Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 04:27 PM   #1

Are Norcold Fridges Junk?

I have a 10 ft3 Nocold in my trailer. I have had a few problems with it going out when on propane, I think due to wind so I have been trying a baffle which seems to help. Fast forward to last weekend and when we opened the door to the fridge, the whole thing fell off! Note - this is a 2020 model so a relatively new trailer.

Turns out the hinge on the bottom broke off (they are plastic). Called about getting a new hinge - nope...have to buy the whole door for $342. I have it in now but I am a bit afraid to use the shelves on the door but if they didn't want me to put anything on the door they shouldn't put shelfs on it.

Anyone else have issues with broken hinges on a Norcold?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #2

Check this out
Common problem

https://thenorcoldguy.com/norcold-re...compatibility/
Old 09-15-2021, 05:01 PM   #3

I'm not answering your door question - I'm responding to your post title.

My 1993 Norcold - with, from what I can tell, all original parts - works all day, every day, and keeps my ice cream hard.

(Perhaps the newer models are junk, but I read your title and thought "hey!")

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
I'm not answering your door question - I'm responding to your post title.

My 1993 Norcold - with, from what I can tell, all original parts - works all day, every day, and keeps my ice cream hard.

(Perhaps the newer models are junk, but I read your title and thought "hey!")

My previous trailer (2003 Travelaire) had a Dometic in it - zero problems in 16 years...I spend $70G on a new trailer and have had a few issues with this trailer, the latest being this door. After all my beer fell all over the floor when the door came crashing down I am starting to think that I made a mistake selling the old one.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:35 PM   #5

The Norcold fridge in our 2012 Bay Star is much better than the Dometic fridges we had in our 2002 Sunline trailer and 2014 Winnebago trailer. The freezer is much colder and the main part of the fridge is cold enough at the middle setting. But...perhaps their quality has gone to heck like a lot of other products on the market today! And, you certainly should be able to get parts to avoid having to buy a replacement door....I wouldn't be happy!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:41 PM   #6

That question is very subjective IMO. My 1999 Norcold 1200LRIM still works fine. The lifespan is determined by how much it is operated outside the Norcold maximum out of level parameters, which is 6° front-to-back, 3° side-to-side as looking into the fridge.

The rule of thumb is; if you are comfortable living, sleeping, eating in your RV the fridge is likely within the Norcold parameters.
This fully explains:The RV Doctor: RV Absorption Refrigeration Basics
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:44 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would gladly trade my current new Dometic fridge for a new Norcold.

That said, the door hinges in the Norcold are a know weak point, to the point, you can buy metal supports for the Norcold hinges.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:49 AM   #8

I started camping when our last stop was the ice house. Progressed to absorption refers that couldn't keep ice in the freezer frozen let alone convert water to ice. All the new refers are amazingly good at what they are supposed to do. Yes there are some known problems. One of those problems is the Norcold door. Easy and cheap to prevent before it brakes. I have no idea why Norcold won't reinforce the hinge before they leave the factory but they don't. The best insurance is to stay active on an RV forum and pay attention to the lessons others have learned in the School of Hard Knocks. The newer 12v compressor refers are very promising and solve a few problems intrinsic to the absorption refers. I'm looking forward to see where this tech leads. I'm also hoping to see some developments in heat pump tech for HVAC.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:21 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had both Dometic and Norcold and as best I can tell, they are all junk now. The older Dometic and Norcold were much better built units and they would cool. If you notice, the newer units weigh about 2/3 of what the older units weighed.

Now you can get a 12 VDC or 120 VAC powered replacement for most of the RV fridges now.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I would gladly trade my current new Dometic fridge for a new Norcold.

That said, the door hinges in the Norcold are a know weak point, to the point, you can buy metal supports for the Norcold hinges.
I read that the hinge kit does not fit on the Norcold Polar NA10LX (which is the replacement for the N1095)- I am going to check later today but I think that is the model I have.

The fridge itself cools very well (when it doesn't go out from wind) but cold beer crashing to the floor makes a big mess...
Old 09-16-2021, 10:07 AM   #11

I have had two Norcold N611 fridges 2007-08 vintage and they were great. I now have a Dometic and it too works great. Don't know what to say about the door, I put hinge kits on both of the N611's before they broke or cracked.

Charles
Old 09-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #12

2020 Model......plastic hinge broke....need new door

IF RV Purchased with in one (1) yr

WARRANTY

https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...and%20handling.

Never hurts to file the claim with Norcold
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:02 PM   #13

[QUOTEAre Norcold Fridges Junk?][/QUOTE]

In my opinion yes.
I installed one in a boat. Probably the same model.
The freezer door warped after a month and would not seal properly. Since it was in a boat they would not send a technician to fix it unless I paid their time for a 2 hour trip. That would be diagnose the problem.
Then another 2 hours travel time to replace the door after they ordered it.
We "fixed" the problem by adding weather stripping to the seal. It solved the problem but was not a proper repair.
Never again
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:19 PM   #14

Planning to replace ours with either a Dometic or install
an inverter and get something altogether better.

Tags
fridge, norcold