Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #15

F4Gary is right with the Terro Liquid Ant Bait...this stuff works & does it fast..I carry a six pack in my coach at all times just in case.
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2021, 08:17 AM   #16

Thee is also the possibility that an ant nest was established somewhere in the wood framing of your motorhome before the rental and the recent travel activity and vehicle movement stirred up the nest and allowed you to find them in the water tank area. You may not have seen ant activity until now because you weren't looking. Just a thought...
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:18 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Raid Fumigators are the best I've found for critters. It's a dry smoke that's released so there's no residue to settle on counters, etc. Perfectly safe for pets and people after the area clears and there's very little odor. I use two inside the motor home and one in the basement.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
I rarely sprayed, and prefer bait because spraying only kills the ants you see - bait kills the colony. Terro brand baits are ok, and are the most common household baits you see in stores. You may have to try a couple different bait type to see what they'll take. Depending on the ant species and it's nest cycle, some prefer sugars and others protein. The bait I used that worked best for me was Combat MAX Ant killing gel in a plastic syringe. It comes in a clear gel that sugar based, and a tan gel that was peanut butter based. Only about 5% of the ants I encountered would take the peanut butter gel. Some ants prefer granular baits with a corn base.
Great input! I've always had great success with Terro for "sugar ants" ... my other go-to product for ants around the house/yard is Amdro Ant Block.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/AMDRO-Ant-B...ler/1000044709

Now the disclaimer: My experience is around the house/yard. I have a 3 acre home base in Florida. Carpenter ants, fire ants, tiny ants, and more ants. I keep a jug of Amdro on my mower. When I'm mowing and come across a large mound, I'll sprinkle a little of this stuff on it. In a few days, the mound is dead. This stuff works!

That said, these are granules meant to be sprinkled in a yard. You certainly don't want to just sprinkle them throughout your camper. You could sprinkle them on the ground around/under it though (maybe around the tires/stabilizers/jack). If you do want to use them inside, you could either make a few small discrete piles or contain them in some way for easy cleanup once the battle is won!

Good luck. Just wanted to offer my testimony to how well Amdro works.
LikeNo1Else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:31 AM   #19

Just to be clear, I am 99% sure there is no nest in my yard that the ants are staging from. My camper is actually parked on my driveway. I am sure I picked these bastards up at the camp ground and am hoping without their colony and queen, it is just a matter of time before they die off or take the Terro bait or get squashed as I see them.
esox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:33 AM   #20

I had ants. Large black ants in my TT. I could not figure out where they were coming from. Ended up tenting my trailer the same time I tented my house. They were living in the bathroom door. The door had a small vent hole at each end less than .1x.1 in size. After fumigation there was a pile under the door. I seal the vents and have not had another ant. It was a nightmare getting rid of them before that.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:57 AM   #21

Since you might be able to tell what kind of ants, compare what you have to pics of carpenter ants and Argentine ants.

If Argentine, there are only a few ant poisons that work on them.
Lots of different carpenter ant poisons.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:49 PM   #22

Last two times in my camper over the last few days I have seen no ant activity. A few more dead ones here and there but nothing moving. Those Terro ant baits clearly worked on mine as there were several dead ones around mine and I saw a few in the process of dying. One was even inside the bait feeder dead.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. I feel the problem is fully resolved at this point.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:18 AM   #23

When we see any sign of ants around the rig I use comet on the ground to prevent them getting in the rig.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:21 PM   #24

I once had a terrible infestation in my motor home. They were literally eating my motor home. I tried everything! In the end, it was the Terro baits that eventually did the trick.....
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:55 PM   #25

Yep, my initial spray with the ant killer got most of them, but after 4 or 5 days of the Terro, I have no more ants at all.