Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #1

hello all
Im a newbie in the RV world ready to buy a new 5th wheel. I have narrowed my choice to an Arctic Fox or a Rockwood Signature Ultra light unit. Im am looking for some feedback on the quality of these units. I have heard the Arctic Fox is one of the best, if not the best, at this price point. The Rockwood unit also looks good to me, although I am novice with not much experience at what to look for. I would just buy the Artic Fox, but I think I like the Rockwook floor plan a bit more. Not much more, but enough to try and get some unbiased opinions. Dealers are useless for this. I am hoping to keep this unit many years so Im trying to do everything I can to make the right decision. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance
Drakentol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #2

hello all
Im a newbie in the RV world ready to buy a new 5th wheel. I have narrowed my choice to an Arctic Fox or a Rockwood Signature Ultra light unit. Im am looking for some feedback on the quality of these units. I have heard the Arctic Fox is one of the best, if not the best, at this price point. The Rockwood unit also looks good to me, although I am novice with not much experience at what to look for. I would just buy the Artic Fox, but I think I like the Rockwook floor plan a bit more. Not much more, but enough to try and get some unbiased opinions. Dealers are useless for this. I am hoping to keep this unit many years so Im trying to do everything I can to make the right decision. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance
Old 01-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look in to the nooks and crannies and inside cabinets to see which one is built better. Think you will see a big difference in construction with the Arctic Fox.

And a big howdy and welcome to iRV2. Hope you can get a lot of help here.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #4

We owned an Artic Fox 5th wheel and loved it. While on vacation, we toured an Everest and fell in love with it. The biggest mistake we made was trading the Artic Fox for the "prettier" Everest. The quality does not come close to that of the Arctic Fox. We had no problems with the Fox, and problems since day one with the Everest. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Fox and have persuaded two of my friends who were looking for trailers to purchase the Fox. Neither of them have been disappointed.
guardmmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #5

You mentioned that the Rockwood is Ultralight? Northwood definitely does not make light weight equipment. Again, I would opt for the Arctic Fox.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:42 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Hi and welcome to IRV2. I used to own a 2001 Rockwwod Ultra lite 5th wheel. The difference between the Rockwwod and Actic Fox is the Rockwood is an ultra lite and the Arctic Fox is not. I had no complaints or major issues with the Rockwood at all. We only bought the Rockwood because we were shopping for a light trailer and it was in my opinion the best ultra lite. If weight is not a concern, the Arctic Fox is a much sturdier and better built trailer and would be my choice hands down. If weight is an issue, then I would not hesitate to buy another Rockwood. By the way, our current Wildcat is made by Forest River who also builds Rockwood. I am very happy with Forest River products.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have owned several TTs over the years and currently own an Arctic Fox and love it. I don't know if Rockwood's ultralight construction is like many others where there is no framing in the walls - the Filon, foam, and luan are simply glued together and attached to a top and bottom frame. This makes for a real lightweight unit with moderate strength. In their Silver Fox editions, Arctic Fox assembles a full aluminium frame with wood inserts at the joints that gives the screw something other than the metal to bite into. Foam blocks are laid into the frame and then the filon and luan are vacuum bonded together to create the sidewall. After the bonding process the windows and doors are routed out on a computerized routing table. Arctic Fox also builds their own frames. I think that if you are looking for a unit that will last more than 10years the AF is the unit for you. Also the factory support can't be beat. If you want to read more on the AF go to www.afnash.com it is the forum for Arctic Fox and Nash owners - like me
Old 01-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
If I recall corectly, my '01 Rockwood was a full aluminum frame in the sidewalls, with Filon exterior, foam core insulation, and the luan interior walls. I don't know if they changed their construction methods since though.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:07 AM   #9

I dont own a AF but I can tell you from looking at them a shows If and when I replace my 2001 31' holiday Rambler I will most likely find a arctic fox. Hard to beat the hiden features that are standard in a AF . I camp year round way up north, often times its -10 ~ -15 F at night . Thats well below the comfort rateing of most brands , my HR has thermopane windows , insulated floors but compareing numbers the AF is still better. Quality wise , fit finish and building pratices you will not find anything better. Example compare axle rating to whats really sitting on them ,most spec out the bare min maybe 1000 lbs to spare on the rating . think about it that 250 lbs under the tire max weight limits , if your running your tires 5 psi to low your going to have a blow out and the tire may only last 2 seasons !!!
Old 01-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #10

Wow, thanks for that info Mark. I didnt know that and that is a huge issue to me. As a comparison on the axle rating, do you know how the Arcitic Fox unit compares? As far as actual weight to the rating. Thanks for the info. I think this has sealed the deal for me to go with AF.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #11
CD

Drakentol
This is not an answer to your question but just some personal info. Our Nash weighs about 9K when we travel & I have a lot of unnessary "things" that we don't need. The GVW is 10400. The Nash is an older lower class than the Artic Fox (both by Northwood). Before we bought it I read an article in the paper that Ron Nash wanted an RV built for the rough NW roads that you can encounter when off the main roads. IMHO he succeeded.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #12

Enjoyed reading these opinions... We just bought a 32-5s Artic Fox 5thW. Sounds like we made the right move.
Edwidge is offline   Reply With Quote