Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Any Jayco 23RLSW Owners Here?

Hello all,

It's only been 11 years since I posted on iRV2. My wife and I sold our Winnebago 35U Class A in 2006. We put better than 20,000 miles on the 35U. Previously we had a 21 foot Nomad TT that we pulled with a Chevy Silverado. I think we had about 15,000 miles on the road with the Nomad.

I am looking at getting another TT since we are retired now and the wanderlust has hit again. The unit I am looking at is the Jayco 23RLSW. Does anyone here have experince with this TT?

I'll be getting another truck to tow with and am also trying to decide between a Toyota Tundra 5.7L and a Chevy 2500HD Duramax. I know which would tow better but there is a big cost difference.

Thanks for all advice,
Ben
W4TDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4TDX View Post
I am looking at getting another TT since we are retired now and the wanderlust has hit again. The unit I am looking at is the Jayco 23RLSW. Does anyone here have experince with this TT?

I'll be getting another truck to tow with and am also trying to decide between a Toyota Tundra 5.7L and a Chevy 2500HD Duramax. I know which would tow better but there is a big cost difference.
In our second season with a 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW, and we love it. It's almost perfect for 2 people, and can sleep a couple of kids as extras. We chose it for the floor plan that lets us view the TV from the couch. DW loves the counter space in the kitchen. A few comments, which are not intended to be negative:
  1. There's a lot to love about this trailer!
  2. The gray and black holding tanks are relatively small at 22.5 gal. We've found we need to dump pretty much daily. Wouldn't recommend it for extended "dry" camping or boondocking.
  3. We replaced the mattress after one season. It was dead. Most travel trailer mattresses are pretty pathetic, and this didn't surprise us.
  4. We're very happy with the amount of storage space. The closets look small, but we've been able to put up to about 2 weeks' worth of clothing in there. OK, jeans and sweatshirts get stacked on the shelf over the bed. Lots of space for food and other necessities.
  5. It sits pretty high, so there is some wobble when you're parked, even with the stabilizers down. X-chocks have helped a little.
  6. Just emptied our first LP gas tank this season after 4 weeks of camping. It's pretty easy on the gas. We ran the furnace about half the nights we were out, and I run the fridge on LP while we're driving. That's been over 50 hours so far this season.
We did find a couple of minor warranty issues, like the shower door being hung slightly crooked, a loose fitting in the plumbing, a leaky window (it didn't like rain hitting it sideways in a gale-force storm), and a bad vacuum check valve on the black tank flush system. Like I said, minor, and easily fixed by the dealer.

What else can I tell you? We love it. Good luck!

Roger
Old 06-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #3

Forgot to mention that we're towing with a 2010 Ford F150, 5.4L with 3.55 rear end. Does quite well. Just returned from a trip that included lots of mountains, about 1300 miles of towing. Got about 10 mpg towing.

Roger
Old 06-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the quick feedback Roger. One question, are you using a WDH on your F150?
Old 06-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4TDX View Post
Thanks for the quick feedback Roger. One question, are you using a WDH on your F150?
Absolutely. That trailer can put as much as 900 pounds on your hitch, so weight distribution is pretty much required no matter what you're towing with.

Roger
Old 06-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #6

We also have a Jayco 23RLSW ours is a 2016 and we love it!

It is a high trailer as Roger mentioned we use blocks to reduce the extension needed for the stabilizers.

Ours has 32 gallon tanks black and gray.

Wife loves the counter space in the kitchen also.

We swapped out the fold down couch for a love seat dual recliner.

We tow with a 2014 1500 Ram 5.7 Hemi and 3.21 rear end.

Get about 10 MPG average.

We did some (small) mountains Appalachian last year no problems.

We use a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH and it is rock solid towing.
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTwoSome View Post
We also have a Jayco 23RLSW ours is a 2016 and we love it!

It is a high trailer as Roger mentioned we use blocks to reduce the extension needed for the stabilizers.

Ours has 32 gallon tanks black and gray.

Wife loves the counter space in the kitchen also.

We swapped out the fold down couch for a love seat dual recliner.

We tow with a 2014 1500 Ram 5.7 Hemi and 3.21 rear end.

Get about 10 MPG average.

We did some (small) mountains Appalachian last year no problems.

We use a Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH and it is rock solid towing.
TxTwoSome, Glad to hear you did the couch conversion. So much more comfortable than the park bench they had in it.

I can also say it's a great unit for 2 people. Not perfect, but meets our needs and we make it work. Easily towable with my Jeep Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel.

WDH always. I've made numerous mods to my 2016 23RLSW from the couch conversion, a hard wired PI surge protector, locking battery box, 12 volt cutoff switch, larger TV in the living area, new Jensen radio, etc, etc.

I can post pics of some of the mods if you are interested and buy this model.

Had some warranty issues but those have been resolved.

Don't think you will be disappointed with the 23RLSW

.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4040.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	166567

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1445.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	166568
Old 06-27-2017, 08:29 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Wireman. Great pictures and especially the one in front of the Tetons. Teton NP, Jackson and Yellowstone NP are a favorite spot for my wife and I. So that begs the question about how you did in the mountains towing with your Grand Cherokee.

As others noted it is a high trailer but that can be an advantage in some places.

Thanks again,
Ben
Old 06-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #9

TT weighs about 5500 to 5700 lbs. ready to tow. This was a 5200mile trip from SoCal thru Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado.

No issues in any of the mountains. Diesels are less effected at higher altitudes compared to gas as far as power loss.

Did the climb from Denver west to the Eisenhower tunnel (11,000 Ft.) and was very happy towing.

Actual TOWING mileage on this trip including the mountains was 13.5 MPG.

If you can afford a diesel I would highly recommend it, especially if you do a lot of mountain driving like I do here out west.

Driving around Yellowstone and Cody I averaged on 1 tank 32.2 MPG when I filled the tank in Cody.

Click image for larger version

Name:	32.2 MPG FILLUP IN CODY.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	166575

Tags
jayco