Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #1

Any brands to stay away from???

Currently have a Keystone Passport(bought new 2015) - and like it - no problems, but first RV. Looking to do some cross country, but would still require a lite. Any brands to rave about or rant about??? What about coverage on warranty if/when traveling? Has anyone bought a newer model, used? Depreciation?
melrned is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #2

Welcome,

that is a LOADED question.!

ALL, None, any. I personally will never own another 'LITE" trailer.

Depreciation, 50 percent after a year or 2... Common.
few offer good warranty other than the sale-ing dealer.

over 70 percent of all Brands are owned by 3 companies... look it up.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #3

We are first time RVers with a '17 Passport 2520RL. So far we love it! I needed a lite because of my Sierra 1500. We plan on holding onto it at least five years and then evaluate options.
BeagleDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #4

Take a look at Grand Designs Imagine lineup.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #5

Comparing "lite" trailers to I guess "heavy" trailers (is that even a category?) is like comparing a Toyota Corolla to a Toyota Avalon.
Yes the Avalon may feel more sturdy due to its additional weight and structure, it even feels like it's nicer quality because of the higher grade fixtures in the car. However at the end of the day the Corolla and Avalon underneath are both made out of the same materials, perform the same job, and given equal maintenance will likely provide same longevity (not that I'm saying trailers will last as long a Toyota ;-) ).
Some manufacturers arguably provide a little higher quality product (Northwoods and Lance to name a couple) but you will pay for that difference in quality.
Airstreams are the only trailer to escape the very steep depreciation schedule, but Airstream money buys a very nice used class A.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:08 AM   #6

What you buy is dependent on several factors. Budget, tow vehicle specifications and floorplan.

All RV's have some issues because everything inside the RV is manufactured by others not the RV manufacturer. They manufacturer the shell and in a few cases the frame, but everything else is supplied by others.

High end trailer is Airstream #1
Mid range trailer is Evergreen and Northwood #1 & 2
Economy range is Forest River Products, Thor and others.

Regardless of manufacturer you will hear good and bad on every manufacturer.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #7

Evergreen, RIP.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 07:22 AM   #8

I have a 2016 Evergreen I-GO. It's lightweight and a very nice unit. It was unfortunate to hear they folded, but, if you can get through the first year, it's the same as any other trailer. You might find a really good deal on one also.
dano 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:39 AM   #9

Passport 2520

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleDad View Post
We are first time RVers with a '17 Passport 2520RL. So far we love it! I needed a lite because of my Sierra 1500. We plan on holding onto it at least five years and then evaluate options.
Own a 2018 Passport 2520 and could not be happier. Did have a window seal leak which was fixed under warranty. At the 19-22k price range I am buying a chevy model of rv’s. Don't expect perfection like airstream at these price points.

I would buy another passport again
Precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
IC2

Planning X country trip would push my choices away from the 'Lite'/'Ultra-lite' lines and into the 'standard' offerings. The roads in the US just aren't that good

As far as brands - you really have two choices - Forest River or one of the Thor brands. Yes, there are still a few independents and most make a good unit but then you have to consider availability of service if needed many miles from the closest distributor.

Find something you like then see if there is a dedicated forum and ask questions. iRV2 is a great site but brand name answers sometimes aren't unbiased
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #11

Just don't buy one that rolled off the assembly line on a Monday or a Friday and you'll be fine.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #12

Quality Travel Trailer Brands

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/best-...-443427-2.html
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #13

Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post

The Oliver trailers are a sharp find. Never seen them before.
Precab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precab View Post
The Oliver trailers are a sharp find. Never seen them before.
I like the construction of the Oliver but I wish they would make a larger model with a bathroom that was actually usable. Way to cramped for longer term use. I think the quality is better than Airstream. Plus you won’t suffer from metallosis like newer models will.
Pay extra for quality.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote