Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2016, 01:12 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Here's my .02 in on the discussion regarding KOA.

My experience has been that the quality and amenities offered by individual KOA parks very greatly - but that their pricing (which is typically at a premium for whatever area they're in) is consistent.

We've stayed in a couple of really nice ones - but found that the park amenities that drive their pricing weren't really things that we use much. (Give me a site with full hookups in a park that provides a little space ... and that leaves me with a sense that it's a safe place to stay and I'm happy).

We've also stayed in a couple that advertised "big rig" pull-thrus that had the front end of my 44' coach sticking out a foot into the road in front of us while the rear end stuck out a foot into the road behind us ... at nearly $60 for the night.

Now we only use KOA campgrounds if we've had an opportunity to check out the park in advance ... and can't find something that's a better fit for our lifestyle in the vicinity.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #16

I guess a lot depends on where you want to camp and how much you're going to camp. We like the State and National Parks. The commercial campgrounds offer sewer but they tend to pack you in like a shopping center parking lot. The Golden Age Federal Pass is great if you've reach 62 years. $10 one time fee and 1/2 price camping at Federal and COE parks forever. Best deal around. I got a 2 year GS membership last year and I think I've used it twice for camping discounts. I do save 3 cents a gallon when I fill up at Pilot but a tank full only saves me a dollar. I probably won't renew since we don't use that many privately owned campgrounds.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #17

Jayco Owners Club
I had a Good Sam membership for 1 year... my first year as an RVer. I camped about 16 nights and not once did I find a place that honored their discount. Their magazine was nothing more than an ad rag for selling their insurance and other services. They have not gotten another cent from me and probably won't.

As to KOA: I bought their membership in August, and I do receive a discount at KOAs... which as mentioned are nice but overpriced. Their niceness does vary considerably, but their prices do not. We used KOAs exclusively on our recent trip from Texas to Northern Virginia and back, except for the last night at a state park for less than half what a KOA costs. That being said in the 9 nights we stayed in KOAs, the membership has paid for itself, sort of. I know state parks are not for profit, and should be cheaper, but every time I stay at a KOA, I feel like someone should kiss me... ... If I had done more research and found close state parks I'd probably have been a couple of tanks of fuel ahead on that trip... my bad...

I'm going to look into some of the others mentioned... Thanks!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #18

Used to be worth it with the Highways magazine, which they discontinued a few months after I paid for lifetime membership. Still get the camping world discount and cg discount but miss the magazine.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We bought a Charter Lifetime GS membership years ago. Frankly I wouldn't bother with even a yearly one now.
Me too
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:55 PM   #20

We enjoy KOA campgrounds as some are great and most are consistent. We also vacation at many Good Sam rated campgrounds, and I think the 10% discount covers the cost of membership. We have a Camping World about 12 miles away from home, and although we don't shop there often, again the discount is helpful. I do believe membership costs less when purchased directly at a Camping World. That said, given your original description, membership will probably not be of much use to you. JMHO
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just bought 8 tires using the FMCA Advantage program. Saved somewhere over $300 per tire over the list price, but then no one pays list either. So, even if it was only $200 per tire that's still $1600.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Passport America YES 50% off Camping
AARP YES 10% off Camping
AAA YES 10% off Camping
FMCA YES Michelin Discount, Medical Assist

Good Sam NO! Junk Mail and Spam, over priced products

My opinion only.
Not old enough for AARP . We are only 38 with 3 small kids.

Michelin Discounts? How much and any restrictions? That's the only tire I'll buy.
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayberry32 View Post
Not old enough for AARP . We are only 38 with 3 small kids.

Michelin Discounts? How much and any restrictions? That's the only tire I'll buy.
Discount runs $150 to $300 per tire as reported by a few on this site. Go to the FMCA website and read about the tire program for the best info.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:26 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Passport America is the best program!!!
Old 11-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #25

I'm interested in the FMCA membership. I see the Michelin Advantage benefit on their page. Those are good prices on Michelin tires. Is that a discount at all dealers, only at participating dealers, or a rebate back from FMCA after purchase? Anyone know how that works?
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:09 AM   #26

The Passport America discount is certainly good, but we find that most of the parks are too far from our travel route.

Regarding KOA, if you do use these, their points eventually add up to sizeable discounts.

I just checked FMCA Michelin discount for 225/70R19.5 XZE load range F: $400 + shipping at Tire Rack, $349.82 through the FMCA program

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkerb View Post
Passport America is the best program!!!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I have been a Good Sam member since 2009, after using their parks over the years..........I will be dropping them at renewal time as their "Park Inspection" process/expections are not good in my opinion.
KOA has a couple of traveling inspection RV's that travel the country inspecting their campground's...............
I have never been let down on expectations of a KOA in my travels........
This photo is a 3 day inspection/Observation by the KOA inspector's
Never have I seen this in a GS campground............and they show it.

We met a couple in CA that were GS inspectors. They do the same thing as you describe for KOA.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:19 PM   #28
RPr

We think it is worth it. We have both a CW and KOA memberships. We also do a lot of state parks but they fill up during tourist season. It seems we can always find a CW or KOA spot.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote