Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #1

Anybody use a cover for the summer?

I use a barn for winter storage, but cant use it during the summer. I'm always wondering if I should tarp it or buy a cover for the summer. Fading doesn't really bother me...but am I risking any "real" damage by letting it sunbathe out there? It seems like the covers have almost as many cons as pros...especially since the the TT gets used pretty often in the summertime.

Thanks,
Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #2

Tried one a few years ago. Was a pain to install and remove. Plus the wind tore it to shreds after a few months. Now I just cover the roof mounted A/C units and the tires to protect them from UV ray deterioration.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #3

Anybody else?
Old 08-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

Bought the tan with white top cover from camping world. It lasted two years in the Phoenix, AZ heat. Replaced it with the same one about 10 months ago. For us it has been well worth the money since the sun is brutal out here. Takes me 20 mins or so to install/remove it. Saved a few bucks by waiting for it to go on-sale.
daka320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:48 PM   #5

We use one as well whenever we aren't going back out in a couple of weeks. If it is just sitting and baking, I'd rather take 15 minutes and cover it. Helps keep it cleaner and prevents the UV damage especially to the plastic parts like the hatch clips. Biggest thing with prolonging the life of the cover is to protect it from sharp corners, etc. We keep it covered full time in the winter once the season ends.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:21 PM   #6

I used to use a cover in the winter when the coach sat in the rain/snow to keep the elements off the unit... I'd never use one in the summer with the thought that blowing dust/dirt would migrate under the cover and in the wind would scratch the surface....

Do you remember bra's on the front of cars and motorhomes... ever looked under one of those bra's after months in the summer.... all the scratches from the dust/dirt
Old 08-25-2016, 06:19 AM   #7

Thanks...am I risking any actual damage by not covering in the summer? Like I mentioned, just fading doesn't bother me too much...
Old 08-25-2016, 06:27 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveRG View Post
Thanks...am I risking any actual damage by not covering in the summer? Like I mentioned, just fading doesn't bother me too much...
You will find many people that have had an RV for years and never covered it, or one way to look at it is people full time and are in the SUN/ELEMENTS/RAIN/SNOW...ETC and obviously never cover their coach. I have one of the Elements full covers and use it in the winter when i put my coach to bed for the 2-3 months.
I agree with Dutchstar tho i cover my Wheels all the time it is parked at my house no matter if it just for a week. Also, covering the A/C's is good to keep critters from setting up shop in your condensers.
Suggestion --- you can look on amazon or camping world, Elements has a roof cover only that just covers the roof and not the full cover for the sides. Easier and lighter to handle. Protects your roof during storm and reduces heating in the hot months the sun is beating down on the coach.
Good Luck
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #9

Thanks for the tips...especially the roof cover one. So I am gathering from these responses that no actual damage will come other than fade.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #10

Over time, the main "damage" you are asking about comes to the plastic items attached to the exterior such as things like your water inlet cover, storage hatch clips that clip the doors and hold them open, etc. can become brittle and break after years of UV exposure from the sun. With that said, these are typically easy to replace and aren't outrageously priced like say a refrigerator. Covering protects the plastic items better and extends life of everything while protecting the coach from fade. It also stays cleaner, but like you shared in the OP...pros and cons to both sides of this question.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #11

I store my trailer at a storage yard. A friend of mine stores there also he covers his all the time when not in use. He just found a lot of damage due to the dirt getting in under the cover lots of lots of lots of marks and scuffs. I do not cover mine don't really need to. It still looks good and it is now a good five years old. I just stopped at Blue Beacon about three times a year to get it washed and make sure they put a good coat of Rain-X over it. Like the big rigs use. Which I used to use on my rig all the time. Never had any issues I don't think covering it is the best thing but I live up north east I don't know what kind of heat you're dealing with but I would tend to wonder if it would help to hold the heat out or in?... Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #12

Good tips...thanks, I'm in the NE as well. Valley Forge PA.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveRG View Post
Anybody else?
Nothing on my now 20 year old, (148k mile), coach has ever been "covered", (with the exception if the tires, which I cover whenever the coach is parked for longer than 3-4 days).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote