Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #1

Are these necessary?

I was greasing the shackles on my 2009 MVP Coast and noticed the front axle hangers are resting on a square tube block. This seems odd as the TT is sitting level. I question that these blocks may have been placed there for shipping in order to keep the TT from rocking while moving. I would think that if the hangers are touching when level, wouldn't they hit continuously while traveling? I would expect maybe a rubber bump-stop above in case the axle travels to the frame.
Can someone enlighten me ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210603_115153.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	330800   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210603_115034.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	330801  

arizim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2021, 04:51 PM   #2

This looks all wrong to me. There shouldn't be any kind of steel block between the axle and the frame, the cradle on top doesn't even look like it's welded in place. You might be able to Jack the trailer up and get weight off that axle and pop the top saddle and piece of square tubing right out..

I also noticed that the cradle on the bottom of the axle between the axle and the springs looks like it's only barely tack welded to the axle, these are usually completely welded on especially if you have trailer brakes. The paint on that axle looks newer than the rear axle which makes me think someone has replaced the front axle, possibly doing a quick job on the road and never really did it correctly. The only other thing I can think of is a previous owner overloaded the trailer and the front axle kept bottoming out and this was their badly thought-out solution.

The only time I've seen an axle with cradles on the top and bottom is when someone flipped the axle and put it below the spring and they left the old bottom cradles on. Your axles are still on top of the spring which means they've not been flipped.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:15 PM   #3

That's not right. Doesn't who or why but it's wrong.
Jayco19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:26 PM   #4

Even without that sq tube block there is very little axle movement space. Almost looks like the spring should be above the axle. It sure looks odd.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:52 PM   #5

Those U bolts & saddle brackets don't look OEM either.

With the assumption that you didn't buy it new, I'm guessing maybe the previous owner was trying to fix a serious nose down situation.

That's just I wild guess, never saw anything like that either.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Those U bolts & saddle brackets don't look OEM either.

With the assumption that you didn't buy it new, I'm guessing maybe the previous owner was trying to fix a serious nose down situation.

That's just I wild guess, never saw anything like that either.
THIS^^^^

Rear Axle --- No Blocks, has shocks, OEM saddle Under the axle and U bolts are rusty

Front Axle --- Blocks (which aren't even tack welded in place), NO shocks, saddles top/bottom and NEW U bolts

Previous owner was trying to correct something but had NO clue how to do it....hence the jury rigged blocks
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:05 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
that is scary

makes you wonder if the trailer was so overloaded the previous person placed those blocks to rest on frame and let tires do the load carrying
scary scary
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2021 F250 or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 05:03 AM   #8

The more I look at this the odder it gets.

I'm no trailer suspension expert but isn't the equalizer bar upside-down?
Shouldn't it be like this ˄ , instead of this v?

And what is with that second bolt above the pivot bolt?

Looks like the front axle & spring has been changed too.

Also, could just be the camera angle, but is the rear axle bowed?
Old 06-05-2021, 06:15 AM   #9

Someone put all that junk on trying to fix something and what you have is a rigid suspension.

Go to E Trailer and look at suspension parts or search for trailer suspension pics and you will see the correct set ups.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:29 AM   #10

Looking at it a second time... I now realize it looks like the black square tubing/block looks like it is welded/attached to the frame, like someone added it, the put the top cradle on the axle to provide a surface for it to hit.

You esentially have no suspension movement with this setup.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:47 AM   #11

Could it be a redneck lift kit. Sure doesn't look right.
capt who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
The more I look at this the odder it gets.

I'm no trailer suspension expert but isn't the equalizer bar upside-down?
Shouldn't it be like this ˄ , instead of this v?

And what is with that second bolt above the pivot bolt?

Looks like the front axle & spring has been changed too.

Also, could just be the camera angle, but is the rear axle bowed?
Looks like an Equa-Flex equalizer or something similar. That would explain the extra bolt but there is still a whole lot of wrong going on there.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #13

Are these necessary?

Thanks everyone, I think this confirms my suspicion. I'll remove the square tubes ans see what happens.
arizim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:58 AM   #14

Personally, I'd want to see an identical trailer to see what stock looks like. There may be more amiss than you think.

One poster mentioned that the axles haven't been flipped. I know nothing about this brand of TT, but, since there's so little clearance above the axle, I'm wondering if the stock location is for the axle could possibly be below the springs. Could the PO possibly have lowered the TT for some reason (accessibility)? Once you remove the blocks your springs are going to flatten and your clearance will be even less.

If you look at some of the "for sale" photos of similar trailers can you tell if your's is lower. Maybe a friendly seller might send you a photo, it would be worth a few bucks.