Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2021, 08:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Nope - none. Lots of people travel with the hot water tank full. I unwiterize my trailer and my 1st camping trip I fill the hot water tank. Then it stays full until I winterize the trailer in early November when it is drained.
Reminder for newbies... Remember to drain AND turn the bypass back on when you winterize or you will be putting anti-freeze into your hot water heater...and wondering why it only took a gallon and a hall last year and I'm already over three now... OH $%#@. Then next spring getting to cuss again as you try to get it all out of your hot water heater...

Don't ask me how I know this...
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2021, 08:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I fill fresh water tank, water heater and charge all plumbing lines (hot/cold) before travel

Been doing that since the late 70's.

Nothing worst then to get to destination and find out they have water issues........bad water, broken system etc
I only fill the fresh water and its 450 lbs of weight IF I know there is NO potable water where I am going... If I can find potable water closer to where I'm camping I'll get that also... Google is your friend...
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:04 AM   #17

The only time my water heater has been empty in 70,000 miles has been when I clean it. We don't have to winterize.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:13 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
The only time my water heater has been empty in 70,000 miles has been when I clean it. We don't have to winterize.
I'm with you. I start back from Mexico April 1, but drag my feet to get back to Minnesota until April 21.

I do however shut everything down and drain all the water out of the heater about twice a year. I used to do it less often, but after letting the water run through a strainer after 2 years of not emptying it, and getting a cup or more of gag, I now do it twice a year.

And generally, I leave the campground with grey and black tanks empty, fresh water full. You never know when you might have to sit a while.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:28 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
1) You will not have any issues using the water pump to fill the eater heater tank. If your water pump fails while filling a 6 gal water heater tank, then the water pump had an issue and was going to fail anyway.

2) If you are so close to the towing limits that a full water heater tank is giving you second thought, you may want to revisit your tow vehicle and trailer. They aren't up to the task at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I will be visiting a campsite with only electric hook up and wanted to fill the 6 gal water heater tank up at home using the city water connection. My thoughts were not pull any water from my 32 gal fresh water tank after filling at the campground and also preventing the water pump from overheating filling the WH tank. The tank is located in the rear of my rig. I don't think I'll be experiencing any towing issues but was wondering if I am missing something.

thanks
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfour5 View Post
I only fill the fresh water and its 450 lbs of weight IF I know there is NO potable water where I am going... If I can find potable water closer to where I'm camping I'll get that also... Google is your friend...
I have zero desire to spend the time to source and fill the water tank on the road, nor do I trust the water I'd be putting in. My tank is 80 gallons so it weighs alot more than 450lbs but my truck doesn't care.

Dave

Tags
heat, heater, tank, travel, water, water heater