Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2022, 06:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Space Craft is the top builder but they specialize in big 5th wheels.

There really is no other builder now that competes with Air Stream travel trailers. An Airstream travel trailer will stay together like no other. After 20 years just redo the interior to make it modern. The outside will still look good.

Why I never owned an Air Stream. No slides is the big reason.
That's one of the specific reasons I chose AS.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2022, 09:24 AM   #16
laj

Any other TT's built like an Airstream?

Yup, no slides for me either. Bought my AS new, no issues, tows better than anything else i’ve towed.

No issues at all. 1wp, wh element, and 2 anode rods. No leaks or anything in 23 yrs.

As far as FS roads, and boon docking that’s 90% of what i do. Figure i will never need another, but if i did i wouldn’t look at anthing but another AS.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:27 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Airstream is overrated and overpriced as far as I am concerned. They do have a cult following.

If you want a really well-built trailer and do not mind putting the work into it, look for a nice used 1980's Avion. These trailers were built like tanks and put airstream in 2nd place.

We restored a 1989 Avion 34V and it was a great trailer. It was a tri-axle and towed like a dream.

The big downside to the aluminum sided trailers is the damage potential from hail. You will eventually run into hail in your travels. When we had the Avion, we had been known to leave an area early due to threatening hail.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Airstream is overrated and overpriced as far as I am concerned. They do have a cult following.

If you want a really well-built trailer and do not mind putting the work into it, look for a nice used 1980's Avion. These trailers were built like tanks and put airstream in 2nd place.

We restored a 1989 Avion 34V and it was a great trailer. It was a tri-axle and towed like a dream.

The big downside to the aluminum sided trailers is the damage potential from hail. You will eventually run into hail in your travels. When we had the Avion, we had been known to leave an area early due to threatening hail.

Ken
Yes, when we started looking a few years ago the price gap between the AS and most everything else was wide, double or triple over SOBs. However with the last two years and the exponential rise in list price of new and used trailers, the gulf has come down significantly. I priced a Lance 1995 in May of 2020 and got a quote of $39k. That same trailer today is well over $70k, and it's had "upgrades" that have hurt the brand. The frame and suspension is different, no stove vent, no more rounded edges and cheaper interior materials, etc.

Grand Design, ORV, Lance, they all had huge price jumps. AS did as well, but not nearly as much as some others. AS was also standing behind the ordered price, since at one point it went well beyond 18 months to have one built and delivered.

Are they overpriced? Maybe, but since no one else makes anything like it it's hard to compare. They're certainly cheaper than a Bowlus, and they're a related trailer.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:13 PM   #19

I had never heard of Bowlus trailers so I checked out their website. I checked out the Voltera starting at $310,000 or 95 dollars per pound. Nope, the interior is completely non-functional and the build quality with exposed screws, rough aluminum trim, gimp moldings, and curtains is poor. It looked like a garage project to me. The upside down boat design is intriguing but esoteric.

The OP could consider ATC (Aluminum Trailer Company) products. Sure, they are toy haulers, but the quality and use of materials is severe, plus they are functional. An ATC would be a long term buy.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:13 PM   #20

If I win the lottery I might buy a Airstream Land Yacht - I like the LY the best.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If I win the lottery I might buy a Airstream Land Yacht - I like the LY the best.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/199...-XL-5023215440

^^^ $16k. No lottery is necessary.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:02 AM   #22

Nothing else is built like an AS.

Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:14 AM   #23

My Dad had a 32ft Silver Streak back in the early 70’s. It was quite nice and built like a tank. Not so nice inside by todays standards, but would make a good restoration project if you could find one in good condition. Unlike Airstream, It had wood lined interior.
Here’s what it looks like: https://youtu.be/8IaTCH1c448
Old 10-20-2022, 02:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
My Dad had a 32ft Silver Streak back in the early 70’s. It was quite nice and built like a tank. Not so nice inside by todays standards, but would make a good restoration project if you could find one in good condition. Unlike Airstream, It had wood lined interior.

The Classic still has a real wood interior including a cedar lined closet. The older ones had oak cabinets.
Old 10-20-2022, 07:24 PM   #25

Here is the Land Yacht travel trailer.

https://youtu.be/6Vi37dKPCrg
Old 10-20-2022, 07:33 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
We had restored a 1978 Silver Streak. The build quality of the Silver Streak and Avion were way ahead of the Airstream. But Airstream survived mainly due to the marketing and developing a cult following.

I still stand by my statement that the Airstream trailers are overpriced and overrated.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:47 AM   #27

Keystone built the Vantage trailer back in 2012/2013. I had a 2013 Keystone Vantage 25 RBS. It was fiberglass but was built kinda to compete with the Airstream. This trailer weighed around 6,500lbs loaded and had 16" E rated tires, heavier frame, 4,400 lb axles. These aspects of the trailer were over built. I kinda liked this trailer. If I had to do it again I would have bought the next model up the 29RLS.

Here is the model I had.

https://youtu.be/OMf4E1OXnKU

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 10-21-2022, 03:37 AM   #28

Some friends bought a new Airstream in 1075, took it back to the factory in 1995 for some upgrades. While there they had the exterior polished and re-sealed.
It has always been stored outside. This summer they were offered more for it than they paid new, PLUS the upgrades and polishing.
He died 2 months ago so I assume she will continue wintering in Melborne FL with it and the new Ford 3/4T truck they bought last year.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, airstream