Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #1

Are my Brakes Working Right?

I recently noticed that my tt breaks don't seem to be very effective compared to the ones on a work and play I previously owned . They will not lock up on the highest setting on my controller. I have 3500lb Dexter axles , the work and play had 6k axles though the empty weight was only about 1k heaver on the work and play . Any thoughts.
Porkchop401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #2

If the TT brakes are mechanically working properly it appears the shoes need to be adjusted.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:08 PM   #3

That sounds like something is amiss. I would take it in for a brake inspection by somebody qualified.
skiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #4

Will these self adjust buy braking traveling backwards like vehicles with drum brakes? I have adjusted drum brakes on vehicles in the past with out issue . There is always you tube !
Old 08-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop401 View Post
Will these self adjust buy braking traveling backwards like vehicles with drum brakes? I have adjusted drum brakes on vehicles in the past with out issue . There is always you tube !
It depends. How to Determine if Trailer Has Self-Adjusting Brake Assemblies
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The new brake controllers will apply pressure to the trailer brakes based on speed and how hard you are stepping on the. The controller knows you don't need to lock up the brakes if you aren't moving, so moving the trailer brake lever all the way over to full application of force will not lock your brakes from a stand still, or even a low speed.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it were me, if you are not mechanically inclined, take it in and have a professional look at them. Just for the peace of mind. If you are traveling at any speed, moving the manual brake lever should activate the brakes, and you should feel some drag. They won't necessarily lock up the wheels.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
1bigmess has the right answer. The new controllers sense the momentum of the tow vehicle and only apply force based on how hard you step on the pedal. Just set the gain around 7 and fine tune it until it feels the same as braking without the trailer attached.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
If it were me, if you are not mechanically inclined, take it in and have a professional look at them. Just for the peace of mind. If you are traveling at any speed, moving the manual brake lever should activate the brakes, and you should feel some drag. They won't necessarily lock up the wheels.
Yes you could say I'm fairly mechanically inclined😊 I base my notion that my braks arn't holding as well as they should on the fact that when I manually engage via the brake controller while moving a couple miles an hour in the driveway the braiking is very subtle even on the highest setting of 10. My previous tt on the same truck would stop abruptly and slide the tires.
I can't see me taking my camper back to the dealership for any type of repair after talking to the shop foreman and him not being able to answer some basic questions for me. Not to mention he informed me he had never owned a tt of any kind.
Go figure.
Any how I intend to jack her up next week engage the brake controller and see what's working and what's not.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #10

The factory owners manual describes the procedure for setting the gain on my ram. It states that it should lock the tires at 20-30mph and to adjust gain to just before tire lock up with the lever. If the controllers wont do this anymore, why is the procedure still the same on a 2016? Mine does this too, and its not good! You arent descending twisty mountain 13% grades at 50mph. At least I certainly am not! This is a huge safety issue, and needs to be addressed. Perhaps we should get and use a brake controller made and sold by a brake controller company, and not a vehicle manufacturer that is constantly trying to cut corners to save money?
Powrjunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A couple of questions:

How old is this trailer?
How long has it been since the drums were pulled and checked for grease on the brake drums? That will greatly affect braking.
How is the adjustment of the shoes?

When I am traveling less than 20MPH and move the slider on the brake controller, the wheels lock up big time. At highway speed I can feel a jolt and drag from the trailer. This is correct, especially for the eventual panic stop.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
This is a huge safety issue
Please, explain how this is a huge safety issue that the brakes will not lock up on a trailer because of the proportional trailer brake controller.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
When I am traveling less than 20MPH and move the slider on the brake controller, the wheels lock up big time. At highway speed I can feel a jolt and drag from the trailer.
At highway speed, if you lock up the brakes, there would be a lot more excitement than only a jolt and the feeling of drag from the trailer brakes.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Please, explain how this is a huge safety issue that the brakes will not lock up on a trailer because of the proportional trailer brake controller.

Its not that it wont lock up the tires, its that the controller wont apply enough power to get the braking force from the trailer to safely slow and stop the vehicle. When traveling down the road from Brian Head, Utah, the 30mph speed limit on the 13% grade is quite dangerous with trailer brakes that are hardly working. Brake fade is far more dangerous than most believe. Ever seen a runaway truck ramp and wonder why theyre there?

Thats how its a huge safety issue.
Powrjunkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes