Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2022, 06:14 PM   #1

Anyone put air suspension on a travel trailer?

I would like to both raise my trailer up a bit and also smooth out the ride so the trailer will be less impacted by road shocks and vibrations. perhaps something like this: Lippert Center Point by Trailer Air-ride LC1565391 at etrailerdotcom.

Has anyone put air suspension on a travel trailer?
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2022, 08:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Seen a few on 5th wheels and the folks like them fine.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:45 PM   #3

Would love to hear more about this. Our ORV does OK offroad but things do get tossed around back there.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:03 AM   #4

I'd opt for this.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...TSR10KT02.html
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I would like to both raise my trailer up a bit and also smooth out the ride so the trailer will be less impacted by road shocks and vibrations. perhaps something like this: Lippert Center Point by Trailer Air-ride LC1565391 at etrailerdotcom.

Has anyone put air suspension on a travel trailer?
I put the Center Point system on my 30' toy hauler (~10K weight).
I was concerned about shaking my trailer apart driving down gravel roads so I thought this would be a good solution.
I purchased it through Amazon - one of the bushings was banged up in the device upon arrival - I contacted Lippert (Right in the box was the usual note saying to call them instead of returning anything). They immediately sent me a bag of replacement bushings.
+1 for good customer service.

I installed them myself and there were no issues that a really big hammer would not fix (One of the spring openings was a bit small and required some help to get everything in).
This also provided replacement parts for all the really nasty cheap components with wet bolts that I can grease with nice brass bushings (all the bushings and bolts needed for the entire spring assembly).
+1 for maintainability.

I opted to not to do their recommended connections were the air lines tee together for the air - as my trailer has a kitchen in a slide and I am pretty sure one side of my trailer is heavier that the other - so by doing separate air lines I can air the two sides up differently.
This has worked out well - there are arms that are supposed to be parallel on the air bag supports (they show this in the instructions) - so I can easily tell when they are aired up properly and it turns out (as expected) two sides need different pressures (30 and 50psi).

So the question everyone want's to know - was it worth it?
I have no idea - I didn't take the trailer out before installation - and it tows fine now.

Does it shake the contents less?
I have no idea - logically it should - the trailer is now riding on air bags - but I don't have any data to back that up.

So in end all I can provide is a two thumbs up for the purchase and installation experience and the fact that I feel better having installed them and used them for a year of camping with no issues.
DoneWorkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:19 PM   #6

Thank you Cumminsfan, I watched the video for the Timbren Silent Ride Suspension for Tandem Axle Trailers w/ 3" Round Axles on the eTrailer website.

This could be a real possibility. There are a couple of issues I have to explore: Will it increase the road or chassis clearance? I need to increase the road clearance at least 2" but not more than 6". And 2nd, who in the Nashville area has the expertise to install this.

Finding an installer for anything I wind up deciding to use will be of primary importance, and I will probably rely on their expertise in the final selection for this project.

To document research to date:

Suspension upgrade possibilities to date:

1.Lippert Center Point by Trailair Air-Ride Suspension Upgrade - Tandem Axle
2.Kelderman leaf-spring to air-suspension system
3.MORryde Independent Suspension and Disc Brake Upgrade
4.Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System - 2" Lift Spindle w/ Brake Flange -
5,200 lbs Item # TASR5200S05
5.Timbren Silent Ride Suspension

I will followup with/if I do a suspension upgrade.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:38 PM   #7

The MORRyde SRE4000 is very simple to install, raises the trailer about 1.25", and smooths the trailer ride significantly. Combined with a MORRyde rubberized pin box, chucking is 98% gone. I believe that the SRE4000 gets most of the credit. Check out the video on MORRyde's web site. No air bags to adjust or leak down. I would think that raising the trailer more than 2" would be sub-frame territory to get the strength necessary.
LenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:31 PM   #8

Stellar effort here, boys! I have a lot of reading to do! Will have to convert that to
6 packs but I will persevere, at least on the beer!
Old 01-18-2022, 03:54 PM   #9

my vote would be for adding shocks to the trailer and Morryde CRE4000 center. I did the Dexter version 10 years ago to a trailer and it made a noticeable improvement, I would say the Morryde 4000 is a better product then the dexter.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
my vote would be for adding shocks to the trailer and Morryde CRE4000 center. I did the Dexter version 10 years ago to a trailer and it made a noticeable improvement, I would say the Morryde 4000 is a better product then the dexter.
I have done similarly.

I installed the Equa-Flex Spread Axle Suspension Upgrade Kit.

This gave some "cush" to the ride, plus lifted the trailer 2" taller. I needed the lift for larger tires.

The improvement in reducing the hard jolts was there, but not the total answer for us.

I then added shock absorbers at each wheel. The improvement was dramatic with the shock addition.

Kevin
Old 01-19-2022, 12:06 PM   #11

My trailer currently has leaf springs and 4 shocks. I have added the Lippert Components 314336 Equa-Flex Spread Axle Suspension Upgrade Kit to the list, thank you for the suggestion.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #12

After thinking a bit more about it and talking with the RV service tech that will be doing the installation I will probably install the Lippert 1565391 Center Point® Air-Ride Suspension System. After I use it later this season I will try to remember to report the outcome of this installation.

Tags
air, suspension, trailer, travel, travel trailer