Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #1

Another fridge fan question (should be easy)

I am going to be installing a couple of fans inside the fridge (with a switch inside) and a couple of fans under the outside coils (with a thermostat and also a switch). I am using this as a model for my install. I understand how to run the positive wire through the drain hose and tie into a positive line somewhere behind the fridge. What I don't understand is step #2 in the installation section....tying the negative into the light inside the fridge. Do I attempt to find the negative line and connect those wires together? Sorry for such a simple question....I have found that I am happy to try to mod things on my own, but also know when it's best to ask the experts before I really screw something up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #2

I forgot to mention that my fridge is a Norcold Model # N611LT
Old 04-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #3
Dom

Assuming that you are dealing with 12V, you should be able to pick up ground (neg) any metal. Although I would not use cooling lines. Why not run both pos and neg down drain, then you have lots of grounded metal outside cabinet
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:50 AM   #4

Should I attach the negative wire to a piece of metal (there is a ground screw below the control panel with a few other wires attached) or do I run it right to the 12v power and attach it to the negative? I would think it would be a lot easier doing what you're talking about and just running both wires down the drain tube.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
Dom

Just run neg to ground screw by base of fridge
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 AM   #6

Don't do any of that. You can pop the grommet out that the thermistor wire runs thru. Itt's usually split. Simply add your wires to it and snap it back in. There may be some goober on the back for a seal. if it comes off just add more goober or a piece of silver metal foil tape. You only need one pair of wires going thru. If your adding more than one fan inside, just connect them together inside.

If it's not split, split one side of it and proceed. Connect them to where they need to go. You should see a red and black pair of wires going to a screw terminal on the back of the fridge, that the + and - source that you want. Easy.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, fridge