Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2020, 10:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO LONG View Post
Thank for the reply. How do you like your HQ15? What do you not like. Is she tough as she looks? I am looking at Black Series Lance and Airstream. How would you compare the 3
We love the 15, it has exceeded our expectations so far. The trade off is size and weight for the ability to pull it back where other trailers can’t routinely go. We ended up at the 15 from the opposite direction than most on this site, likely. I was looking at conquerors and patriots, trailers that could get back to the same type of places I liked to go jeeping. We saw the BS while going to look at an off grid tear (square?) drop and the wife fell in love with the interior and comfort relative to what I had been targeting. In the end, we decided we could still get the trailer back in to 80-90% of the places we would want to camp with a massive upgrade in comfort.

Now coming at it from the air stream, upscale travel trailer direction, you would probably feel you are losing space and comfort in exchange for more rugged off-road ability. If the Lance and Airstream can reliably get back to the areas you are going, you will probably find them more spacious and/or comfortable. If you are just doing the occasional forest service road to a state park or dispersed area, you will probably be fine. I would not be comfortable pulling those trailers over rugged terrain on a regular basis, but most people do not really intend to use their trailer in that manner. If you do, then the Black Series makes sense. Yes, the frame and suspension are strong. I am confident it can survive wherever my truck can pull it. While I am capable of making repairs and carry tools/supplies to do so, I’d prefer my trailer not to need them on a regular basis.
Phaselag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2020, 09:37 AM   #16

Thanks for the run down. Was hoping to get to see some at a show but with the 19 I dont know if I want to go to any shows
TOO LONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO LONG View Post
Thanks for the run down. Was hoping to get to see some at a show but with the 19 I dont know if I want to go to any shows
High chance I’m moving to the Ky area this summer, so if you still haven’t found anything hit me up around July and we can probably link up somewhere in between. (this is based on your NC profile location)
Old 12-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #18

Hey, Cumminsfan: I don't know where you got the "Made in China" reference to Black Series travel trailers, but all online info points to BS being an Australian manufacturer. Several well-built off road travel trailer manufacturers are in Australia; unfortunately, Black Series is just one of only a couple that have U.S. distribution to date. Wish Kedron were available in the U.S., because they are AWESOME quality travel trailers that are built for "outback" travel.
rgkroeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:10 AM   #19

The frames for the Black Series are made in China. The rest of the camper is not. I've been doing a lot of research into their products. They seem much more reliable than the typical Elkhart, Indiana stapled together garbage. The biggest issues I've seen are delamination of some of the veneers. They're supposedly working on an improved adhesive. That's nothing compared with the kind of things that typically go wrong with the Indiana built stuff.
TheLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #20

They're Aussie designed and assembled here.
Why not call a dealer. I talked to a BS rep about 3-4 years ago at my local RV show. He told me that it was assembled here and some parts were made in China. I don't remember the specifics, except that it's not wholly USA made.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #21

If you were to take any US made trailer down the same trails at higher speeds that many do with their BS, and you would probably have a pile of debris inside afterwards.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
If you were to take any US made trailer down the same trails at higher speeds that many do with their BS, and you would probably have a pile of debris inside afterwards.
Like this?

Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

Lol, yea that pretty much sums it up.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:40 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
LOL, I miss those guys.. not the same show anymore.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:41 PM   #25

Lol, that’s hilarious. Hope he’s got some duct tape ����
Old 03-05-2021, 04:22 PM   #26

I recently learned about the Black Series...interesting. The HQ21 appeals to me, though the price tag is double what similar sized (but less capable) trailers cost. I always go for quality and the Black Series has possibilities.
LeoC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoC4 View Post
I recently learned about the Black Series...interesting. The HQ21 appeals to me, though the price tag is double what similar sized (but less capable) trailers cost. I always go for quality and the Black Series has possibilities.
Good thread. I am very interested in more owner impressions.
dasadab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:38 PM   #28

Was in an RV park outside Death Valley in October next to a guy with a HQ17. He's had it about 15 months and he's almost been full timing and doing a lot of rough boondocking. He loves it to death. Didn't have one bad thing to say. My main beefs are much of it is made in China and 50 gallons of fresh is kind of lite for two IMHO. They could also do with more LP but then hauling a couple extra 20 pounders along isn't the end of the world. If they're built as well as they look then I could overcome my reluctance to buy chinese.

BTW, there's a website posing as Black Series so BE CAREFUL!