Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2021, 03:45 PM   #1

Any issues traveling with full water heater tank?

I will be visiting a campsite with only electric hook up and wanted to fill the 6 gal water heater tank up at home using the city water connection. My thoughts were not pull any water from my 32 gal fresh water tank after filling at the campground and also preventing the water pump from overheating filling the WH tank. The tank is located in the rear of my rig. I don't think I'll be experiencing any towing issues but was wondering if I am missing something.

thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2021, 04:01 PM   #2

Nope - none. Lots of people travel with the hot water tank full. I unwiterize my trailer and my 1st camping trip I fill the hot water tank. Then it stays full until I winterize the trailer in early November when it is drained.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #3

So that is roughly 50 lbs of water, and shouldn’t have no bearing on towing, unless you are already low on tongue weight. Obviously, being in the rear it will slightly reduce tongue weight.

We also fill ours up in the spring, and empty in the fall. But we use ours at least every two weeks. If your going a month without use then I would drain it.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:32 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
No problem at all. Why would you be worried about your fresh tank pump overheating filling just a 6gal tank from your fresh tank? A pump won't overheat pumping just 6 gallons. Heck, I've used WAY more than that taking a shower using my fresh tank/pump.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:57 PM   #5

Actually, carrying a full WH tank can be a preventative should you ever forget to turn OFF the electric element before hooking up to electricity. Doing so with an empty tank will burn out the element in short order.

This is, of course, if you have a WH that uses 110vac. as well as gas.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Actually, carrying a full WH tank can be a preventative should you ever forget to turn OFF the electric element before hooking up to electricity. Doing so with an empty tank will burn out the element in short order.

This is, of course, if you have a WH that uses 110vac. as well as gas.
It sure will, don't ask how I know.[emoji19]
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Nope - none. Lots of people travel with the hot water tank full. I unwiterize my trailer and my 1st camping trip I fill the hot water tank. Then it stays full until I winterize the trailer in early November when it is drained.
I do the same, fill on the first trip, drain on the last.
Bulletstoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:29 PM   #8

I fill fresh water tank, water heater and charge all plumbing lines (hot/cold) before travel

Been doing that since the late 70's.

Nothing worst then to get to destination and find out they have water issues........bad water, broken system etc
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:14 AM   #9

This is a great forum for information. It great to hear from experts.

Thanks to all.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:37 AM   #10

I de-winterize. Fill water tank. That includes water heater. Leave full till I winterize in fall. If you fill some water into your holding tank. You will not overheat your water pump.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #11

"My thoughts were not pull any water from my 32 gal fresh water tank after filling at the campground and also preventing the water pump from overheating filling the WH tank. The tank is located in the rear of my rig. I don't think I'll be experiencing any towing issues but was wondering if I am missing something.

thanks[/QUOTE]

I fill my water heater at home using a lawn faucet connected to my TT "city water" fitting. It is part of my routine de-winterizing.

I flush the pump line with a sort run then connect to the city water to flush anti-freeze out and fill water heater.

(maybe this was not your question)
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:17 PM   #12

Once my TT is out of hibernation the HW tank is never empty. Once you hook up to water it fills. It will stay full until you drain it or turn off all supplies to it and run a faucet.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:16 PM   #13

whops, was I supposed to do something with my water heater tank?
I hook up water. It gets hot. I unhook water and drive away. Is there something I'm missing?
Old 05-11-2021, 05:17 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
NO, but power off when traveling

No Problem whatsoever, BUT i suggest that you turn off the circuit breaker when you are traveling on the road, once you stop for the night, turn it on along with fresh water pump to insure the tank is full of water, never leave circuit breaker or any electric or propane flame on water heater unless it is full of water.
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, tank, travel, water, water heater