Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #1

Another New Guy Needing Advice Please!!!

As a brand new member with no TT yet, I’m try to decide if my thinking is rational. You guys are the long time experts so please chime in and give some advice. It will be very much appreciated.
I don’t know if the wife and I will enjoy camping or not when we both retire in the next couple of years. It is the two of us, all the kids have moved on with their lives. So as of now, the early stage of preparation for total retirement, I plan to explore the possibility of camping now as economically as possible. I own a 05 Chevy Silverado V 6. The GCWR is 9500 lbs. I do not want to invest in a big old TV and may not pursue the hobby. So I’m thinking of buying a small TT ultra-light at around 2900 lbs that max out loaded at 3850. The GVWR of the truck is 6200 lbs. My owner’s manual says the heaviest trailer the vehicle can tow safely is 4600 lbs.
I’m on vacation next week and headed out on the search. Are my expectations within reason as far as the size trailer my vehicle can handle? I’m sure a salesman would say yes. I really don’t want to upgrade TV because if I end up not towing then I’m stuck with a vehicle I won’t need. I think I’d rather be stuck with a smaller TT than a big truck.
All ideas, suggestions, criticisms, and so forth are appreciated.
Retiredcop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can go with a pop up, a hybrid or a Casita. All of which have models that can be towed with your limited present vehicle.

To get a better idea, try renting a pop up and give it a try. If this works for you, look for a used trailer in your size range.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You could go with a 18 footer and still be safe there are some olders units that are at a good price and not too big. Just look it over good, look and smell for any water damage it's hot during the day and if it's had water damage you will know it.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #4

Try renting one first to see if you like it may cost a little bit but cheaper then buying something and hate camping.
Johnfrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #5

Thanks for all the great advice!! I tried the pop up thing a few years ago and it was a very bad experience. I went out at the wrong time of the year, February. We decided right away we would not give up but knew the next trip would have to be a hard shell.

Although a good idea, I really want to buy new. If I bought used I know most of the stuff I would have to change, especially the mattress. I was thinking something along the lines of a Funfinder 189FBS or Palomino Canyon Cat 15UD.

Keep the advice coming, I really appreciate it.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnfrob View Post
Try renting one first to see if you like it may cost a little bit but cheaper then buying something and hate camping.
+1. You really sound like you’re on the fence. Renting what you are thinking of buying does several things.

1. You can decide if your TV is suitable for the rig.
2. You can decide if you are suitable for camping in the size rig your TV can tow.
3. You can decide if camping in a trailer is for you.
4. You won't have a brand new/now used camper that you will lose probably 30% on a resale.
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishaPalooza View Post
+1. You really sound like you’re on the fence. Renting what you are thinking of buying does several things.

1. You can decide if your TV is suitable for the rig.
2. You can decide if you are suitable for camping in the size rig your TV can tow.
3. You can decide if camping in a trailer is for you.
4. You won't have a brand new/now used camper that you will lose probably 30% on a resale.
+1
if the matress is an issue buy a cheap shower curtian and matress pad forthe time being and if you decide to keep the unit buy a new matress.
If RVing turns out to be your thing your first rig WON'T be your last and you can take your time to figure out what you want and use your savings on the new rig. Our first two were used and since we've bought two more new thinking each one would be the one. The one we have now is way more than we thought we would ever have and I start drooling when I see nicer rigs.
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #8

Great advice, you are probably right. I should try used for a bit and see what happens. My big concern is the possibilty of getting something that turns into a lot of frustration and influence the whole experience.

I've never bought anything used other than motorcycles. Never had an issue with one of those because most people don't get rid of them because something is wrong with it, they just don't ride any more.

Are used TTs pretty much the same? What are the chances of getting a total lemon? I would imagine one of the most expensive repairs would be the AC unit.

Thoughts on this please!!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:23 AM   #9

Make the seller show how everything works
look for and signs of water damage
look at lots of trailers, even new ones ( to see what is available)
bring a notebook and take notes
if an individual or salesman says its fine without showing everything walk away
even new units have problems so a well cared for used one is a great deal. when you find one you like post as much info about it here so you can get some feedback. if you are paying cash check with your bank to see what the value is. personaly I wouldn't pay much more than the loan value as it is a buyers market. If a salesman says its a now or never deal start walking. If a salesman says or promises something get it in writing. if he hesitates to do that he is lying. Oh by the way don't trust what the salesman tells you
Do you get the feeling I don't trust salesmen?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #10

What about renting one 1st , trying it out over a week or weekend ?
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #11

To all of you, great advice. You guys made me slow down a bit. I was going to rush out this week and purchase a new one. Now I really have a lot of information to process.

Some say rent one first, not a bad idea. That may be the route to go at first if I can find one in the area or not too far away within my weight range.

A used one is also something to think about. Sanitary and appliance conditions are a concern but those can easily be fixed with the xception of a major appliance repair.

I will definitely slow down and consider all of your suggestions. Thanks a lot and when I decide what I'm going to do I'll post back.

Mike
Old 07-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #12

New Horizons Owners Club
In 2004 we were in the exact same position you are now. We chose a 17 foot Casita, and we had a topper installed on our truck.

We had a platform welded over the propane tanks and installed a 2000 watt Honda generator on the Trailer.

This little trailer is a full fledged self contained travel trailer. It has 25 gallons of fresh water, 30 gallons gray water and 16 gallons of black water capacity. It has a small roof top a/c and a refrigerator, sink, and a wet bath. The little Honda generator would run the A/C unit.

We towed it using a 600 pound weight distributing hitch, and between the room available in the topper and trailer were able to travel in reasonable comfort. We used the trailer for 4 years and gave it to our daughter's family.

We enjoyed the lifestyle so much that we bought a really nice 29 foot New Horizon trailer and have continued to enjoy full timing.

We have some grand memories in our little Casota. We toured Alaska and Northwest Canada all the way to Inuvik, NWT 350 miles north of the Arctic Cricle including a couple of thousand miles of gravel roads (Never again). We used the generator quite a lot camping on the side of the road in far north Canada and Alaska.

Here are both rigs parked side by side.

chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
A couple of advantages of buying used is that someone else has tested and corrected all the manufacturing defects for you, assuming they work at your initial inspection. Also, you aren't paying new unit price, you are paying used price. Unfortunately, the quality control and inspection at the factory or dealership is not always that thorough, a pre-owned unit should have the bugs worked out of it.

The savings in buying used can fix a lot of things down the road. The refrigerator and A/C are the big ticket items, make sure they work before you buy.

If you are not sure you'll like the lifestyle, I would suggest a rental unit for a trial run before buying anything, new or used.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #14

One more thing!
As long as there are no serious injuries and no one went to jail you had a successful trip; Maybe not as fun as it could have been but successful just the same. I'll never forget the time I got the trailer ball hooked under a gaurd rail turning the old Travco around to go around an accident one night. I figured the ball would snap off but noooo! I pulled up 75' of gaurd rail in front of 2 Alabama deputies!
Then there is the rest of the story!