Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 06:34 AM   #1

Antenna Hookup Info

I just purchased my first RV and have my first question (of many!). The picture shows a hook up for an antenna and what looks like a 12v receptacle. Also an on/off switch. What is the receptacle for? There is an antenna on the roof and also a hook up for cable/antenna in the rear of the unit on the outside. If I hook up a tv will it automatically be using the antenna on the roof? Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180113_171430_p.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	188650
realjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #2

Congrats on the new purchase, and welcome to the forums. You can always get some great info on here. That switch you are showing is the on/off switch for the antenna booster. When watching TV with the roof antenna, turn this on for improved reception. When watching CABLE TV, make sure the booster is off, or you will get a lot of interference on the cable channels. I'm assuming this is in the bedroom where there is an area for a 2nd TV to be mounted? That's the norm. The outside hookups are for you to hook up to the cable from the campground with coax cable or, if you choose to carry your own satellite dish, you hook up out there. Hope this helps, happy camping!!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
Congrats on the new purchase, and welcome to the forums. You can always get some great info on here. That switch you are showing is the on/off switch for the antenna booster. When watching TV with the roof antenna, turn this on for improved reception. When watching CABLE TV, make sure the booster is off, or you will get a lot of interference on the cable channels. I'm assuming this is in the bedroom where there is an area for a 2nd TV to be mounted? That's the norm. The outside hookups are for you to hook up to the cable from the campground with coax cable or, if you choose to carry your own satellite dish, you hook up out there. Hope this helps, happy camping!!
Thanks for the quick reply. I hooked it up, did a scan and even got some Tampa stations which I was surprised. I believe the antenna is what is called a "Batwing". Is it directional? I don't see a way to turn it.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by realjet View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I hooked it up, did a scan and even got some Tampa stations which I was surprised. I believe the antenna is what is called a "Batwing". Is it directional? I don't see a way to turn it.
Here's a pic of the antenna.Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180114_125453_1_p.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	188685
Old 01-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, that’s a Winegard “Batwing”. I don’t see a add on called a “Wingman” in your picture. It’s for increasing FM signals on your Batwing which all TV channels are broadcast in since everything went digital several years ago. If your TV is “flat”, it’s digital. You can buy the Wingman add on for under $50.00, sometimes under $20.00 on eBay or Amazon.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There should be a “turning” knob inside your RV on the ceiling. The crank raises & lowers the antenna, the large knurled wheel rotates the antenna for best reception. Word of advice & caution: Never forget to put your antenna in “store position” & lower it! If you don’t, you’ll regret it.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Old 01-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by realjet View Post
If it's what I'm thinking, you have a crank to raise it?? If so, there should be a round "dial" handle under the crank. You pull down on the round dial and rotate it (which turns the antenna up top) for better coverage. But when you get ready to lower the antenna, you have to rotate it back to its original position to crank it down. There should be an arrow on the dial indicating which way the antenna is facing so you can turn it back to a correct position to lower it.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
If it's what I'm thinking, you have a crank to raise it?? If so, there should be a round "dial" handle under the crank. You pull down on the round dial and rotate it (which turns the antenna up top) for better coverage. But when you get ready to lower the antenna, you have to rotate it back to its original position to crank it down. There should be an arrow on the dial indicating which way the antenna is facing so you can turn it back to a correct position to lower it.
I pulled down on the dial but couldn't get it to turn. It's possible that whoever put the roof coating on may have sealed it. I'll have to get a closer look.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it won’t turn or is hard to turn or hard to raise & lower, it may need a grease job. Might need to take it apart while you’re on the roof & inspect it for broken or worn parts & put some lithium grease on the gears & anything else that is supposed to move. Had someone do this for mine several years ago on a previous motorhome. It was amazing how easily it raised, lowered & rotated afterwards. If there are broken or worn parts, I think that replacements can be ordered from Winegard. You may wish to check on eBay for repair kits. Good luck & hope you get it fixed & working. The Batwing is one if the best & most reliable OTA antennas on the market for RVs.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
If it won’t turn or is hard to turn or hard to raise & lower, it may need a grease job. Might need to take it apart while you’re on the roof & inspect it for broken or worn parts & put some lithium grease on the gears & anything else that is supposed to move. Had someone do this for mine several years ago on a previous motorhome. It was amazing how easily it raised, lowered & rotated afterwards. If there are broken or worn parts, I think that replacements can be ordered from Winegard. You may wish to check on eBay for repair kits. Good luck & hope you get it fixed & working. The Batwing is one if the best & most reliable OTA antennas on the market for RVs.
Thanks, I'll have to check it out. I'm looking into putting it on a campground lot permanent in North Georgia in the mountains. I may have to put up a good outdoor antenna a large pole. If I do would I just hook up the antenna to the connection on the outside of the unit?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #11

KZ RV Club
The antenna has to be up to turn the circle to aim, move the crank handle to raise/lower.

There is another step, once hooked to cable or OTA (over the air) you will need to turn the booster on/off as posted above. Then go into the TV menu and in settings find the cable/OTA setting - set appropriately. Last step there will also be a channel scan in the menu - do the scan and enjoy.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Yes, that’s a Winegard “Batwing”. I don’t see a add on called a “Wingman” in your picture. It’s for increasing FM signals on your Batwing which all TV channels are broadcast in since everything went digital several years ago. If your TV is “flat”, it’s digital. You can buy the Wingman add on for under $50.00, sometimes under $20.00 on eBay or Amazon.
Nope, no "FM" TV signals.

TV signals are now digital instead of analog.

Just like in the old days TV stations broadcast in both the VHF and UHF spectrum. The "Wingman" add-on was pushed during the digital transition to help increase digital reception but it really just helped the UHF channels, and not very much. Most new RVs receive all the VHF and UHF channels fine with the stock antenna.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post

Just like in the old days TV stations broadcast in both the VHF and UHF spectrum. The "Wingman" add-on was pushed during the digital transition to help increase digital reception but it really just helped the UHF channels, and not very much. Most new RVs receive all the VHF and UHF channels fine with the stock antenna.
Most stations now broadcast in the UHF range, the Wingman will provide more gain in that range, it is a useful device.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post

Typed FM instead of UHF. Knew better! Sorry ‘bout that!

Tags
antenna