Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #1

Any Black Series owners out there???

Nice quality rugged TT from what I can tell from online walkthrough. Any owners with first hand experience. There are some reviews on youtube but they are on the day of delivery. WOuld like to hear from owners who had them a year or so. Thanks
TOO LONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #2

Anybody here know anybody that has a Black Series TT?
Old 10-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #3

Any Black Series owners out there???

Sorry, but following this forum for three years now, and don’t recall any owners with Black Series.
Believe they have a pretty narrow market. I’ve taken a look at them from a dealer SLC. Seem to be well built.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:31 AM   #4

Well at least I know that someone has heard about them. They do look like they are well built. Looks like they could stand up to some abuse. I was wondering if anyone really knew how well they hold up.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:22 AM   #5

I walked through one at an RV show a couple years back. Parts made in China. Assembled in the U.S.
Overall they looked okay. Not comparing styles as the Black had slab front cabinets compared to traditional looking cabinets you see in most all US built RV's, but looking at fit and finish I wasn't blown away so IMO on par with US made RV's.
One thing that did set it apart was the frame and suspension. Nothing in the US compares. We're still in the covered wagon days compared to the Aussie style suspension.
Lots of nice features that you don't see in US made trailers.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #6

Owner

Hey Too Long,

I have an HQ15. What questions can I answer for you?
Phaselag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:04 PM   #7

Phaselag, I am looking forward to this discussion -- I will be in the market for a small rugged trailer in the next couple of years. I hope Too Long comes back and participates!!
Old 12-10-2020, 08:15 PM   #8

I've been interested in the Black Series trailers for some time now.

I have two issues with them however:

1) Quality control seems to be somewhat of a problem. For example many owners have complained about cracking veneer in their units.

2) We have 3 kids. I know the HQ17 has bunk beds and a dining table (small) that can be converted to a bed. But it's still very tight in that trailer. And the combination toilet shower thing is pretty tight.

I asked RVs of America about the HQ17T/HQ22T toy hauler versions. They stated they didn't carry them because supposedly "they don't tow well". I have no idea why, and towing for me is not an issue as I have a dually.

The HQ22T has quad bunk beds which would be great, but it has a tiny compact fridge in the inside living area, no kitchen sink AFAIK, and a tiny stove. The outdoor kitchen is nice of course, but no one wants to cook outside when it's raining or snowing!

I keep hoping they'll release a new model that is a little roomier with a separate shower and toilet room like on the HQ19, and has the room to easily sleep 3 kids!
TheLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:49 PM   #9

I haven’t had any fit/finish issues and pull my 15 through some pretty rough terrain in Colorado and Utah. Of course my trailer is a data point of one and I don’t know anyone else that has one to compare experiences.

I’m not familiar with the toy hauler versions, but agree the wet bath on the 17 is a weak point compared to the 19/21. If ROA doesn’t carry them, have you talked to the guys in LA? If it doesn’t have the full indoor kitchen like the non T versions, that would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:10 PM   #10

I found a video of the 22t. That trailer has less living space than my 15, probably less than the 12. I’d bet ROA isn’t carrying them due to concerns over customer satisfaction. You’re right, I didn’t see a sink apart from the wet bath. Since the bath adjoins the kitchenette, it appears they assume you will use that sink?

I think family capacity is Black Series weak point, the 15, 19, 21 are really set up for a couple. We’ve had folks about 5’5” and under sleep on our dinette and the bigger trailers have more room, but still wouldn’t want to stay there at 6’+.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaselag View Post
I found a video of the 22t. That trailer has less living space than my 15, probably less than the 12. I’d bet ROA isn’t carrying them due to concerns over customer satisfaction. You’re right, I didn’t see a sink apart from the wet bath. Since the bath adjoins the kitchenette, it appears they assume you will use that sink?

I think family capacity is Black Series weak point, the 15, 19, 21 are really set up for a couple. We’ve had folks about 5’5” and under sleep on our dinette and the bigger trailers have more room, but still wouldn’t want to stay there at 6’+.
Yeah, not having a full kitchen inside the living space is a no go for us. And the living space is definitely another concern. Interestingly if you watch that walkthrough of the HQ22T, the narrator says that because the heater is actually in the toy hauler compartment, you have to leave the door open between the main living quarters and the rear compartment otherwise you'd get no heat in the main living quarters! I guess because the BS is so small, they didn't consider a ducted HVAC system.

The only trailer that would work for us is the HQ17, but as I stated, the combination shower/toilet room is a tough one. If only the toilet were it a separate room, we could install a composting toilet and use that black tank for more gray water.

It's too bad we don't get more of the Australian off-road travel trailers here in the US. The American trailers just aren't built to go off-road.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #12

I believe I saw someone was importing Lotus Caravans to the US now. If so, they have a quad bunk and several triple bunk models available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C128F9A9-AAB6-46F3-9170-9D3493A39D5C.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	311025  
Old 12-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Hey Too Long,

I have an HQ15. What questions can I answer for you?
Thank for the reply. How do you like your HQ15? What do you not like. Is she tough as she looks? I am looking at Black Series Lance and Airstream. How would you compare the 3
Old 12-12-2020, 01:57 PM   #14

Quote:
I believe I saw someone was importing Lotus Caravans to the US now. If so, they have a quad bunk and several triple bunk models available.
Wow, that looks perfect for us. But I can't find any Lotus Caravan dealers in the United States.