Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #1

Anyone Installed a Bigger TV?

While we are out and active during the day, when it gets dark, we enjoy watching movies/shows. That said, we are planning on replacing the tv in our new Rockwood 2205S trailer, which we will pickup in a few weeks.

We know that you have to replace the wall mount and make the support wall bigger/stronger, but we would like to hear from anyone who has actually done it.

We will also be adding a sound bar too.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Texsinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #2

WHat size is OEM TV?

What size are you wanting to replace it with?

Many TVs use same mounting
And many of the new TVs are very light weight.

We had a 25" analog HEAVY TV in a cabinet. Took it out...made a cabinet door (huge storage area)
I installed a 32" Vizio on the face of cabinet door
That was in 2008 and still works fine.....no mounting issues etc

Check out the weight on the TV you want to use....not real heavy so doubt if you would have to do anything but swap TVs

Sound bars are not heavy items either....if mounting holes don't line uup with any wall 'studs' just use 'toggle bolts'
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:08 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
In my old Dutch Star I had an flat screen TV that had a border, it was 32". I replaced it with a 40" Samsung with a soundbar. The fit was almost perfect. I had to modify the cabinet to insert the soundbar but it was easy cabinetry.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #4

Since I don't have the trailer yet, I am not sure of the measurements. I want the biggest that will fit without touching or interfering. I am hoping for something around 50", which will still sound small compared to my home 75".

The same wall mount "might" work, but for around $50 I can get a much sturdier and better one. I also don't want to trust where it is mounted unless I can make it much stronger.

I have seen some "RV" wall mounts. I wonder if they are suppose to be better than a regular wall mount? Probably the only difference is a higher price due to that word "RV".
Old 01-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #5

Although we didn't replace it, the family we bought the trailer from did. On the center pedestal, they cut the left side out where the original TV was recessed in. This allowed a ~40 inch TV to fit and be angled towards the couch.
They found veneer stone that was extremely light, and glued it to the wood around the TV.

It works out great for our family. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170909_130125.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	314669
csj3790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #6

We replaced the factory tv in our Cedar Creek (40inch Jensen I believe) with a 55inch Vizio smart TV. New tv weighs less than 1/2 of the weight as the factory tv. We used the same mounting bracket. Now we have smart tv functionality and we can use our phones as the hotspot to get the internet connection for the tv.
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:14 PM   #7

Our OEM tv was rather small for a 35’ trailer, and was intended to rotated between the master bedroom and living area. I rotated it towards the bedroom and installed a 42” tv facing the living area. I had to build a few brackets to accommodate the wall mount I bought. But it worked out nicely. And the OEM tv is still there.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:55 PM   #8

Wondering why you want to go bigger. I watched the 3d walk thru and the tv looks plenty big however you could go a bit bigger as to not interfere with the cabinet or curtain. Seems a waste of $$ to me.
Thpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:09 AM   #9

Probably is a waste of money to many, but as I said in my post, at night, we enjoy watching movies/shows on tv.

Most people have something that they enjoy, and spending money on that, isn't a waste of money to them. Even though to others, it would be.

At home, we have a Sony 4K 75" with surround sound that we really like. So, after that, any RV tv is going to be small.

After I pickup the trailer, I will measure the area to see what the biggest one I can put in without hitting or interfering with anything else.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #10

My trailer came with a 28 inch 720P 12 volt DC powered TV. I had just enough room for a 40 inch 120 volt 4K display. The 4K is mostly useful when I stream or display from a laptop. The 40 inches is very useful because we are quit a ways away from the TV when watching from the bed.

I have a Wally and DVR plus the TV on a dedicated small inverter that stays on when ever we are camping. This allows me to turn the 3000VA inverter/charger off when we aren't using it for the big stuff.

The TV isn't that heavy but I used a wide dual attached bracket with 5 anchors on each side. I have it slightly tilted down and two the right and then tightened the adjustments. The dual attached bracket keeps the TV from moving when going down the road.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:55 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My F28 came with a 50" Furrion that was only 720 P and not great at that resolution. Just replaced it with a Samsung Q90T 55". Wow what a difference. Even though it is only 5 inches bigger it is considerably heavier. Quality is heavy. My mount is strong enough but yours may not be.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:18 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've replaced 6 TVs. 1st was a Old cathoray, the next 5 were larger, better definition, and easier to use.
The last one was the hardest. 48" Sony to a 50" TCL 4K UHD. It was on a elevator with trim work in the way, wiring wrong side, different mounting brackets, and dining table in the way. Way better picture, and a easier to use Smart programming.

Tags
install, led