Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #29

Its just all in the eyes of the beholder. Just like anything, there's just people that wouldn't be caught dead using once. There's people that wouldn't be caught still using their old tube type tv that is probably still working on someones garage right now or wouldn't be caught watching a vcr tape. If one rolled up beside me and they acted like a person should I'd have no issue and would probably be more curious to meet them and talk about how they set theirs up. Are they safe? Depends on what was done to them. If they had a built in generator that had the exhaust pipe going into the sleeping area to keep warm, no. if it's just one that someone made their own bunks and storage and decorations it, then it's fine.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2018, 07:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyman View Post
I was at a campground this weekend and saw a 30 foot cargo trailer converted to a toy hauler/camper for 2 harleys. 3 extension cords that tripped out and a green lawn hose for water.

Ex-marine, nice folk.... but are these safe? I only saw 1 man door and 1 window, not small enough to get out. RV's require a minimum number of egress points.

I'm not against DIY but at least RV mfg have certain minimum codes to adhere to. This thing looked like a dark death trap to me. Not trying to start a war but if you want to play you should really be in rig that is properly designed and equipped for humans. Do some RV parks restrict cargo trailer conversions?
Absolutely, jump deep into something built in a retired dentists backyard with a nail gun, railroad ties, a thousand feet of extension cords and a five gallon bucket for a bathroom. These things are only as safe as the builders experience and what they deem as an acceptable level of comfort. The trailer you describe sounds awful, but if you think about the choice of dragging that rolling slum tenement as opposed to piling all of your gear on a motorcycle by itself for weeks at a time, then your work trailer in the yard becomes a viable option. Especially in potentialy miserable weather or if you happen to have some physical limitations riding a motorcycle for any real distance. People make due with what they have. I happen to have a new rig and a pretty new truck. I'm fortunate but that wasn't always the case. There was a time not that long ago that I towed my bike on a bike trailer and my truck was a seven yr old crossover that I slept in when I traveled (as per the aforementioned limitations) NOT the most comfortable situation but what I had and what I could afford. I love our new RV with all of its conveniences, bells and buzzers but I still love riding my bike and living out of my saddle bags.
Tolerance is achieved by understanding
Understanding is achieved by dialogue
NeilClick image for larger version

Name:	2017-08-13-123919.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	204142Click image for larger version

Name:	1_35280_2163186_50012643.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	204143
AKA...Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #31

Life is all about risks. But don't let your risks interfere with my health and safety. And don't ask me to move to another spot.

I used to sleep in a 6x10 open trailer converted to a Conestoga style wagon with conduit and tarps with candles and propane heaters...... at a private property with me.
It was only my risk.

What happens if a rubber propane cylinder hose works loose and blows up your unit and those RV's next to it? Do you and your cargo trailer have insurance for that liability? I'm sure the RV park would also be on the hook for allowing the non-RV to be there.
A Clinton family suffers burns after cargo trailer ignites - GOOD4UTAH

Could be loss of lives and legal shitstorm for years to come.

To me its just not worth it.

I would be concerned about camping in a tight RV site with $100+K RVs parked 6 feet away.
Teddyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:56 PM   #32

You can find all kinds of examples of motorhomes catching fire too. More than 6000 per year in the US alone according to this RV resort article. You nor I have any idea how well that $100K+ MH parked next to us has been maintained or what handyman modifications where done by the owner after they took possession of it. Play it safe, start interviewing all your neighbors before settling in or try boondocking.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #33

6000 out of 9 million RVs is less than the number of house fires.
I'm not the RV police nor do I want to be, but if I see another one next to me I'll make sure to let the manager know and make sure there aren't next to me.

If I owned a $100k machine I would be sure to take care of it. A $2K trailer maybe not so much. But if you are in a vehicle designed, built and certified for humans you are at least starting out right.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #34

Forest River Owners Club
I guess anyone whom bought a work and play brand trailer better check their registration or the op might sue them if it doesn’t say RV
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyman View Post
6000 out of 9 million RVs is less than the number of house fires.
I'm not the RV police nor do I want to be, but if I see another one next to me I'll make sure to let the manager know and make sure there aren't next to me.

If I owned a $100k machine I would be sure to take care of it. A $2K trailer maybe not so much. But if you are in a vehicle designed, built and certified for humans you are at least starting out right.
If they are allowed in to the park good luck with that. They've paid for their privilege to be there just like you did.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #36

They're alot of 'em in the southwest
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:23 AM   #37

I bet an attorney would have a field day with both the park owner for allowing (due diligence) them in and the trailer owner for unsafe eqpt not designed for humans. Lots of legal liability there $$.

Just because a lot of people are doing it doesn't make it right or safe.
I don't go to an RV park and plan on looking and smelling someone's open sewer vent all weekend.

I'm not hung up on the RV sticker thing. It's about folks cutting corners on equipment, creating public health hazards and risking others lives.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:36 PM   #38

First you ask are they safe then you some how came to a conclusion they are not without showing us any proof. Don't slam people for their rigs simply because of unfounded fear. Good grief. Time to move on.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:45 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So Teddyman, what in your RV spot?

Got all your recalls done?

There have been 5 recalls on Trail Lite vehicles in recent years. The latest, dated 2013-12-20 and published by the NHTSA on 2014-01-03, was due to a problem with the latches/locks/linkages. Approximately 3175 vehicles were involved. Since 2000, Trail Lite's have experienced approximately 9 recall(s) due to hazards with various components, including the equipment, labels, shaft pitman, recreational vehicle and electrical system.

If you put it in your signature, it might help someone to help you.

We've got GIs sleeping under canvas, And I know that's not safe!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:30 PM   #40

Mercy sakes...still at it?

Tomato, tomahto; potato, potahto; even "potatoe" (Dan Quayle style)

Life is too short, let's just enjoy the camping hobby together. Oh and:

"Lighten up Francis"
https://youtu.be/h4em8_iu-Tw
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:54 AM   #41

I started out this thread title because that was a question from my wife when she looked at the conversion.

Yes I checked NHTSA site before I purchased the vehicle and no recalls on mine so far. That is one reason to buy something that has a traceable record. With an unregistered conversion you really have no way of knowing about recalls, unless you keep the receipts and register each piece of equipment in the rig. (unlikely)

Just know with an unlicensed conversion you are putting other lives, as well as yours, at personal risk and legal liability in a crowded RV campground should an accident occur.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:08 AM   #42

Just know with an unlicensed conversion you are putting other lives, as well as yours, at personal risk and legal liability in a crowded RV campground should an accident occur.

With a licensed dealer sold officially sponsored Geo with a cell phone in your hand your putting more lives at risk than someone asleep in a cargo trailer.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer