clearance of the ORV is crucial to getting in and out on pretty rough roads.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Got a Blackstone 250 RDS love it . Haven’t had any issues finding a place to park it. As for my truck I just pull it in front across the space or along the side. The slides are both on the drivers side so not a problem there.
pdxgwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #5

We have a 19 Foot Winnebago 1706FB which has no slides. We can fit it anywhere that a tent trailer can fit. You might find the bathroom small so perhaps 22 feet would do work. It's a joy pulling into a campsite and having the campground manager say "sure we have lots of sites for smaller trailers".
Glen 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #6

It’s all about balance, as there is always inconveniences that you’ll have to deal with. Is it a smaller trailer, or being able to fit in more parks, and more spaces within a park.
I didn’t want to go over 20’ but ended up at 23’ as we felt it was worth the trade off. But we find ourselves wanting to get more and more off the beaten path, and wish we would have stayed smaller.
For the majority of the heavily used state and national parks 30’ and under you’ll be just fine, but will have to plan months in advance to get a spot.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:57 PM   #7

I spent the day looking at what's available locally. Sheez, most of whats being built is pure garbage. Not impressed at all. The Timber Ridge and Black Stone 25/250 rear dinette is still at the top of the list. I'm just not happy with the added length. My wife's not happy with the prices.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Try to find a late model used if price is an issue. Big price drop on used and there are some Gems out there. Slides are a preference kind of thing, We have a slide that is on the driver side of the TT and so it is not an issue for us setting out all of our gear and we seem to have a great amount perhaps tooo much. LOL
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:16 AM   #9

I haven't had a slide under the awning but one of my HTTs had three bunks, one of which came out under the awning and it was a terrible waste of space. At the time I thought I would rather have that then a bunk off the back which would prevent me from backing all the way into a site and farther from the road. It was a trade-off; if I did it again, I would keep the awning side clear and be able to enjoy the full awning space.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #10

This might fit your needs. https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave.../21DS/893#Main

My neighbor has the 2016 version of this trailer and I have the 2018. They do a lot of dry camping and stay in National parks. He has told me that this length trailer is about the most you can use in many of the national forest here in Washington because things are so tight.
My wife is not a fan of dry camping so we are always in the "full hook-up" area.

John
jkinzel is offline   Reply With Quote