Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2021, 12:57 PM   #15

Generically, the front axle likely should be set up identical to the rear axle. I've never personnaly seen a Travel Trailer with differnt springs/mounts between axles.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2021, 05:47 AM   #16

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm no trailer expert but I think somebody lowered the trailer by moving the axel to the top of the springs.
That alone would drop the trailer and every road bump railway track would be felt by every part of the trailer.
Springs should dampen the shock load to the axel also.
The way this is every reason to have springs has be illuminated.

If memories are correct straight axels with no springs are used on house trailers.
Some older horse trailers also had ridget axles no springs.

Not sure what you use it for or how long you tow. But long distance I would take it too a spring shop and get them to tell you exactly what you have.
If it is a problem for you get a professional opinion with options to change it.
Make sure you let us know the outcome!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:50 PM   #17

Once again, thanks everyone for your input.
Once I got under the TT I got a better insight on this situation.
The front axle indeed has been changed out. The drawback is that there is a plate on both the top and bottom of the axle. (and yes, both axles are bowed upward.) The rear axle does not have the top plate and has the square block welded to the frame above the axle as did the front axle. (let's call these bump-stops) Rather than take the axle bolts off and grind the welds to remove the upper plate, I chose to cut the square blocks (bump-stops) off of the frame above the front axle. The plate on top of the axle can now hit the frame if needed and has become the bump-stop.
After returning the trailer to the ground and leveled, the rear axle clearance to the bump-stop is around two inches and the front bump-stop to the frame is around 3 inches. This, I believe is near the intent of the original axle set-up.
I will take the trailer for a test run and hope my theories hold true.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210608_132135.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	331515   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210608_132233.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	331516  

arizim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 01:34 PM   #18

If the front axle moves up the full three inches, will the tire hot anywhere?

Make sure there are clearances for the full wheel travel up.
Astasoftride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:04 PM   #19

I bet the replacement axle was setup to be underslung (under the leaf spring) when it was purchased, and new saddles were welded on the bottom of the axle for this installation.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:09 AM   #20

I'm still thinking the axles were originally on the bottom of the springs. There are quite a few MVP Coast trailers for sale here:

https://www.smartrvguide.com/rvs-for-sale/mvp-coast

I'd start calling around and asking if they can tell you the ground clearance, axle to ground and if the axles are on the top or the bottom of the springs. Tell them you plan on boondocking and this info is important. These are both legitimate boondocker questions so I bet you get an answer.

I don't know model-wise, but this video has a good shot of the wheel wells of a MVP Coast trailer at about 0:49 if it helps at all.

Alternatively, here's a current IRV2 member who owns an MVP Coast 22LFB that you can PM. Even if it's not the same model, it might give you a clue about MVP's construction practices:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/members/arizim-304261.html
Old 06-10-2021, 05:48 AM   #21

Could it be a redneck lift kit.

No, it's a redneck lowering kit. If this was mine, first, seeing that i wouldn't have bought it. If I had not see it and bought it, I would be taking everything out and replacing it. That is a serious breakdown on the side of the road waiting to happen and it's going to be a bad one. Just the right turn or bump and that thing is hitting the pavement and might barrel roll.

If you don't feel comfortable putting that back correctly, you should take it to a trailer shop. Otherwise, it can be fixed. Just take time and look at how it is supposed to work. You can get everything you need sent right to you at etrailer. They are good folks and I've ordered things from them and they take care of their customers.

You can easily just go to any trailer lot and look at some and take pictures of how it is supposed to be. I would be leery of any of the hardware that's on it and would start with all new hardware. It's not expensive. look at the tag on tour TT to get the proper weight rating. Hopefully there is a tag on the replaced axle. I would verify it's capacity is enough.

When you do start the fix, make triple dern sure it's blocked well and will not roll of fall in any way. Connecting it to a TV with it's brakes set and all wheels blocked is a good idea. And don't let any kids get under it.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:14 AM   #22

I would think the stock axles would have spring perches welded on the top or bottom.

Looks like someone added clamp on spring perches to aftermarket axles.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:27 AM   #23

It hurts my brain to even look at that mess.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:40 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizim View Post
Once again, thanks everyone for your input.

I will take the trailer for a test run and hope my theories hold true.

Aside from the mess 'that was'... I would just like to thank you for taking the 2nd set of pictures from the same angle. (most don't) Makes comparison easier!

JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:55 AM   #25

If you can figure out which set of saddles is the original (better quality welds?) you'll have a clue as to whether the axles were originally above or below the springs.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #26

I have to agree, that is wrong. I am by no means a trailer expert, all I can go on is from trucks and all the leaf springs I have ever seen are on top of the axle. I don't know if TT's have coil springs, but even they are on top of the axle between the axle and frame.
Good luck and stay safe.
Bill Croy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:02 PM   #27

Looks like the time I increased the height of my 5er to match my truck. I added square tubing to the frame. Worked great. I went from coast to coast with that set up. I had to be careful to maintain the proper alignment.
rkbeasley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 03:06 PM   #28
cwf

Wow. No. Wrong.

I wouldn't tow that except on back roads to the Shop.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote