Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #15

If you ever have a RVIA sticker get peeled off, your most likely to never be able to get a replacement. And it happens. On my 5'er that I don't have any more, it faded away and crumbled. I haven't found one on my new 2018 Starcraft yet.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 10:44 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
As one who once converted one and now have a coachman apex I can say that the cargo trailer was built a lot better but it was heavier per square foot. And as for safety it had all of the same components as an RV because that is that I used. As for the comment that you could not sell it you are flat out wrong. Companies also make these into horse trailers with living spaces. They also were the first toy haulers that were available.
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #17

A quick search on Amazon shows you can easily order tons of rv graphics. You can even get rv names and stick on it and make the color schemes look just like any other rv that you'd see.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #18

If it was registered as a cargo trailer that's what it is. Labels don't matter. You can't just say its now an RV.
Teddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #19

I sold my 5x8 trailer as a cargo trailer which it is. Is sleeping on a mattress on the floor of the cargo trailer any different than sleeping in the bed of a truck with a shell on top?
Old 05-22-2018, 02:20 PM   #20

Nor is sleeping in a washer box in the alley. Not a problem unless you want to smoke.
Teddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #21

For a cargo trailer to become a RV trailer it must comply with this paragraph from vehicle certification.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-20...6-sec567-7.xml
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #22

Over the past few years, I've seen Class B's and C's in campgrounds with a cargo trailer. It seems these cargo trailers were being used as a kitchen with electric range and a small, apartment size washer/dryer units and a 12 cuft ( I think) refrigerator. Not sure if there was a bunk, but with a 16' trailer, there was enough space. The other one that caught my eye was basically a walk-in closet but was only about 8' long.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:05 AM   #23

tizzyfit...

I never thought of that. I plan to haul a small car in or on a trailer with us opposed to a toad system. With a cargo trailer I could also add the washer/dryer, ladder and a few other heavy bulky items in safe environment with minimum plumbing. I do not wish to install a washer/dryer in the designated space of coach as it's in the full wall slide and adds a lot more weight to the slide. Plus, that's valuable space for trash can, longer clothing items, lighter stocks, etc. Great idea!!
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #24

If I knew what I know now I wouldn't of bought our current 5th wheel and would've done a cargo conversion. I wouldn't of had a faded front cap and would of saved about $18K.
Only issue I see is the low ground clearance.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #25

Nothing can be lower than the front jacks on my MH. If they clear...anything will.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:53 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
Yes, there are campgrounds that will prohibit your stay without a RVIA compliance sticker.
Beat me to it!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funding Fun View Post
I would say...if you don't like it...don't sleep in it. If he does...don't worry about it. He probably had the time of his life converting it and he could probably care less what anyone else thinks about it. If he's happy with...I'm overjoyed!! Live and Let Live!!
Sounds like a good plan.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #28

My old 5x8 cargo trailer had 15 inch tires and plenty of ground clearance. Far more than the Highlander towing it had. The roof and the sidewalls are aluminum and I added insulation in the roof, sidewalls and two inches of block foam under the floor for insulation. I protected the foam underneath with FRP. That cargo trailer will probably outlast most travel trailers since there is not much to go wrong.

Tags
trailer