Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2021, 08:31 AM   #1

Another Hail Story

Our area got hammered last night. Actually, was fairly narrow path of hail. But, of course, my trailer was in that path.

Little surprised by the damage when I checked it out this morning. The first obvious damage was the cover over propane tank was damaged, as were many others. The hailstones cracked the covers, especially the flip up piece to access the tank valves, and then the wind blew the pieces around the lot.

Lot of dings in the top and the front roll of the trailer. The trailer was parked with less than 2 foot clearance on each side from other campers in the storage yard, but still managed to have dings in the driver side of the camper.

The skylight over tub seems fine, no evidence of water intrusion, and no windows broken. The TV antenna on top looked fine, and the could not see any damage to the AC unit, but will have to check that out when I can get trailer dragged over to power source.

I am curious as to how the insurance company will address this. Seems like paintless dent repair would be difficult, since the side wall damage appears to be in some of the corrugated sections.

This travel trailer is less than 6 months old, do the insurance companies deal with this sort of thing well, or do I need to grab my jousting gear to do battle?
carybosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2021, 09:39 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Our area got hammered last night. Actually, was fairly narrow path of hail. But, of course, my trailer was in that path.

Little surprised by the damage when I checked it out this morning. The first obvious damage was the cover over propane tank was damaged, as were many others. The hailstones cracked the covers, especially the flip up piece to access the tank valves, and then the wind blew the pieces around the lot.

Lot of dings in the top and the front roll of the trailer. The trailer was parked with less than 2 foot clearance on each side from other campers in the storage yard, but still managed to have dings in the driver side of the camper.

The skylight over tub seems fine, no evidence of water intrusion, and no windows broken. The TV antenna on top looked fine, and the could not see any damage to the AC unit, but will have to check that out when I can get trailer dragged over to power source.

I am curious as to how the insurance company will address this. Seems like paintless dent repair would be difficult, since the side wall damage appears to be in some of the corrugated sections.

This travel trailer is less than 6 months old, do the insurance companies deal with this sort of thing well, or do I need to grab my jousting gear to do battle?
It depends on the insurance company, I know of some friends that had hail damage and the insurance company had them get fixed. We had an awning destroyed by winds and hail in Goodyear in January. Progressive wanted pictures and asked who we wanted to do the repairs/replacement. They never sent an adjuster out to see the damage just went by the pictures.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:46 AM   #3

I agree with hamm about the insurance. But it isn't all the company as your policy is the key to what they will pay. You probably have a deductible of at least $500 and very possibly $1000 which means that amount comes from you before they pay anything. Higher deductibles mean lower premiums but they also mean less coverage. I suggest that you contact your insurance agent as soon as possible.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:04 AM   #4

Contacted my insurance agent, told him I need some time to check out trailer.

I will have to pull it to the house and hook up the AC, among other things, to check for damage. At that point, I can pull out the big ladder and inspect the roof better. When I checked it out yesterday while standing on the tailgate of my truck, it was still raining even. Hoping the rain will stop and sun come out Sunday to do this.

My deductible is $500.

When I looked into Paintless Dent Repair on my aluminum hood on my prior truck, they wanted over $1k to repair much less damage than my travel trailer has.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:16 PM   #5

Paintless dent repair on an RV is not possible in my opinion.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post
Paintless dent repair on an RV is not possible in my opinion.
I wondered. I know some of the surfaces would be next to impossible to fix. Others, maybe they could.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #7

For paintless repair you have to have access to the back side of the dent. So that would require removing side panels.
Jayco19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:25 PM   #8

What a nightmare.
I just missed baseball hail in Rapid City last July by 5 miles.
My motorhome was 4 months old. We got just pea sized.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:33 PM   #9

I'm thinking of taking shipping blankets (I have many) when we go to Hail Country to pull over the AC, TV, Maxx Fan, etc. Am seriously thinking of one of those Hail Protectors for the truck.

https://hailprotector.com/
Old 05-03-2021, 07:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco19 View Post
For paintless repair you have to have access to the back side of the dent. So that would require removing side panels.
I was not aware of that, seems like it would not be something that could be done on most vehicles even.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cyber71 View Post
What a nightmare.
I just missed baseball hail in Rapid City last July by 5 miles.
My motorhome was 4 months old. We got just pea sized.
Was there last summer in July. $26,000 damage to my truck. $12,000 to my 5th wheel
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #12

An update:

Just got quote on repairs to hail damage on my Forest River that I paid ~$24,500 for. Repairs are $25K. Looks like I am going to be in market for a new travel trailer.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
An update:

Just got quote on repairs to hail damage on my Forest River that I paid ~$24,500 for. Repairs are $25K. Looks like I am going to be in market for a new travel trailer.
That's truly unfortunate.. is that all appearance damage, or combination of AC/Skylights, Fans, etc?
Old 07-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #14

If it is just cosmetic damage and you can deal with how it looks maybe you should see what it will cost to buy it back. Sometimes Ins. Co. will be really ready to do business so they don't have to deal with it. Then in a couple of years you can upgrade when the bubble bursts.
Just a thought, not the right choice for everyone.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote